Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7R with manual Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Sony A7R with manual Lenses Reply with quote

Hi there,

I want to get myself a new Camera for photography (having had to sell the last one for an expensive video tripod).

If I had the money I'd grab the A7R II but for photography the A7R seems very nice as well and is used quite affordable.

My concerns:

I just have old (Zeiss Jena), fully manual glass and I intend to get the Contax 35-135 & 100-300 further more. As I heard
there are issues withe the shutter vibrations of the A7R is this an issue with non-IS lenses and in handheld situations?

What are your experiences with the R and manual glass?

Has anyone worked with the the 5-axis-st. of the A7 II --> is there an improvement with manual glass?

How does the A7 II hold up to the R? IQ is above all for me!

Thanks for your advises.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an A7R II is far out from my budget. I could shoot 1/60 handheld without any shake, I am so happy with A7R.

Last edited by Attila on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve had both and the IQ is better on the R. Handling is better on A7 II and the IBIS is very handy. A7 II also got uncompressed RAW after a firmware update recently. A7R have no AA filter which gives better sharpness. There are no real winner IMO. The A7R will give you better IQ in those situations when everything goes as planed, but the A7 II will give you more keepers. This is just how I felt...

I would say that the A7 II is a better choice for legacy lenses in general. This is just an opinion based on my personal preferenses and shooting style and others may disagree with me. If you are shooting portraits and landscape, the R will be the best choice IQ wise.

Old rangefinder lenses has less problems on the A7 II. Longer lenses also works better with the A7 II (IBIS and lower resolution) and you do not need super fast shutter times to avoid movment blur. The shutter on the R is really noisy and you will be spottet for that if you try to shoot people on the streets or those staring eyes you get in the church when covering a wedding.

A7 II feels more like a right choice for me because of the better grip for my big hands and the IBIS which makes it easier to get sharp results. My infrastructure is also aging and those hugh A7R files slowed down my computer more than I liked.

Tell more about what you shoot... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: IBIS needs resetting for each focal length? Reply with quote

On the Olymus MFT, its stabilization needs resetting for each focal length. I presume that this will be the same for the Sony. If so, a manual zoom lens will have you faffing around with a menu every time you change field of view.

Experience?

p.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: IBIS needs resetting for each focal length? Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
On the Olymus MFT, its stabilization needs resetting for each focal length. I presume that this will be the same for the Sony. If so, a manual zoom lens will have you faffing around with a menu every time you change field of view.

Experience?

p.

Yes. You may assign the focal length setting to a custom button for easier access.