Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nex 3 vs Nex 5 for manual focus lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Nex 3 vs Nex 5 for manual focus lenses? Reply with quote

Hi All,

The e-p1 gone and now i have to decide which Nex to get.
I'm not interested in Sony AF lenses so body only is a good option.

I have 2 contax G lenses: 2/35 Planar and 2.8/90 Sonnar + some cheap russian m39 and some exakta mount ones. Not planning to mount something very heavy. Most probably the largest will be 2.8/135.

Apart from the metal body and video codec are there any differences between Nex 3 and Nex 5?

Is there a difference in lens mount which i have to consider?

Your help is greatly appreciated Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much differences. But it's worth taking a look at the ergonomy: the expert modes are hidden in the menus... what could be not so convenient to use with MF lenses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
.. the expert modes are hidden in the menus... what could be not so convenient to use with MF lenses

Hi
do you mean that the software (menues) are different?

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
ylyad wrote:
.. the expert modes are hidden in the menus... what could be not so convenient to use with MF lenses

Hi
do you mean that the software (menues) are different?

BR,
Stefan

I don't know about that, but both cameras are awkward to use with vintage lenses due to bad ergonomics for manual use. The cameras are designed for the average joe/jane consumer to be used with Sony AF-glass in automated modes. It would be wise to wait and see what other models Sony brings our to complement the current ones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is that if you want to go into Aperture priority/Manual mode and adjust the settings, there is no dial for that, you have to go in the menu (and not on the first page) using the rear screen. It's feasible but not the most convenient way to take photos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case closed .

I got a black Nex 3 with 16mm kit.
I felt it more comfortable for my hands.

The Nex 5 was too small for me. Plus i haven't found any real difference in body/materials feel - except the dimensions.

As an initial impression it feels cheaper comparing to E-P1 and smaller.

Now the battery is charging
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Now the battery is charging

great! we will stay standby for the samples
at 400 euros with the 16mm, it is very tempting Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh i promise to post samples soon.

Now I'm keeping an eye on some adapters on ebay.

They are still really expensive but what what are the money for anyway Very Happy