Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoya (Tokina) f5.6 400mm on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Hoya (Tokina) f5.6 400mm on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Found this lens in the back of the cupboard, forgot I had it.

Surprisingly decent, doesn't have the typical severe purple fringes of the 3.5/200, 4.5/300 Hoya/Tokinas.

Without PP and with PP, all wide open at 5.6:

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed May 23, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP is essential on all pictures and this lens not failed at all , nice result really!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I only did most basic PP - Auto Contrast in CS5 then Nik Software Sharpener.

Really surprised by this lens, at f8 it should be really good, I'll try it again soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the lack of sharpness but the lack of contrast may be explained by the lack of hood.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any lack of sharpness, and it has a long built-in hood, contrast isn't lacking, there was some mist in the air, a sea mist was coming in, I was going to take it to the shore to shoot some seabirds but the mist prevented this.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it needs to come out of the cupboard a bit more often, that looks a good lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I'd say it needs to come out of the cupboard a bit more often, that looks a good lens.

Sure, I'm going to try some birding with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Sure, I'm going to try some birding with it.

Nice samples

How does such a large lens handle on the very small NEX ?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handling is not so great, as you can imagine. However it's useable handheld as it balances quite well.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Considering those were shot @ f/5.6, which is maximum aperture of that lens, the results seems to be quite good. To be honest i did expect lesser results both in sharpness and contrast! Ok, the contrast could be better on that lens, but improvement can be easily achieved with basic PP..

On last image it is more visible the purple fringing /CA which I do believe can be easily corrected in ACR..

regards

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Vitor.

I tried the lens at distance today and it's quite crap, the details lost and the results quite muddy, obviously it's not bad at shorter distances but not good enough for distance work, and for me, a long lens is for distance shooting. Sad

With and without PP at either f8 or f11:

#11 100% crop of two oystercatchers about 40m away, shows the lack of resolution:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With PP okay for it's price.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I've become a bit of a lens snob now, (might be your fault! Smile) so I'm selling it, I have a Tair-3 300mm and the Konica 300mm and those are much better.

If anyone wants a mint condition Hoya 400mm lens in Konica AR mount, PM me with an offer for this one! Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 4 shot stitch with it, not bad, a bit muddy, it's useable but I prefer a higher level of IQ, I've become a bit spoilt I guess. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Your words let me think about my Soligor 6.3/400, same as Luis' one :
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-tokina-400-6-3-the-biggest-of-the-t4s-t7857,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B400.html

Is it the same kind of lens as yours ?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier.

No, my lens is same as this one:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get better results with long shots on a better day than today, the haze is very bad down here today and you can see it affecting your shots as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there was some heat haze visible today.

I went back in the afternoon and shot with my monster Wollensak Apochromatic Raptar 21.25 inch, it did better than the Hoya, but to be honest, I really don't like shooting these long lenses, and with no IS on the NEX, they are a real challenge to avoid shake, even with my nice sturdy Velbon tripod.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine must come out of the cupboard for a run (Tokina version)

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ian.
Not the same at all. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same maker as my 400/6.3 Soligor (Tokina), but the design is very different.
Neither are very good.

My best 400's right now -

Schneider 360mm/5.5 (not quite 400mm, but close enough)
Komura 400/6.3 - the Schneider is a bit better
Tamron 400/6.9 - I have two versions, the Nestar collapsing type and the plain one. These are great.
Mamiya (Tokina) 400/6.3 preset. Its surprising Tokina couldn't just remount this as an automatic, but they didn't

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, Luis, Cheers.

I have a Tair-3C and a Konica 4.5/300, both superb so I'm happy with those, I doubt I'll need a 400mm, the 300s should be fine.