Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The big Soligor thread!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone Smile I am new here and truth bee told will probably not be very active, but have some pics of my faders Soligor 400/6,3 - Serieal: 9712817. My fader even have the receipt from he bought it. But the main reason I am sharing these pics here is the mount which I cant quit figure out. Adapter ring is a M42x1, ( he used it on his Yashica) but the lens have a conical edge (which seems permanently attached) and the ring locks on with three screws. Trying to find adapter rings for my sisters Sony alpha and my own old Olympus OM.

Think its a type of T mount,
quote from wikipedia "Some T-mount lenses accept a T-adapter that lacks its threaded inner ring, and simply slides onto the T-mount lens. It is secured only by 3 set screws that match a channel on the lens barrel, such that the barrel is not deformed by the set screws and the adapter can therefore be removed with no damage." But that is all the information I can find. Perhaps a standard T/T2 threaded ring will fit ?
Sorry for the bad pictures, Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaletoB wrote:
Hello everyone Smile I am new here and truth bee told will probably not be very active, but have some pics of my faders Soligor 400/6,3 - Serieal: 9712817. My fader even have the receipt from he bought it. But the main reason I am sharing these pics here is the mount which I cant quit figure out. Adapter ring is a M42x1, ( he used it on his Yashica) but the lens have a conical edge (which seems permanently attached) and the ring locks on with three screws. Trying to find adapter rings for my sisters Sony alpha and my own old Olympus OM.

Think its a type of T mount,
quote from wikipedia "Some T-mount lenses accept a T-adapter that lacks its threaded inner ring, and simply slides onto the T-mount lens. It is secured only by 3 set screws that match a channel on the lens barrel, such that the barrel is not deformed by the set screws and the adapter can therefore be removed with no damage." But that is all the information I can find. Perhaps a standard T/T2 threaded ring will fit ?
Sorry for the bad pictures, Smile

reposted - to show pictures

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty good lens, I don't use mine a lot but I have had good results from it.

The mount is a T mount - and looking at the pictures you have slackened the 3 screws and removed the outer part of the T mount, the inner part with the taper is still on the lens. Put the outer part back on, tighten the screws and then unscrew the whole mount. The reason they are in 2 parts is to allow the lens to be rotated to line it up with the top of the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture fix and the reply. The lens T ring is rely stuck but will try som more. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info

http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/tmount/t-mount.html#47mm

try dipping the end in hot water to expand the metal and loosen, use a pipe wrench with someting protective eg bit of leather if necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Hi!

I got my first Soligor lens. I have some questions about it...

When it was made? The serial number is "No.M 156190. I saw some formulas how to check the manufacturer and year but can this be so old?

It seems that i'm not able to focus to infinity. Could it be that my m42->EOS adapter is not good?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

uto wrote:
Hi!

When it was made? The serial number is "No.M 156190. I saw some formulas how to check the manufacturer and year but can this be so old?

It seems that i'm not able to focus to infinity. Could it be that my m42->EOS adapter is not good?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Soligor/Tokina with TX mount Reply with quote

I've discovered how good some Soligor long teles can be, especially those made by Kino or Komine.
Then i started picking up all the Soligor lenses that i found interesting, from a Kioei (Acall) wide angle to a 800mm long focus made by Kino.
In the process, i kept track of the serial numbers, and i could correct/update the list of Soligor serials.
Some lenses were not marked "Soligor", but were identical to a Soligor example.
I have a preference for T2 lenses, better if old presets. I retrofit the best ones with a T2 mount for Pentax K. Simpler to use, like an M42 optic, and quick to mount on the camera.

This time i found a Tokina-made (serial starting with 1) Tele Auto f/5,5 300mm, very small and in TX mount.
Pictures attached.
There is a small chromed pushbutton to close the diaphragm, but no A-M switch.
Is there a way to close the iris to set aperture, with TX mounts?

Thanks

Paolo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is basically the same as the vivitar cyberjunkie. There is a link to a thread that discusses modding the momentary switch on the M42 T4 mount here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-tx-300mm-f55-and-f56.html

On mine I opened up the mount and put a bit of ballpoint pen tube around the pin to hold it down.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

uto wrote:
Hi!

Anyone able to decode this serial? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 2.5/135 covered in here? I went through all the pages of this thread and didn't find it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
This lens is basically the same as the vivitar cyberjunkie. There is a link to a thread that discusses modding the momentary switch on the M42 T4 mount here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-tx-300mm-f55-and-f56.html

On mine I opened up the mount and put a bit of ballpoint pen tube around the pin to hold it down.

Or you could use a flanged adapter that depresses the pin when mounted.
Most of the M42 adapters for mirrorless digital cameras are flanged these days.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does someone here have the 28-50/3.5-4.5 Soligor Lens?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Canon FD SSC 28-50mm f3.5 which I do not use,nice lens but I prefer my Tamron 24-48mm f3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Soligor 1=70-300mm 1:3.8-5.5 lens. Can anyone tell me year range and value? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
Does someone here have the 28-50/3.5-4.5 Soligor Lens?

I may have it but not as a Soligor. This is CPC Phase II, manufactured by Cimko who did make some lenses for Soligor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

uto wrote:
Hi!

Due to the design of the soligor engraving, this is a pre- C/D range lens
Date : beetween 1966-1967 and 1974

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting an updated list of Soligor serials, with a few of my own findings.

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
5 = Samyang ?
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
8 = Tokina?
9 = Kino
9 + 7 digits = Kobori ?
31 = ??? *
A = Komura #
H1 = Tokina ? #
H4 = Kawanon ? #
H5 = Komine #
H5 + 4 digits = Tokina #
H6 = Komine #
H6 + 4 digits = Itoh #
H7= Tokina #
H9= Tokina? #
H37 = Kawanon? #
M = ??? #
N = ??? #
Y + 4 digits = Fujita #
Y + > 4 digits = Tokina (and/or Komura?) #
R = Itoh? #
T = Tamron #
KA = Kyoei Acall

I can't provide pictures proving my findings, cause i don't have any Soligor lens with me at this time.
I came to my conclusions after seeing pictures of identical lenses branded with the name the original OEM

Here is a quick list of my M42 Soligor's:

Soligor (Tokina) C/D f2,8 24mm
Soligor (Kyoei Acall) f3,5 35mm
Soligor (Komine) f3,5 135mm
Soligor (Tokina) f2,8 135mm
Soligor (Tokina) Tele-Auto f3,5 135mm
Soligor (Komine) Tele-Auto f3,5 200mm
Soligor (Kino) f4,5 250mm
Soligor (Komine) f5,5 300mm
Soligor (Kino) f5,6 350mm
Soligor (Kino) f8 800mm
Soligor (Sun) C/D Duofocal MC f4 85-135mm

Plus one in P-KA mount:
Soligor (Tokina) C/D MC f2,8 24mm

I have other lenses that were also sold as Soligor's.
I remember at least two now:
Panagor (Kino) f2,5 28mm
Caspeco T (Komine) f3,5 180mm
for sure i have more...

One interesting observation.
Looking at Soligor lenses produced by different japanese lens makers (at least according to the serials already posted, and widely accepted),
it is evident that some mechanical parts are shared.
It seems that the cooperation between different companies was quite common, at least at that time.
This kind of collaborations, to reduce cost and increase margins, was uncommon elsewhere, i.e. in Germany

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Does anyone seen this lens? Bought it for around 10dollars.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AliMU96SZKzyhV2LM08q9lf7bXHM

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AliMU96SZKzyhV2LM08q9lf7bXHM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell something about producer and quality of this lens (5 digits serial):

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very much like a Tokina 3.5/200 i had once. An awful lens to be honest......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Seeking & Sharing Reply with quote

My preset Soligor 35mm f/2.8 is small (46mm filter thread) and has good sharpness across the frame.

I've been wondering who manufactured this lens? It appears the maker of No. 5... serial number lenses has yet to be positively identified. Or perhaps my lens precedes the number code?

On page 12 of this thread, marcusBMG showed a No. 276... 35mm which appears to be the same as my lens.
I believe it's agreed that #2... serials were made by Sun.

marcusBMG wrote:
By coincidence, both opportunistically purchased soligors arrived today, and both are classic style chrome eared t-mount 2xxxxx serials. Does that indicate Sun?

35mm f2.8

. . .

Also, on page 2 of this thread, kuuan shared a picture of a No. M 131... 25mm f/2.8 which appears to have the same styling as my 35.

kuuan wrote:
I have ...
a f2.8/25mm in M42

And earlier here on page 14, uto asked about a No. M 156... 135mm f/2.8 which has styling similar to my 35mm.

uto wrote:
Hi!

According to cyberjunkie's serial number list earlier on this page, M... serials are still a mystery. Might it be that my No. 5... and those No. M 1... lenses were also made by Sun?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Luis should know who manufactured this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly looking tele lenses, non auto, were made by Kino.
This kind of lenses (auto, silver ring above the diaphragm ring) are especially difficult to identify cause I believe different manufacturers were involved, making optics in "Soligor trim" that were only sold under the Soligor brand.
I never found a lens with similar barrel that was not marked Soligor... which makes the identification of the original maker very difficult.
On top of that, I have seen identical hardware, for example tripod rings, used on lenses that were supposedly (according to the serial number) made by different manufacturers.
The level of cooperation between different japanese third party lens makers is usually underestimated. German optical brands never had this kind of integration. If they had, we would know, cause we know a lot about German optical industry.
The are books and various publications dedicated to this subject, while these is very little about third party japanese brands.

Btw, the 135mm with serial starting with M is likely Sun, but I'm not sure at all, I wouldn't bet on it Smile

Last edited by cyberjunkie on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
That looks very much like a Tokina 3.5/200 i had once. An awful lens to be honest......

Serials starting with 8 usually indicate Tokina-build... but I found that a lens with the serial consisting in 5 digits, which means 8 + four other numbers, was a Sun (because identical to a lens marked Sun).
I don't remember the exact reference and I don't have the pictures in my laptop, but I am positively sure of what I have seen.
This info is integrated in the list I have already posted on this thread.

Because at present I have limited resources (read: money), and it seems I can't force myself to refrain from buying a vintage lens every now and then, I'm concentrating on inexpensive lenses. The two fields that attract me the most are Soligors and Cosina/Tomioka fifties.
I will dedicate another post about the latter, about Soligor C/D family of lenses I have a question:
I have concentrated on primes, for example the C/D P line, but I neglected all zooms: is there any C/D zoom that you tried and that proved to be unexpectedly good?
If there are Vivitar Series 1 zooms, even quite old like the 90-180mm Flat Field, that are still quite good on modern high-Mpixel sensors, I can't believe that all the C/D zooms are just average (or worse). There must be one or two of them that stand out...