Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pellicle Dslr?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Pellicle Dslr? Reply with quote

Hi guys, took my RT out for a spin at the weekend, it was a joy to use and was like going back in time 25 years.
We all know the advantages and disadvantages of having a pellicle mirror and it got me wondering, especially with the advancement in electronic viewfinders, is there a place for a pellicle mirror on a modern Dslr, maybe an EOS D1N RS or an F1D?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony did use it in the SLT series. I have never used them, so i can't comment further.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional optical element in the way light has to move to the sensor will not make sense, optical quality will become more worse.
In film based times pellicle mirror was necessary for high speed sequences used in Nikon F2high speed e.g.
Today You can choice between DSLR (with mirror up option in better cams) and evil cams without mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
An additional optical element in the way light has to move to the sensor will not make sense, optical quality will become more worse.
In film based times pellicle mirror was necessary for high speed sequences used in Nikon F2high speed e.g.
Today You can choice between DSLR (with mirror up option in better cams) and evil cams without mirror.

Uhm, I'm not sure how it's possible people don't know about Sony's SLT technology (T stands for translucent which is essentially the pellicle mirror). Sony has made SLT cameras for about 5 years now including their top level cameras like the A77 and A99 series, and dropped DSLR entirely in favour of SLT. The Translucent (pellicle) mirror has virtually no effect on image quality other than the fact it "eats" about 1/3EV. Also the LA-EA2 and LA-EA4 A-mount to E-mount adapters use a pellicle mirror. I have the LA-EA2 and it doesn't seem to have any effect on image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only pelicle mirror camera I have used was the original one - the Canon Pellix. It was a horrible experience as the VF was a LOT dimmer and harder to focus.

I'm sure Sony's SLT is much better though, being nearly half a century on from the Pellix.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Translucent (pellicle) mirror has virtually no effect on image quality other than the fact it "eats" about 1/3EV. Also the LA-EA2 and LA-EA4 A-mount to E-mount adapters use a pellicle mirror. I have the LA-EA2 and it doesn't seem to have any effect on image quality.

I have the LA-EA4 adapter and tested it against a simple adapter (without translucent mirror). My conclusion was that the translucent mirror has no effect on image quality, indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Everything you always wanted to know about the semi-transparent mirror technology (but were afraid to ask)":

http://www.lenstip.com/137.1-article-Everything_you_always_wanted_to_know_about_the_semi-transparent_mirror_technology.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Gerald. Really interesting.
The conclusion is in accordance with the users common experience with the pellicle mirrors from the Sony cameras:

"...a fast lens might be not limited by diffraction…if it was limited previously at all. It may be still significant if you can find a lens faster than f/2.8 and with a resolution higher than 200 lp/mm. As there are no local disturbances (high-frequency) f/2.8 lenses and slower won’t lose their resolution in a noticeable or even measurable way."

If I understend well that means that a difference in IQ may be noticed only with a lens faster than f/2.8 on a camera with more 34.5 MPX (200lp/mm), if the lens outperformes the sensor on wider than 2.8 apertures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, interesting comments, my main reasons for starting this thread was the advantages, no lag or vibration caused by mirror movement, no blackout in the viewfinder. I agree that losing a 1/3 stop of light in the viewfinder is frustrating but with fast modern lenses becoming ever more affordable is this a real issue?
Surely the idea of a full blown Dslr with aspects of rangefinder operation would be beneficial.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used an a99 to know what the VF is like but I have briefly used an A7R and while the EVF is excellent, it still can't match the optical VF of the a850 or a900. I doubt the a99 VF can match up to the a850/a900 so any advantage from the fixed mirror is mitigated by that. Mirror vibration isn't really an issue, it's so well damped on the a850/a900 and I've never found the blackout to be a problem. Depends on how you use the camera I suppose, those things might be more of an issue to someone else.

I am sad that Sony has dropped DSLRs though, means the upgrade to my a850 will have to have an EVF which is a downgrade in that respect.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a mistake! Embarassed
In fact 200lp/mm = 400pix/mm.
That means the sensor should be 138 MPX! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Surely the idea of a full blown Dslr with aspects of rangefinder operation would be beneficial.

Sony A99 is full blown "DSLR" with aspects or rangefinder operation, currently the best one with A77II being number 2 with the exception that they're not actually DSLRs but SLTs and thus have an EVF instead of OVF. Try one in a store or rent one and see how you like it. Smile

As far as the EVF vs OVF debate goes, both have their strengths and weakneses. An EVF can never match an OVF in terms of refresh rate because with an OVF that's infinite. On the other hand no OVF will get even close to an EVF in terms of focusing aids such as focus peaking and magnified view. An OVF also can't show you the effects of different settings such as white balance, picture styles, exposure compensation, etc in real time. And much less information can be presented in an OVF. I'm not sure an OVF that can display a live histogram for example even exists. In the end it's really a matter of what you prefer and which functions are important to you. Personally I think in practical use a good EVF greatly surpasses any OVF and the advantages of EVFs outweigh the disadvantages by a large margin.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLT is an interim technology used by Sony to build cameras that are basically "mirrorless" with phase detection autofocus capability. SLT cameras use phase detection autofocus even during video recording, which a traditional DSLR cannot do. SLT also allows the electronic viewfinder be used for video recording, whereas the optical viewfinder of a DSLR gets totally dark in the same situation.

One of the disadvantages of SLT technology is a loss of light of little less than half stop, but this loss is negligible in most practical situations. The pellicle mirror is very delicate and is easily dented if hit by a solid object. Cleaning the pellicle mirror must be done very carefully because it scratches easily. On the other hand, the replacement of the pellicle mirror is a very simple and can be made by the user himself. And, if you use a SLT camera only with manual focus lenses (my case), the pellicle mirror can be removed altogether because manual focusing can be done using Focus Peaking or Magnify Focus, which don't depend on the pellicle mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think EVF's are getting very good.
I borrowed a pals Fuji XT-1 and its EVF is really amazing, much better than the A7.
Thats an EVF even better than optical.
More clear, difference between in and out of focus is precisely as in the final output, and very very easy to manually focus.
Optical VF's are never perfect as there is usually some compromise between brightness (fresnel) and a plain groundglass which can be dark. This is true even on excellent old film cameras like Pentax LX.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Only pelicle mirror camera I have used was the original one - the Canon Pellix. It was a horrible experience as the VF was a LOT dimmer and harder to focus.

I'm sure Sony's SLT is much better though, being nearly half a century on from the Pellix.

I had a Canon RT once and I liked it, a bit dimmer VF, yes, but not bad at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:

I have the LA-EA4 adapter and tested it against a simple adapter (without translucent mirror). My conclusion was that the translucent mirror has no effect on image quality, indeed.

...that´s so true, thanks Dan!