Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The big Soligor thread!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 400mm, under another name, as well as a 300/5.6 and a 500mm/8 and I also think they are Itoh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor lenses were made by many more than that -

Tokina, Kiron, Nittoh/Komine, Nissin/Sankor, Kyoei, Kawakami/Kawanon, Cosina, Fujita, Sun, and more besides.

They were in the lens rebranding business for @30 years, so there is a lot out there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the Soligors are seen as Hanimex or Optomax too. Certainly most of the Auto series of the mid 60s which were mostly Tokinas and had H serials are commonly seen as Hanimex. These 60s Tokinas are usually decent performers and very well made.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first set of pics suggests this Itoh 400mm is a rather average performer. Interesting and distinctive lens though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been quite happy with a Soligor Wide Auto 21mm f/3.8 by Tokina. Equipped with T4 mount.
Still quite affordable for this focal length.

Excellent resolution, center is very sharp, and color is rich and warm. Low to nil aberrations.
72mm filter diameter....could benefit from a hood to control flaring. But overall, it handles that well too. (last shot)

Build is very good, and works well for landscapes as well. A great lens buy.

DSC03072_Soligor 21mm f3.8 T4 by wNG 555, on Flickr
DSC03071c_Soligor 21mm f3.8 T4 by wNG 555, on Flickr
sOLE bACI 5 by wNG 555, on Flickr

Last edited by WNG555 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Soligor 400mm f5.6 's Reply with quote

i think I've got the 400mm f6.3's sussed, but I don't know anything about the f5.6's. There appears to be two varieties:

38xxxx serials

77xxxx serial

Any info?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 400mm f5.6 's Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
i think I've got the 400mm f6.3's sussed, but I don't know anything about the f5.6's. There appears to be two varieties:

38xxxx serials

77xxxx serial

Any info?

I saw one the same as the bottom lens at the camera fair yesterday, also with Olympus OM mount and it had a H 7****** serial number which indicates a Tokina, and a bargain for £20

The top one has the semi gloss black finish of the CD lens range, at least all my CD lenses have that finish, and they all seem to be Tokina's as well. The 3****** number on that lens is attributed to SUN, and it does have the look of a big old SUN zoom that I've got somewhere.

My 400 5.6 is a Kino / Kiron 'chrome eared' model with a 97***** number.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I doubt the tokina attribution is because they don't look like either of the tokina own nameplate f5.6's: tokina sd 400mm, tokina rmc 400mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Soligor 135mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Soligor 135mm f1.8

SNXT6581

SNXT6577

Sample: @1.8 on Fuji X-T1

Soligor 135_1-8_SNXT6815

Soligor 135_1-8_SNXT6807

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: T4 to TX convert Reply with quote

So this is how to convert your T4 mount soligor to use a TX PK mount:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/311306-converting-t4-lenses-tx-k-mount-adapter.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 to TX convert Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
So this is how to convert your T4 mount soligor to use a TX PK mount:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/311306-converting-t4-lenses-tx-k-mount-adapter.html

There's a simpler, non destructive method which I have described with pictures somewhere on the forum ages ago.
I can't remember the exact details, I'll have to get the lenses out and look. Basically, one mount fits the other OK, but try it the other way around and the mount jams in the lens. The problem is the ratchet pawl that grips the adapter doesn't lift high enough, so it can jam and only grips on maybe one tooth. Unscrew the release button part on the lens and make a thin shim - I used some flexible plastic from some packaging that was less than 0.5mm thick - to space the button / pawl assembly away from the lens.

Hacking that back plate for the pin to move freely didn't seem to be a problem when I did it, I'll check again though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar has a breechlock Canon mount. The Soligor has a M42 mount.

I have raised the catch on the Vivitar lens with a thin plastic shim, not much thicker than a sheet of paper. Both mounts click into place with three clicks and release easily.

I can swop mounts and both work on the other lens OK, all the aperture works fine. The Vivitar mount on the Soligor lens is fiddly for some reason, the breechlock ring turning doesn't help, but it does go in without any force.

The curved slot in the back plate is not a problem on these lenses. The guy on the Pentax Forum has modified the lens for a different reason I think - possibly something to do with the rotation of the aperture ring? both the Vivitar and Soligor have two sets of ap' marks - clockwise and anti clockwise. The Vivitar has a long slot as the modified one on the Pentax forum has, and it has three forks. The Soligor has a short slot and two forks. So I'm thinking that maybe a Nikon, Olympus or some other mount needs that long slot?

All I wanted was to use the M42 mount on both lenses, which I achieved. Being able to swap them might have been luck?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've usually been able to swap M42 mounts between T4 and TX.

I've had inconsistent experiences with the PK mount. I have a vague recollection that my TX Pk mount did fit on a T4 mount lens. But it certainly doesn't fit on my recently acquired 28mm vivitar. As the posted thread i linked to indicates, there is an aperture pin that gets in the way.

I should have another look at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get the M42 Soligor adapter into the Vivitar lens I had to shim the catch, it wasn't that adapter wouldn't lock in place - it wouldn't go into the right position because the pawl stopped it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Soligor lenses from the 1960ies look remarkably similar as many Miranda SLR lenses. Both were manufactured by Allimatsu (Tokyo).

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/miranda_programm.jpg

Both Allimatsu and Miranda were part of the larger AIC company, which went bankrupt in 1976. The name "Soligor" suvived, but manufacturing was outsourced to different companies.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Early Soligor lenses from the 1960ies look remarkably similar as many Miranda SLR lenses. Both were manufactured by Allimatsu (Tokyo).

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/miranda_programm.jpg

Both Allimatsu and Miranda were part of the larger AIC company, which went bankrupt in 1976. The name "Soligor" suvived, but manufacturing was outsourced to different companies.

Stephan

Allimatsu is the name of the company which sold soligor lenses and supplied miranda lenses to mirando co
NEVER a lens was manufactured by allimatsu which was ONLY a trading company
They supplied from ABSOLUTELY ALL independant lens manufacturer (except if my memory is exact from makinon et perhaps to be checked from cimko) : Tokina, sun , kowa, kino , komine..............

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding another Soligor to the big reference thread.....

Soligor C/D 28-200mm f/3.8-5.5 Zoom+Macro. A push-pull zoom. Unknown Japanese manufacturer.

Mine is Canon FD mount, in excellent condition. Found only one opinion online that the lens is pathetically bad. Not much online about it.
Found this copy for next to nothing, thought I'd see for myself, it's a C/D lens, how bad could it actually be?

First off, it's big and heavy and well built, 72mm dia front end. The f-stops seem dubious and likely adjusted by marketing. More f/4-5.6 I bet. The T-stop rating must be much lower as the lens is consistently much darker in the EVF than similar zooms at same settings/F.L., this made exposures difficult, exacerbated by a short 45 degree focus rotation. The MC seems to be quite good, colors are pleasing, no fringing, or aberrations. But the ability to get a sharp photo is next to impossible.
Over a hundred test shots, only one photo was focused spot on. Which revealed the lens' optical performance is capable, but squandered in the execution.
I was never a fan of super zooms, and avoided them. I got lax and curious, and now this one has reinforced my opinion...few if any vintage zooms one is willing to live with and actually use. More modern 18-200 or 18-300mm zooms are out there, and the lure is strong to see if there is a one-lens option.

This one is to be avoided. Pic of the front of the lens...

One shot nailing the focus. No sharpening or color adjustments.

Last edited by WNG555 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second Soligor looks pretty much like my Sun-made Universar(300/4.5)

The girdle-like metal focus ring, all this fake silver, it just shouts Sun. Can you pull its front end for a lens shade? Very practical idea.

Unfortunately the lens images from the big Sun thread are gone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Allimatsu is the name of the company which sold soligor lenses and supplied miranda lenses to mirando co
NEVER a lens was manufactured by allimatsu which was ONLY a trading company
They supplied from ABSOLUTELY ALL independant lens manufacturer (except if my memory is exact from makinon et perhaps to be checked from cimko) : Tokina, sun , kowa, kino , komine..............

Thanks for the correction & clarification!

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: soligor 600mm Reply with quote

Filched this pic off an ebay ad.

Luis had a KA serial one according to his original thread, ascribed to ? kawanon. What do you think of this one?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody ! Here are my two lenses:

80-200/4,5
85/1.5

I can not insert pictures yet Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgioiv wrote:
Hello everybody ! Here are my two lenses:

80-200/4,5
85/1.5

I can not insert pictures yet Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85 / 1.5 could be interesting, how does it perform?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photo with the 85/1.5: f 1.5, Canon 6D love this glass Smile)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two recent acquisitions: 200/2.8 C/D and Twin tele (135/4.5, 225/7.7).