Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mystery Lens: massive Double Gauss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Mystery Lens: massive Double Gauss Reply with quote

Hi all,

Any idea what this is/where this lens might be from?
It's a double-Gauss lens with eight elements in six groups
http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritagefutures/5017011205/

details on measurements and lens cross-section accessible from the above image.

It's an aerial lens, I am sure but from which camera does it stem??

Also, does anyone out there own
Rudolf Kingslake, A history of the photographic lens, Academic Press 1989
If so, could I ask for a digital photo (readable) or scan of page 151 please. Google books lacks that page which may be significant in me being able to identify this double Gauss eight-element lens that I am struggllng with.
Thanks!

PS
I posted the ID query already on flickr and APUG, alas to no avail so far. Hoping amongst this crowd ore those who know.

Last edited by heritagefutures on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:28 am; edited 10 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Lens: massive Double Gauss Reply with quote

Something wrong with your link, post it again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed
(finally)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doubtlessly is something aerial, and modernish - positively jet age (given the pressure compensation vents). Aerial photography or military aviation history forums are more likely to be able to identify it - the more so as it will probably have been classified until ten or twenty years ago...

As it will have come from some high-speed or high altitude recon plane flown in Australia, it might be worth while to investigate into what cameras the RAAF flew in their F-111's and Phantoms.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo
very intriguing.. no, I got it from the US. I always thought the vents were for cooling or heating. Never thought of pressure compensation.., but with high altitude that might make sense...
Dirk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating/anti fog vents are usually behind a front cover glass or the front element - these vents throughout the barrel usually were put there to prevent warping due to pressure differences.

But if it is from the US, it can be anything - nobody else produced as much recon gear in cold war times...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I recall having seen some lenses with heating wires stretched across them....

so now then on to which cameras that could have come from. The only identification is the number in the cast middle section...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dirk

I have the Kingslake book. Unfortunately, the Wild Aviogon is not your lens.

I've had a quick flick through the book and can't find a match. The Leitz Summar looks similar if you add an meniscus lens at each end.

Mark

(Unfortunately, I can't see how to add pictures to the reply)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark
Post them now as the first post you make can not contain images or links as it is an anti spam feature. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Hi Dirk

I have the Kingslake book. Unfortunately, the Wild Aviogon is not your lens.

I've had a quick flick through the book and can't find a match. The Leitz Summar looks similar if you add an meniscus lens at each end.

Mark

(Unfortunately, I can't see how to add pictures to the reply)

Hi Mark
Thanks for looking...
Would be great of you could add the pics, or send me a pic/scan of Page 151 via e-mail..
D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Wild Aviogon (from P150 of Kingslake). As you can see, not at all like the mystery lens. It is a Biogon type.

To quote Kingslake:
"One of the most important new types of lens to be developed since WWII is a kind of double-ended reversed-telephoto objective, consisting of a compact central positive structure with one or more large negative menisci at each end, making a roughly symmetrical arrangement. The back focal distance is so short that the lens cannot be used on an SLR, but it has been used on a rangefinder camera and on many aerial cameras where freedom from distortion is mandatory. "

This is the Leitz Summar f/2 of 1933 (Kingslake p125), a double Gauss of 6 elements in 4 groups. Add menisci at each end and it looks very like the mystery lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Much appreciated!

So it's a Summar (or a Xenar) derivative...that throws the timeline back and thus the door wide open again...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some literature on the fact that surveillance camera lenses experience delays in responding to thermal shock (i.e. when quickly taken to altitude with concomitant rapid drop in ambient air temperature), and that by the time the lenses have adjusted the recon mission is commonly over. Thus the lenses are then often out of calibration and hence under-perform.

I now wonder, whether these vents were included for high altitude surveillance lenses not just to allow the pressure to equalise, but also to allow a pre-cooling of the lens cells before the mission commenced. Note that the vents are between the thinner of the elements...