Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/bigiscamera Apparently it's now 'big_is camera'

The last Nikon-EOS adapter I got from them was the best fitting adapter I've had, no play at all between lens and camera. All my lenses have their own adapters, which is lucky because I'm not sure I could get this one off. Laughing
I don't know if it makes a difference to the fit, but none of mine have chips on them (never accurate enough).

Thx.
But there's 0 listing for me.
Is it possible that in France I can't access his shop due to some kind of limitations ? Shocked

I guess that's possible yeah, maybe someone from France burned big_is at some point. Sad
Are you wanting to get something from big_is?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at present, but I keep in mind equiping each of my best MF lenses with its own EMF adapter so that my Dslr record the exifs.
I already did that with my Jupiter-6 2.8/180. Smile

Do you mind you access to its whole items listing with all the kind of adapters ?

Gary, I have installed Magic Lantern and it works.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Not at present, but I keep in mind equiping each of my best MF lenses with its own EMF adapter so that my Dslr record the exifs.

Let me know if you want to buy one, I'll get it for you and send it on.

Great to hear you've got Magic Lantern, I'm sure you'll enjoy the benefits it brings. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Great to hear you've got Magic Lantern, I'm sure you'll enjoy the benefits it brings. Very Happy

Thank you very much Gary for your proposal.
Big-IS answered me that he is still selling and if I want something, just ask him.
What is anoying is that I can't see items anymore.

About ML, I sure shall enjoy the benefits... when I'll have some time to go into the user's manual. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Olivier wrote:

Thank you very much Gary for your proposal.
Big-IS answered me that he is still selling and if I want something, just ask him.
What is anoying is that I can't see items anymore.

About ML, I sure shall enjoy the benefits... when I'll have some time to go into the user's manual. Wink

There's a lot to read in the manual, a lot of it is for video so I can ignore that. Wink

I use focus peaking, Advanced HDR, Live View contrast adjustment, Intervalometer and sometimes trap focus. I haven't needed anything else yet but it's nice to know there are many more features if I want them. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried focus peaking at first and it works well.

Maybe we should create a new topic about ML in the Dslr section. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I tried focus peaking at first and it works well.

Maybe we should create a new topic about ML in the Dslr section. Smile

Or would it be considered an accessory? I've wondered where to start a thread about it. Canon owners should know they have the option of opening up a whole new world in their cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a new topic in the Dslr's section :
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1354329.html#1354329

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: EOS-M and Tamron SP 60-300 Reply with quote

Hi all! First post and all. (please be gentle Smile )

Bought a new camera a couple of weeks ago, an Eos-M kit.
It's really a nice little camera, with the new firmware. (That's the 2.02, haven't tried ML yet)
Well anyway, I recalled using a SLR many many years ago, looked around the house and found it,
an old Chinon (Pentax K) with a few lenses, most crap, but one that I would like to try on the small mirrorless Eos-M,
and that's the Tamron SP 60-300.
Now I'm all new to this, have only been using pocket cameras for the last 20 years, like any tourist Smile
Is it possible to use this Lens on the EOS-m?
I guess I need two things :
First :
AF-confirm-Tamron-Adaptall-2-Lens-Canon-EOS Click here to see on Ebay
And also:
Mount-Adapter-Ring-For-EF-lens-to-EOS-M Click here to see on Ebay

Will this work?
Any suggestions or advice is highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance /M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: EOS-M and Tamron SP 60-300 Reply with quote

Hello Max and welcome onboard. Very Happy
Don't be afraid, if you're Wise and polite, nobody will bark against you. Wink
Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Because it is your first post here, your links don't work (antispam measures).
Now it should work fine.
It's the same for your first images posted.

About your question, there is a more direct way to adapt your Tamron Adaptall-2 60-300mm to your Eos M.
Here are some Adpatall-2 to Eos-M adapters :
http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_nkw=adapter+adaptall-2+to+eos-m&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&LH_SubLocation=1&_fsradio2=%26LH_PrefLoc%3D1&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&_salic=71&_saact=71&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

max113 wrote:
Hi all! First post and all. (please be gentle Smile )

Bought a new camera a couple of weeks ago, an Eos-M kit.
It's really a nice little camera, with the new firmware. (That's the 2.02, haven't tried ML yet)
Well anyway, I recalled using a SLR many many years ago, looked around the house and found it,
an old Chinon (Pentax K) with a few lenses, most crap, but one that I would like to try on the small mirrorless Eos-M,
and that's the Tamron SP 60-300.
Now I'm all new to this, have only been using pocket cameras for the last 20 years, like any tourist Smile
Is it possible to use this Lens on the EOS-m?
I guess I need two things :
First :
AF-confirm-Tamron-Adaptall-2-Lens-Canon-EOS Click here to see on Ebay
And also:
Mount-Adapter-Ring-For-EF-lens-to-EOS-M Click here to see on Ebay

Will this work?
Any suggestions or advice is highly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance /M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: EOS-M and Tamron SP 60-300 Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hello Max and welcome onboard. Very Happy

Thanks!
Olivier wrote:

About your question, there is a more direct way to adapt your Tamron Adaptall-2 60-300mm to your Eos M.
Here are some Adpatall-2 to Eos-M adapters :
http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_nkw=adapter+adaptall-2+to+eos-m&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&LH_SubLocation=1&_fsradio2=%26LH_PrefLoc%3D1&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&_salic=71&_saact=71&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Thanks for your reply.
I've been looking at those "Tamron -> EF-M adaptors" but I didn't really like it.
Partly because I can't "fool" the camera using a "AF Confirm EMF Program Chip" like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231065201678 ( I think there is no such device made for the EF-M mount)
but also because then Original "EF/EF-s -> EF-M adaptor" has a rigid tripod mount.

But I'm also thinking that I'm over emphasise the importance of "AF Confirm", perhaps now
with with Magic Lantern and focus peeking it's better not to use any "program chip" in the mount?

/M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: EOS-M and Tamron SP 60-300 Reply with quote

max113 wrote:
But I'm also thinking that I'm over emphasise the importance of "AF Confirm", perhaps now
with with Magic Lantern and focus peeking it's better not to use any "program chip" in the mount?

I would suggest you're right. In my experience the vast majority of the 'af confirm' adapters are wholly inaccurate. In fact I was so annoyed by them that I removed all the chips with pliers and threw them in the bin.
With Magic Lantern you have focus peaking, follow focus and trap focus (there may be others too, which I can't recall). The only thing we're missing is focus peaking in the viewfinder (I'd love that). If most of your subjects are stationary you don't need af confirmation really, focus peaking and the zoom facility are more than enough to nail focus.
For moving subjects, I've proven many times that af confirmation is not needed. I have loads of tack sharp photos of birds in flight (fast birds too) it takes practice and the right technique but it's not very difficult. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Magic Lantern is available for the Eos-M system.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/downloads.html

About AF-confirm, I use it on my adapters. It's a good help for approaching "right in focus point". I then adjust relying on my eyes.
Changing the viewfinder screen helps.
But again is it possible with the Eos-M ?

An af confirm adaptall-2 to EF adapter mounted on a EF to Eos-M can be the better solution.
Can you make focus using the rear lcd screen with magnifying ?

Cheers
Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys, I guess I am going to join these EOS MF threads pretty often now cause I just bought a 6D my first FF digital camera and it's going to be my main camera! Can't wait to try my Cosina 55/1.2 and smc takumar 50/1.4 on it.

But first, can anyone point me to any great places that has a list of compatible M42 lenses for the 6D that won't hit the mirror? It's kind of confusing especially when I'm new to this system.

Secondly, are there any M42-EF adapters that won't allow infinity focus but would make adapting all M42 lenses safe? That would be a lot more convenient instead of constantly checking for compatibility online. Something like the M42-PK mount adapters, there's one that fits inside the PK mount but requires a key to open, and there's the other one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-to-Pentax-PK-Mount-Lens-Adapter-/151049750799?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item232b44490f

that does not support infinity but doesn't require key to remove so it's a lot easier to handle and not have to risk not being able to remove it. It doesn't allow infinity but the distance is miniscule I find the results of stopping down a bit more when doing infinity photography such as landscapes acceptable.

So would like to know if there's a similar adapter for M42-EF that plays on the safe side and won't risk harming the camera cause it's a lot more expensive than the lens usually.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All informations needed are there.
http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

I'm quite sure that those which don't hit the Mirror of the 5D MkII will not on the 6D.

If you want to use those which hit the Mirror, you can use Liveview and keep infinity, or a macro extension ring but loose infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys Smile
Just got the Helios 44-3 and aluminum M39 mount Helios 44-2 with 13 blades and M39 to M42 step up ring .Helios 44-3 on Fotodiox adapter with chip ...focusing ring binds against the adapter ...loosen up the 3 small screws on it...don't take them out !!( too easy to lose them lol ) ring will just slide out ..use metal sanding block/sand paper...takes about 10 min to take off about 1mm of the back end (mount side) needed to clear adapter..you are done....no issues with mirror at either end ...same with aluminum M39 with step up ring . Both reach infinity...both are awesome lenses Smile . Fotodiox adapter with chip..awesome...focus confirmation works and nails it on Canon 5Dc ( the original...MKI ).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get a new focusing screen for 5d mk1? Or some way to calibrate the original one. Mine gives me too much front focus.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fikkser wrote:
Anyone know where to get a new focusing screen for 5d mk1? Or some way to calibrate the original one. Mine gives me too much front focus.

Thanks

Amazon?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Camera-Focusing-Screen-EE-S/dp/B000BS3ROC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407678655&sr=8-5&keywords=focusing+screen+canon+5d

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adorama ?
http://www.adorama.com/ICASEED.html

or look for Canon Focusing Screen Ee-A or Ee-D or Ee-S on eBay ?

The Ee-A focusing screen is the std focusing screen delivered with the camera.
The Ee-D is the one with a grid.
For optimum use for manual focusing or seeing depth of field with the 5D and fast lenses : Ee-S screen. Sadly this screen is great for fast glass, but dim with slow lenses.

Normal price was 35$.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Not very easy to find info about stuff for a 9 year old camera any longer. Smile All my efforts to find something on ebay returned stuff for the mk2 or mk3.

I use a few lenses that have max aperture around 3,5 - is the Ee-S too dim for that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fikkser wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Not very easy to find info about stuff for a 9 year old camera any longer. Smile All my efforts to find something on ebay returned stuff for the mk2 or mk3.

I use a few lenses that have max aperture around 3,5 - is the Ee-S too dim for that?

Imho, f/3.5 is not too dim, f/5.6 is not too dim, but by f/8 viewfinder is dim -- I've had problems only in dim light...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
fikkser wrote:

Imho, f/3.5 is not too dim, f/5.6 is not too dim, but by f/8 viewfinder is dim -- I've had problems only in dim light...

I agree with your description, by f8 things are getting a bit difficult but, of course, it depends on the available light at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
fikkser wrote:

I agree with your description, by f8 things are getting a bit difficult but, of course, it depends on the available light at the time.

Changing focus screens is quick, less than 30 seconds. I usually change to stock screen for f/3.5 lenses; use Ee-S for larger aperture lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for useful responses! Will get an Ee-S. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision I would say. I got one and it's really very helpful even when the photographer is as blind as I am Wink