Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon AE-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Canon AE-1 Reply with quote

I now have a backup camera in case my AT-1 goes down.I was at a thrift shop today and picked up a T-50, and an AE-1 for $3 each.
The AE-1 came with a Kalimar 2x T/C but no lens. I haven't tried film in it yet. But so far it tests out fine. Very Happy
It needs a good cleaning, but seems to be in nice shape.
It does have the normal broken camera door, but you can get them on Ebay for less then $6 shipped.
Here is a quick pic of my new toy.

Last edited by walter g on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Embarassed Camera or software problem. I will repost picture when the problem is solved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you too close to the subject? Does the camera have a macro mode?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just barely outside of macro range. I got focus confirm,and my hands didn't shake. My camera is set on the highest quality settings.
Something is wrong. I will try again, in macro mode, manual focus, on a tripod, and ignore focus confirm.
I have to solve the problem or replace the camera. Soon Exclamation
Got it. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type was my first "more expensive" cam after a Prakticar Supter TL, which I used when I was a poor student.

I bought it end of the 70s and this cam was the first of a long series of cams ( AE1 Programm, A-1, T90, EOS5, few Leicas ........ )

Time goes by Sad

Have a lot of fun with this nice cam

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rolf. I will enjoy it. I'm slowly buying the cameras that I couldn't afford growing up.I'm still waiting to find a bargain Leica. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of the foam that quiets the mirror slap, the seals may need to be replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, Thanks I forgot to check them. It does need seals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, my first SLR. Oddly, I don't feel much sentimentality toward it, though. In fact, I recently sold two AE-1s on eBay. Now, the FTb and old F-1 -- that's a different matter Cool

I recommend eBay seller "interslice" for a quality light seal kit. Here's his kit for the AE-1:

Click here to see on Ebay

I installed one of his kits on my FTb, and it fit perfectly. The guy's instructions are quite thorough as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos...what did you do right? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Nice photos...what did you do right? Very Happy

I used Macro mode. I had focus confirm in AF mode on the other pic. But like you said I was too close. Don't know why I had focus confirm tho. I shouldn't have.
The other trick is wear my new reading glasses. so I can tell when the pic is sharp. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ah yes, my first SLR. Oddly, I don't feel much sentimentality toward it, though. In fact, I recently sold two AE-1s on eBay. Now, the FTb and old F-1 -- that's a different matter Cool

I recommend eBay seller "interslice" for a quality light seal kit. Here's his kit for the AE-1:

Click here to see on Ebay

I installed one of his kits on my FTb, and it fit perfectly. The guy's instructions are quite thorough as well.

Thank You. If it tests out okay with film, I will order a kit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter, do you have the AE-1 running, yet? Looking forward to photos. My
A-1 plus lenses arrives next Monday, can't wait to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Wow, A-1 is a professional grade camera. It does have squeaking sound
shutter if it works. Very Happy Did you change your mind to get A-1 instead of T90?

@Walter
I have AL-1 too, which is very similar and much less feature to AE-1 I guess.
Hope Walter, yours will work fine. The most of FD lenses were well made (I
would say over-engineered) and sharp mostly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

shutter if it works. Very Happy Did you change your mind to get A-1 instead of T90?

@Walter

Koji-san, still looking for a clean T90 but got this for the lenses:

http://forum.mflenses.com/im-still-looking-for-a-canon-t90-body-but-t33773.html

The Series 1 zoom goes for what I paid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This general era (60s-80s) of Japanese cameras seem to have a lot of problems with rotting light seals, I've had an AE-1, AV1 and a Ricoh Reflex TLS all with rotten seals above the mirror, also watch out for the back door surrounds too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastropho, Koji brought up a good point regarding the squeaking shutter. Actually it isn't the shutter, it's part of the gear train in the mirror box. This problem is common to all A-series Canons, not just the A-1. I've found it to be most prevalent amongst the A-1 and AE-1 Program, however.

A repair guy who's familiar with this problem often can address it without having to do any dismantling. One uses an insulin syringe with a bent needle and some fine viscosity machine oil. But you gotta know exactly where to position the needle to get the oil on the gear train to deal with it. It can also be reached easily after removing the camera's top cover.

Just so's ya know . . .

Being the former owner of an A-1, I would hesitate to label it a pro level camera, although I will admit that after over 30 years since its original introduction it has demonstrated a surprising ruggedness that I don't think anybody expected back when it was in production.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cooltouch for the tip. I have all manner of fine oils at work in
dispensers with hypodermic needles. The finest is a small bottle of
watchmaker's oil that I use on handmade flutes like Haynes, Powell,
Muramatsu, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AE-1 is a nice camera, sturdy, but I must admit ergonomically speaking I find it awkward. I have one in all black, but I've just never taken to it the way I have to my Pentax SPII or my Yashica FRI. It just sits in the drawer a lot compared to the other two.

My hands are very small and I think that has a lot to do with it. The AE-1 is probably fine for people with normal sized or larger hands, but for me it's been like trying to play a grand piano while having hands that are far more oriented towards playing a spinet. I like it as a good camera, but it's just not been a good fit for me at all.

It seems to be a popular old camera though. There are a lot of them out there in fairly good shape it looks like. Most of them seem to run about $75 and up unless they're black (over $100 there) so that's pretty cool picking up one for practically nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

I just won a Vivitar 35mm f2.8 lens, so I'm going to wait to get it first.
So probably around next Monday for me too.
I will also test my Canon FD 135 3.5 lens on the same roll.

Good luck on your A-1. It looks like you got a really nice one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Thanks, Cooltouch for the tip. I have all manner of fine oils at work in
dispensers with hypodermic needles. The finest is a small bottle of
watchmaker's oil that I use on handmade flutes like Haynes, Powell,
Muramatsu, etc.

Heh, sounds pretty cool. Do you repair/tune brass and/or woodwind instruments? I build guitars, but I digress.

If you ever need to deal with the squeak, it isn't all that hard. If you can get a hold of an exploded diagram of an A-1 or AE-1 Program (the AE-1P is most similar to the A-1 of all the A-series Canons), this will give you an idea where the gear assembly is that I referred to. But it should be essentially in the same spot with any of the A-series. When facing the camera, it's on the upper left side of the mirror box as I recall. It can be reached by pivoting up the mirror, which exposes an opening that the mirror pivot arm passes through, then inserting the needle into that opening. The challenge comes in knowing where to place the needle after that, since you're flying blind at that point. I've done it, and sometimes I've gotten oil where it needed to go within a squirt or two, but I can recall one time when I managed to keep missing it to the point where I had oil running out into the interior of the mirror box. Shocked Fortunately it was my camera and not a customer's.

Good luck if you try this, but hopefully you won't need to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

@Walter

Thank You. Hopefully it will work fine. I tested it without film, and so far so good.

I going to start looking for FD lenses soon. I keep getting sidetracked with other projects.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooltouch, thanks for the tips on the A-1, hopefully I won't need to do
anything, but not averse to popping the hood.

Yes, I repair/tune/play all woodwinds and do minor brass repairs. I went
to an expensive school back in the early 70's then studied with two masters
for 4 years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

I just won a Vivitar 35mm f2.8 lens, so I'm going to wait to get it first.
So probably around next Monday for me too.
I will also test my Canon FD 135 3.5 lens on the same roll.

Good luck on your A-1. It looks like you got a really nice one.

I'm thinking you will like that 35/2.8 lens, looking forward to the pictures!

(We'll see who posts first! Wink )