Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast Takumar or slow sonnar ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Fast Takumar or slow sonnar ? Reply with quote

Tested my c/y Zeiss Sonnar 2.8 135mm against the Tak 135/2.5 and something struck me as weird, obviously the sonnar is a bit sharper than the tak wide open BUT.....

The Tak is more than a stop faster at 2.8 , With the exact same setup i can stop the Tak down to f4 and get the same shutter speed compared to the sonnar at 2.8
HuH ???.... is'nt the famous *T coating supposed to be super efficient and let more light through , or is the stated 2.8 a bit optimistic for the sonnar
Anybody with similar experience with the 135 sonnar?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure the sonnar isnt 3.5 wide open?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transmitted light (f/stop) shloudnt be dependent on the coating, you dont say what woating you have to you light meter to determine the right exposure Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... the lens is a 2.8/135 zeiss sonnar in contax mount , but it surely behaves like 3.5 wide open at 2.8 Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Transmitted light (f/stop) shloudnt be dependent on the coating, you dont say what woating you have to you light meter to determine the right exposure Wink

the test was done with the camera internal meter (average of whole scene) , constant light source , constant subject, constant framing , on tripod
the camera will then give the same shutter speed with the sonnar set at 2.8 and the tak set at 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not in same league surely Contax Sonnar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for the Sonnar. Even if it is a slower lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fast Takumar or slow sonnar ?"

It's got to be a slow Sonnar - if we could make lenses faster than their widest apertures we'd all be very rich by now!
1.4/50 Super-Takumar - actually opens to 1.2. Buy It Now $1,000 Smile

Are the Sonnar's blades opening fully? My Pancolar 1.8/50 sticks around 2-2.4 sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
"Fast Takumar or slow sonnar ?"

It's got to be a slow Sonnar - if we could make lenses faster than their widest apertures we'd all be very rich by now!
1.4/50 Super-Takumar - actually opens to 1.2. Buy It Now $1,000 Smile

Are the Sonnar's blades opening fully? My Pancolar 1.8/50 sticks around 2-2.4 sometimes.

Very Happy Blades are fully open and optics are crystal clear...No you don't get a lens that is faster than it's max aperture Shocked but you might get one that is slightly faster in real life than it's indicated max aperture
Maybe the 2.8 indication on the sonnar is optimistic and the tak is a bit faster than the indicated 2.5
Very Happy Very Happy How about......tak 135/2.5 twice as fast as sonnar 135/2.8 Buy It Now $1,000 !! Very Happy Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
My vote is for the Sonnar. Even if it is a slower lens.

I agree....The sonnar is probably an all round better lens , but i am not comparing the two except for the amount of light transmitted through them at a certain stop
In my view the actual f stop reading on the lens must be a reasonablygood indication of the actual transmission of light through the lens and in the sonnar's case compared to the tak it is not

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to let an expert come along and go into detail but give you this to begin with.
A lenses F stops have to do with a relation between the FL and Opening. An f1 50mm lens has an opening of 50mm at it's max aperture.
You can have 2 different 135mm lenses and at the same aperture have differnt light transmition.
The method to measure light transmition is referred to as T stop.
For folks like us that shoot stills we don't really care about such things as much.
Maybe Klaus or Abbaz will be by to give a finer tuned explanation. Or you can google for more.

IMHO the Sonnar has a personality that will be different than the Tak but not better. I would choose it but others may not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model of Takumar 135/2.5 do you have? Super (V1), S-M-C (V1) or S-M-C (V2)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
OK, I'm going to let an expert come along and go into detail but give you this to begin with.
A lenses F stops have to do with a relation between the FL and Opening. An f1 50mm lens has an opening of 50mm at it's max aperture.
You can have 2 different 135mm lenses and at the same aperture have differnt light transmition.
The method to measure light transmition is referred to as T stop.
For folks like us that shoot stills we don't really care about such things as much.
Maybe Klaus or Abbaz will be by to give a finer tuned explanation. Or you can google for more.

IMHO the Sonnar has a personality that will be different than the Tak but not better. I would choose it but others may not.

T stops are using in professional film photography. They are much precise because of light metering not as with F stops which are geometrical measured. It means (but I don't know about theese lenses) that light transmited through the lens is abstracted inner structure. Lenses compared in T stops are giving same result in light transfer but with F stops it needn't to be equivalent. I thing that it can be happen in photography as well but hard to believe that with full one stop... imho =)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel -

Do the lenses give differently exposed results when used at the same shutter/aperture combinations? If so, one lens is certainly letting more light through than the other. Unless the Pentax lens has internal fogging which will cause light scatter, make the meter think it's getting more light than is actually the case, and lower the contrast in the resulting exposure. But if the exposures at similar settings give identical results, then we have to look for a metering error in the camera. Although the cause of it might not be easy to identify.

An intriguing issue Very Happy .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
is'nt the famous *T coating supposed to be super efficient and let more light through , or is the stated 2.8 a bit optimistic for the sonnar

the contax is 2.7 at 2.8
http://www.reocities.com/ilprode/135f28.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Which model of Takumar 135/2.5 do you have? Super (V1), S-M-C (V1) or S-M-C (V2)?

Super takumar (43801 on am switch) serial 2507622

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
.........For folks like us that shoot stills we don't really care about such things as much...............

Then i presume no one on this forum owns a 50mm/1:1.2 or that no one would mind after spending a lot of money on such lens , that when they get home and see that it is just as fast as the 50mm/1.8 that they already have?

In my view the t stop and the normal f stop values should be closely related
If they are not , a lens should be marketed with the max aperture related to the amount of light it transmits

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Daniel -

Do the lenses give differently exposed results when used at the same shutter/aperture combinations? If so, one lens is certainly letting more light through than the other. Unless the Pentax lens has internal fogging which will cause light scatter, make the meter think it's getting more light than is actually the case, and lower the contrast in the resulting exposure. But if the exposures at similar settings give identical results, then we have to look for a metering error in the camera. Although the cause of it might not be easy to identify.

An intriguing issue Very Happy .

Stephen
I am going to test again with exactly the same settings on the cam for both lenses (manual mode) en then see what the histogram shows
or maybe just plug a light meter into the back of the lenses and compare readings ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
plug a light meter into the back

terrific idea!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do either of the adapters have chips in? Whatever value is programmed into them may have quite an effect on exposure, especially with Canon...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Do either of the adapters have chips in? Whatever value is programmed into them may have quite an effect on exposure, especially with Canon...

The adapter on the tak is an older non programmable , the one on the sonnar a newer one with the FL programmed......hmmm ,something to think about
here are further test
The camera on manual shutter speed 125/sec both lenses on f4 photographing whitr lcd screen at same distance

rgb value on sonnar=150 (+-) rgb value on tak =190 (+-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a third lens to compare?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Rusty wrote:
plug a light meter into the back

terrific idea!

Only have an old Weston Master 2 Embarassed but used it anyway
The reading between the sonnar and the tak is very small in favour of the tak wide open (2.5) and the sonnar wide open (2.7 ?)
There can therefore not be that much transmission difference between the two lenses......I have no idea why the sonnar will expose darker with exactly the same camera settings ? there is nothing else the camera can change , iso is set, shutter is set and aperture is set . The only variable is the amount of light that hits the sensor
If the amount of light is the same, the exposure must be exactly the same ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting stuff ! Daniel, another question - does the difference occur at smaller apertures as well?

It also occurs to me that putting the Weston up to the lens MIGHT give you a false reading - if the rear elements are a different size physically then the amount of light reaching the cell could also be different. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the mechanical construction of the two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Canon, my adapter with the chip overexposes more than the one without, as soon as the f stop is smaller than what's programmed on the chip.

For example, my chip is set to f1.4 and at f3.5 I would need to underexpose by half a stop or so, or else the shutter speed would be artificially slow. The only way around this (I believe) is to buy an adapter with a chip that you can program to the aperture you are shooting at, or buy a manual focus screen and set the camera accordingly. Or buy an adapter without a chip Smile