Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Digital Pinhole Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Digital Pinhole Cameras Reply with quote

This is a thread to collect your experiments with digital cameras and pinhole photography. Let's provide our digital beasts with pinhole apertures and see what we can come up with!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried something like that.
But my results were real cr&p so far.

I will stay tuned, though...

Carsten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have tried something like that.
But my results were real cr&p so far.
Carsten

Well, we're here not only to produce masterpieces Wink but also to compare and learn, so why don't you post some results and explain what you did?
You may have experience = 1 on that, but for instance, I have experience = 0, so there will always be something to learn for somebody!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I made a pinhole camera using my E-300, piece of cardboard and alu foil. I haven't experience with pinhole cameras, everything was totally provisional Smile

Results from first hole weren't good. I know, this picture is overexposure Smile Very low contrast and sharpness:

Second hole was also bad... Poor results:

Third hole was a bit better Smile Good contrast, but poor sharpness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you shooting with a tripod?.
The third and fourth ones are very good...

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used a tripod and self-timer.
In the photos you can see many dirt spots. When I take pictures with normal lens, this problem doesn't exist Smile

Digital pinhole camera is good for macro with DOF from 0 to infinity (but IMHO the angle of view should be wider). ISO 200, 4 sec:

Interesting results with long exposure, also in sunny afternoon. ISO 200, 10 sec:

I'm going to make better pinhole Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubert, really like that last picture, very unusual but nice effect.

Steve, like the shots of the French press set and hammock detail!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congratulations. None of my awkward tentatives of doing pinhole with my digital reflex has ever come out so sharp.

_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to forum. I did some recently with a DIY conversion (body cap, coffe can metal, needle, hammer, tape, & hot glue...)
you can see them at www.flickr.com/photos/shadarington

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Lensbaby range now has the option of being able to fit different optics one of which is a f177 pinhole. The new Composer lens is the ideal one to go with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried pinhole photography some time ago, but was not really impressed:
http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/search?q=pinhole
BUT it has the advantage to show all the dirt on your sensor! Wink Wink

1/4sec, f240

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two more pinhole photos taken with a 0.25mm pinhole body cap (f/190) on 5D and post-processed.

In the first photo, the edge of the body cap touched the nearest edge of the plate:

In the second photo the distance from the sensor to the nearest lens is 10cm, and to the farthest lens about 35cm:

The final IQ is the result of multi-phase post-processing with GIMP:

1. add Gaussian blur to hide some diffraction noise, radius=4.0
2. down-sample to 3000 pixel wide
3. USM radius = 5.0, amount = 0.50
4. down-sample to 2200
5. USM radius = 3.8, amount = 0.40
6. down-sample to 1500
7. USM radius = 2.1, amount = 0.40
8. down-sample to 900
9. USM radius = 0.8, amount = 0.40
10. refocus = 0.8, noise = 0.02

I'm not sure whether this procedure is optimal, but the results are OK. This isn't your traditional pinhole photography, but the idea is to chart out the technical possibilities for those situations where lenses are simply inadequate and even layered focusing breaks down.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant compositions, Veijo. I especially like the second one.
What is your feeling regarding digital and pinhole?
Do you think digital is better/same/worse than film as pinhole "medium"?

I somehow seem to prefer film to digital for this application (I am speaking purely on aesthetical level)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Brilliant compositions, Veijo. I especially like the second one.

thanks Smile

Quote:
What is your feeling regarding digital and pinhole?
Do you think digital is better/same/worse than film as pinhole "medium"?

Well, digital (with a 5D) is very convenient for web use and perhaps for small prints up to 4" x 6" max. However, for larger prints I'd use film. With film, reciprocity failure may be a problem, especially with a large frame size and color. This is the technical side.

Quote:
I somehow seem to prefer film to digital for this application (I am speaking purely on aesthetical level)

Using appropriately dimensioned pinholes, there isn't much difference aesthetically, that is, not more than when using lenses. 5" x 5" prints of my best 6x6 film pinhole photos are so sharp that you wouldn't think they are pinholes except for the DOF, 4"x6" prints from my 5D pinholes would already be quite soft. At the same original frame size, we would be back at the eternal film vs. digital debate, using a pinhole instead of lenses doesn't change much.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pinhole experiments results are here:

Photos from Alpha A200

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, I used an oatmeal can (cylinder) as a camera, photo paper as the negative, and needle-pierced tinfoil for the pinhole, and got decent ultrawide infinite-focus results.

More recently I've put a PinholeEdun Body Cap (reputedly f/181, effectively 45mm) on my Pentax K20D, and all I get is utter crud. I suspect the hole is too large for an APS-C sensor, that it might be more appropriate of a full-frame camera. I've tried my own tinfoil piercings in other lens caps with similar (or worse) trash. And the dSLR structure doesn't allow for closer placement to the sensor plane for a shorter focal length.

I've tried pinholes on surgically-altered 240x320 webcams, but the resolution sucks. I'm tempted to dissect a 1mpx digicam and apply a pinhole but I fear results similar to the K20D efforts. My sister gave me a beautiful carved hardwood 6x9cm pinhole camera a couple Xmas's ago, but now I can't find it. Embarassed I am perplexed by failure. Where did I put that damn 6x9?????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Pinhole lens made by Lenox Laser Reply with quote

Here are some pix I took with a pinhole lens made by Lenox Laser.
I glued a body cap on the side opposite the cap that the lens came with.
This way I can use it on both my Nikon D300 or Canon 550D.
Here are some samples:

_APR5066 by J Bruja, on Flickr

_MG_1026a by J Bruja, on Flickr

_MAY5111 by J Bruja, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the well known Vivitar pinhole lens Wink

May have had some camera shake Very Happy

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hole's too big Pete.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the first time I've been told that Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple examples I've done with a body cap and small chunk of soda can;

I recently moved the chunk of soda can to a lens cap, and I intend to take some portraits of people who think the lenscap is still on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about diffraction with such small apertures?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly tons of diffraction Wink

Pi n 604 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two test shots with a pinhole for L39 mounted on a Nikon 1 V1 using an L39-N1 adapter, FOV ~ 80 mm FF eq.
Even a 1" sensor can produce reasonable results with some PP, with some planning probably good enough for small still life prints.

Veijo