Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spectra Tele-Coligon (Tamron) 400/5.6 T-mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Spectra Tele-Coligon (Tamron) 400/5.6 T-mount Reply with quote

This thing was once one of the premium lenses in the Tamron line -

I have been looking for this thing for some time, and the couple I first saw went for way too much. But eventually I got lucky.

This one is under a distributors brand (Spectra); I have also seen it as an Aetna and of course as a Tamron.

It is a Tamron model 340 from about 1960 -

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm400f5_6.htm

It takes an 84mm filter in front (and thankfully this came with the excellent and very solid original hood), so it also takes Series V filters (not dedicated filters) in a holder that slips into a rear slot. Very cool.

I also have a focusing mount I found on the bay for the Tamron version I think, as its marked "Taisei". The lens head works on either. I am looking for a way to mount my Wollensak/Graflex 400/5.6 Optar on it.

It is of course a very well made lens, mechanically. The workmanship and finish are excellent, in the old Tamron style. It is a telephoto, being a 5-element lens (three large ones in front including a doublet I think, and two small ones inside the focusing mount). It is a substantial technological advance over similar large-aperture 400mm lenses of the day, as it is much shorter and lighter than the likes of the Meyer Telemegor 400/5.5 or my doublet Piesker 400/5.5.

It is, however, still quite a handful to manage without a tripod. The focusing mount is rather stiff (even when re-lubed), probably because of the leverage of the heavy lens head on the narrow-diameter helical (the Meyer Telemegor doesn't have this problem, as the helical diameter is much greater). The helical travel isn't great, minimum focus being 27ft/9m. Still, all this was quite typical of the times.

It is quite bright through the viewfinder and its no optical problem focusing, and I have no complaints about the preset mechanism which is very handy and useful. The tripod mount is in the wrong place, as the thing is very front-heavy even with a heavy SLR attached - well, maybe if I had a Nikon F it might be better.

Performance is a bit odd, but the results can be very pleasing. At f/5.6 it is sharp but there is considerable CA leaving a bit of a "glow" effect. Its about as sharp as I can detect at f/8 with no detectable CA. Contrast is not wonderful, but quite sufficent and there is no flare problem. Its a much better lens than my Telemegor for sure. But its certainly not my first choice for a walk-around 400mm.

Taken with an extension ring to get closer focus -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful light, Luis. The sun seems to shine a lot harder here in the south!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have both beautiful photos from a beautiful lens. How do you manage to find such a fine lens that still looks like in great condition. I love the sharpness from the seagull picture. The eagle and lion shots are amazing.

I am not aware of the brand and name, I only recognize the 'Tarmon' brand you mention. How heavy is the lens? How many blades you have on this 400mm? I assume that you have to use a heavy duty tripod on this lens. Are you using a M42 adapter on this lens.

I am amateur and recently I find myself building up interest on the expensive side of the hobby -- in birding. I probably should stay away from the tele lens as all new ones in Pentax gear are way expensive for my amateur budget . I am in the processing of looking for a manual focus prime in 400mm f/5.6 or something lighter as in 300mm f/4.0. Suggestions are welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Deja Vu Reply with quote

I know we have had this discussion before..

Great shots but...

NOTHING WILL CONVINCE ME THAT THAT DAMNED SEAGULL IS NOT STUFFED... NOTHING STAYS THAT STILL IN THE SAME POSE FOR MONTHS ON END!!!!

Smile Smile

Doug.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're on to him, Doug!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Luis !.....by the way what is the metal wire goodie attached in front of the ap ring it looks like one of those wire security seals ??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive as always!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hin,

Tamron used to make a lot of lenses for sale under other brands. At one time there were hundreds of merchants of all kinds that put their brands on lenses. Almost all the major Japanese lens makers used to sell most of their production through these merchants.

I think this thing has about 12 blades, and the aperture is not really round. The diaphragm location is in the narrow lens barrel, so it doesn't have to be very big, so there are fewer blades. Some lenses that have the diaphragm right behind the big front elements, like the Telemegor 400, require a big diaphragm and lots of blades, but I never saw any advantage from this.

I never use a tripod for this stuff, just for "studio" pictures of lenses. The Pentax K100D body Image Stabilization is VERY effective. You can reliably hand-hold 400mm at 1/250 if you are careful. That lets you stop down more for DOF, or use the lens in worse light. With Pentax IS an f/6.3 becomes like an f/4 in another body.

I don't do birding either, I don't go look for them (well, except for the seagulls), if they come nearby I take their picture.

From my experience the best way to start with long lenses is just to buy a cheap one, like the Spiratone or Astranar or whatever brand 400/6.3's that are easy to find for $20. Most of them are good enough. The real problems with long lenses are in getting used to them - reduce shake problems, use DOF, lighting, learn to focus/bracket focus, etc. A lot more shots will be wasted by these problems than lack of resolution or contrast.

Hi Doug !

Well, they are sometimes stuffed with a bit off a chicken sandwich !

Hi Rusty,

That came with it. Someone put a bit of wire on to hold down the preset button thing as it seems to have come loose. I think theres a stripped screw under that. My other focusing mount doesn't have that problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectra Tele-Coligon (Tamron) 400/5.6 T-mount Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This thing was once one of the premium lenses in the Tamron line -

I have been looking for this thing for some time, and the couple I first saw went for way too much. But eventually I got lucky.

This one is under a distributors brand (Spectra); I have also seen it as an Aetna and of course as a Tamron.

It is a Tamron model 340 from about 1960 -

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm400f5_6.htm

It takes an 84mm filter in front (and thankfully this came with the excellent and very solid original hood), so it also takes Series V filters (not dedicated filters) in a holder that slips into a rear slot. Very cool.

I also have a focusing mount I found on the bay for the Tamron version I think, as its marked "Taisei". The lens head works on either. I am looking for a way to mount my Wollensak/Graflex 400/5.6 Optar on it.

It is of course a very well made lens, mechanically. The workmanship and finish are excellent, in the old Tamron style. It is a telephoto, being a 5-element lens (three large ones in front including a doublet I think, and two small ones inside the focusing mount). It is a substantial technological advance over similar large-aperture 400mm lenses of the day, as it is much shorter and lighter than the likes of the Meyer Telemegor 400/5.5 or my doublet Piesker 400/5.5.

It is, however, still quite a handful to manage without a tripod. The focusing mount is rather stiff (even when re-lubed), probably because of the leverage of the heavy lens head on the narrow-diameter helical (the Meyer Telemegor doesn't have this problem, as the helical diameter is much greater). The helical travel isn't great, minimum focus being 27ft/9m. Still, all this was quite typical of the times.

It is quite bright through the viewfinder and its no optical problem focusing, and I have no complaints about the preset mechanism which is very handy and useful. The tripod mount is in the wrong place, as the thing is very front-heavy even with a heavy SLR attached - well, maybe if I had a Nikon F it might be better.

Performance is a bit odd, but the results can be very pleasing. At f/5.6 it is sharp but there is considerable CA leaving a bit of a "glow" effect. Its about as sharp as I can detect at f/8 with no detectable CA. Contrast is not wonderful, but quite sufficent and there is no flare problem. Its a much better lens than my Telemegor for sure. But its certainly not my first choice for a walk-around 400mm.

m

Taken with an extension ring to get closer focus -

The bird -

crop -

I am wondering what adapter this lens needs for use on a Canon EOS T3i- you said this is is T mount? Any specifics you can give would be most helpful! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine and all I have seen of this lens are T mounts.
Not to say there may be others made for fixed mounts, who knows.
T mounts are the universal adapters that just screw on. You can get a cheap new one for any mount, certainly for new Canons.
Look in eBay for Canon t or t2 mount.
If you have one of these, you will probably find that the whole mount section just screws off leaving an M42x.75 thread on the back of the lens. That is the t mount thread.
As for your model of Canon and whether its metering works with ancient lenses, I can't help you. I know Pentax not Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
T mounts are the universal adapters that just screw on. You can get a cheap new one for any mount, certainly for new Canons.
If you have one of these, you will probably find that the whole mount section just screws off leaving an M42x.75 thread on the back of the lens. That is the t mount thread.
As for your model of Canon and whether its metering works with ancient lenses, I can't help you. I know Pentax not Canon.

Thank you for the info. I'll give the at mount adapter a try and will let you know if it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always - great shots, Luis. This lens has some truly unique features - quite a find! I have been looking for that illusive "walk around 400" for a while as well. I just recently picked up a 400mm Noflexar in a follow focus mount (it was listed under "accessories" as opposed to lenses, so it didn't get much attention - I was the only bidder!) The Noflexar was designed for use wide open, so except for a little bit of CA, it performs quite well. Of course being an extremely simple design, it can't match the sharpness your Tamron displays. I am still practicing, however, the follow focus takes some getting used to, and I am using it on a NEX, so is definitely front heavy! Thanks for sharing this unique lens.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Just wondering where I might find an 84 mm UV lens filter? I've researched quite a few places and haven't found one yet. Any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrild53 wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Just wondering where I might find an 84 mm UV lens filter? I've researched quite a few places and haven't found one yet. Any help is appreciated!

That is rather large and just a bit bigger than the 82mm commonly available standard filter.
You may have to look at Cokin or Fotodiox systems for filters that large.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best is to use the rear filter, if yours still has the filter tray.
Its a Series V, these should be easily available.

84mm is an odd size and you probably won't easily find anything suitable.
Which is one reason I was lucky as mine came with its proper hood, I would have had a hell of a time getting a decent one.

BTW, best to measure your thread and check what I wrote. I made that measurement a long time ago and can't easily recheck as this lens is now buried in a pile of boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Measurement of thread for Tele coligon lens Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Best is to use the rear filter, if yours still has the filter tray.
Its a Series V, these should be easily available.

84mm is an odd size and you probably won't easily find anything suitable.
Which is one reason I was lucky as mine came with its proper hood, I would have had a hell of a time getting a decent one.

BTW, best to measure your thread and check what I wrote. I made that measurement a long time ago and can't easily recheck as this lens is now buried in a pile of boxes.

How exactly do I measure the threads? This lens doesn't have a filter tray, in fact it's a bit different than the photo you posted.....Thx.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metric calipers, if you have some large enough.
Ruler with mm markings if you don't.
Granted, not everyone who isn't into tools has these things, but there really isn't much alternative with ordinary household items.

Threads are measured on the max Outer Diameter of the MALE thread.
You just have the female, so you will have to do a but of guesstimating.

It would be interesting to see your lens. Please post pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Tele coligon lens Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Metric calipers, if you have some large enough.
Ruler with mm markings if you don't.
Granted, not everyone who isn't into tools has these things, but there really isn't much alternative with ordinary household items.

Threads are measured on the max Outer Diameter of the MALE thread.
You just have the female, so you will have to do a but of guesstimating.

It would be interesting to see your lens. Please post pictures.

Will do....Thx.....