Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 300mm f4.5 sell or not to sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Olympus OM 300mm f4.5 sell or not to sell Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/olympus-om-4.5-300mm-lens-review.html

I not afford to keep all my 300mm lens, I have to decide what will go.

1) CZJ Olympic Sonnar 300mm f4
2) CZJ Sonnar 300mm f4 MC
3) Nikkor 300mm f4.5 ED-IF
4) Olympus OM 300mm f4.5

First two part of my DDR lens collection so they are my last choices, last two are very , very good lenses. Any thoughts ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would trash any lens that doesn't smell good old russian grease if I was you... Very Happy ... just kidding.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM 300mm f4.5 sell or not to sell Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://www.mflenses.com/olympus-om-4.5-300mm-lens-review.html

I not afford to keep all my 300mm lens, I have to decide what will go.

1) CZJ Olympic Sonnar 300mm f4
2) CZJ Sonnar 300mm f4 MC
3) Nikkor 300mm f4.5 ED-IF
4) Olympus OM 300mm f4.5

First two part of my DDR lens collection so they are my last choices, last two are very , very good lenses. Any thoughts ?

I've owned the Sonnar 300/4 (non-MC, non-Olympic) on a previous Pentax 645 (Pentacon mount). It was the best lens I had, and that included some fine Pentax glass. It was "best" in sharpness, although it took some real "pixel peeping" to see any differences. So let me say that, to my eyes, on a 20x30 enlargement, the sharpness was completely breathtaking, and that was good enough for me.

But the REAL shine was that sort of "tonality" rendered. Another person in my camera club at the time, had the Nikkor H 300/4.5, and we did the "usual" informal test with enlargements made from each lens. We agreed that there was no discernible difference in sharpness, but that the highlights were not so glaring with the Sonnar, as well as the color rendition being more pleasing.

Just for fun, we took the enlargements around to the club members, and about 8 out of 10 (if I remember correctly) picked the Sonnar print as the more pleasing image in all respects.

Now, remember that this was a non-multi-coated lens. So, I don't know if the multi-coated Sonnar would be "better". I frankly don't think so. I'm guessing this because I've not seen any difference in other lenses wherein the "MC or Not" made a difference. Of course, it's all subjective.

I'm not familiar with the Olympus OM 300/4.5, so if I was trying to weed out in the above situation, I think I would narrow it down to the Sonnar Olympic and the Olympus.

Well, at least I didn't straddle the fence! Laughing And, I have this sort of hunch that in terms of sharpness, there may be hardly any differences between all four of them, so I would look at tonality and bokeh and overall "pleasantness" of the lens in my comparison. The Sonnar is heavy, but I personally like the heavyweight lenses as they somehow give me confidence that I'm using a lot of fine glass and heavy metallurgy in the lens.

In my opinion, picking a lens out of a fantastic and eclectic group like that is an exercise in "gut" feelings. I should be so lucky as to have to choose! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky the Nikon 300mm ED-IF's generally do well on ebay (I keep getting outbid! although I've missed a couple that went for less than my ?70 limit...). What I really want is the non-IF ED version but they're rarer than hen's teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM 300mm f4.5 sell or not to sell Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I think I would narrow it down to the Sonnar Olympic and the Olympus.

You don't like Olympia? Laughing

I think that Attila will sell his car before than his Olympic Sonnar Wink

-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not smarter Smile many thanks for your comments!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM 300mm f4.5 sell or not to sell Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Laurence wrote:
I think I would narrow it down to the Sonnar Olympic and the Olympus.

You don't like Olympia? Laughing

I think that Attila will sell his car before than his Olympic Sonnar Wink

-

Haha! No, I meant that the ones to compare to KEEP would be the Olympic Sonnar and the Olympus...I can fully understand his fervent, benevolent relationship with the Sonnar! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard-D

I have a very beat up 300 ED non IF. It is the only one I ever saw on fleabay and was improperly marked, so I got it for less than $75

patrickh Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Richard-D

I have a very beat up 300 ED non IF. It is the only one I ever saw on fleabay and was improperly marked, so I got it for less than $75

patrickh Smile

I'm not jealous Wink honest Wink

Rumoured to be the best of the 300 4.5's from several sources, and supposedly works well with teleconverters...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to post a sample

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more Smile into gallery too Patrick