Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance that there is a AF confirm chip that works with the T4i/650d? From all the places I've looked everyone seems to have problems with this camera and the AF chips that work on previous modles (i.e. T3i, T2i, etc).

TIA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TIA.

I had no issues at all with my EOS af confirm adapters. Theys come from big-is eBay store.
I used them on 400D, 40D, 5DMk2.

I dont know why they're would have a problem with the 650D.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about focus confirm chips and manual lenses.

So I have purchased a few manual focus lenses along with some mounts that have af-confirm chips on them, like the M42 and Pentacon six to canon mounts.

So my question is do focal lengths matter? Most of the adapters are programmed with 50mm f1.4, so If I use, say a 80mm CZJ, does the AF register this as a 50mm therefore giving false AF readings?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used m42 lenses before with the m42 to eos adapter with af chip on canon 300D with no problems, just picked up a 500D, is there any known problems with the 500D?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

No problems at all in both cases :

AF confirm works for 50mm as well as 200mm, or any other fcal length.

and no issues for 500D.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I may try my new lenses out tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasbest wrote:
Thank you, I may try my new lenses out tonight.

Go ahead Thomas and your pictures with them are welcome here. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which thread to use for this little "adventure" of mine, since it's more about my stupidity than any real DSLR issues Very Happy

Yesterday I took my good old Canon for a walk after a real long break. I started focusing on something, but the picture in the viewfinder was blurry all the time. I also noticed that the exposure indicator is blurry and hardly visible, so I assumed it could be some battery issue after a few months of not using the camera. It also crossed my mind that the veiwfinder might be failing.
I took some pictures "blindly", going for the least blurry image in the viewfinder while focusing. Back home I asked google what the problem might be and came across a thread where someone pointed out that this might occur due to the diopter adjustment being wrongly set. I never ever touched mine on either camera, since I shoot in glasses, so I didn't consider that a possible explanation at the beginning, but went to check just in case. It came out that it was exactly the reason for the issue - once turned to the right position, all was back to normal... Miraculously I still managed to get some in focus shots from the morning.
Well, I'm glad that the camera is fine, but I it was so stupid of me not to think about it in the first place. Women and electronic devices... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lena.
I had the same "issue" some years ago... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hello Lena.
I had the same "issue" some years ago... Wink

Me too Lena, it's easily done! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I feel much better now Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of this?

Click here to see on Ebay

looks slighly cheap ..

also might need calibration but don't know where to find shims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my screen on Eos 40D and 5DMkII.
I bought them directly from Canon online store and it was not expensive.
For 5D MkII, it's the Eg- series.

Very easy to change.
Canon official guide :
file:///C:/Users/FANAL/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/NJZIJ4N7/CDLC_FocusingScreens_QuickGuide.pdf

Personnaly, no need for calibration.

Beware, the ebay link shows a very bad way of handling the focusing screen as it is very fragile and it's very easy to scratch it.
Screens must be held by their sides.
Don't even try to touch them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkopec1 wrote:

So I have purchased a few manual focus lenses along with some mounts that have af-confirm chips on them, like the M42 and Pentacon six to canon mounts.

So my question is do focal lengths matter? Most of the adapters are programmed with 50mm f1.4, so If I use, say a 80mm CZJ, does the AF register this as a 50mm therefore giving false AF readings?

Welcome mkopec1

Lens focal length and focal length reported to camera by AF confirm chip do not have to agree for AF system to work proper.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

no split screen for 5D .. or is there - some souces say Ec series fit for 5D but Canon just for 1D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Olivier wrote:

no split screen for 5D .. or is there - some souces say Ec series fit for 5D but Canon just for 1D

I see one here :
http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d2en.htm
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=21_98&products_id=761

Maybe there is a cheaper one elsewhere.
Ask B&H if this one is ok for 5DMkII.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?=Canon+EC-B+Focusing+Screen&N=10012592&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Olivier wrote:

I see one here :
http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/5d2en.htm
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=21_98&products_id=761

Maybe there is a cheaper one elsewhere.
Ask B&H if this one is ok for 5DMkII.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?=Canon+EC-B+Focusing+Screen&N=10012592&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

I wonder if focusingscreen.com adapts the 1D Ec-B by hand? They are different shapes than one sold at bhphoto?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Yzas

I can buy Ec-B locally for only 30 euros, I think I'll grind it myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
mkopec1 wrote:

Welcome mkopec1

Lens focal length and focal length reported to camera by AF confirm chip do not have to agree for AF system to work proper.

+1