Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma DP1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Sigma DP1 Reply with quote

I just wanted to ask if anybody in here got that camera too.

I got it a month or so ago and am totally happy, awesome camera with a "film like" feeling to it.

So I hope there'll be a great discussion in here.

Thanks

cheers tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some in the bay some time ago for very affordable prices. I would have taken one but the lens is too wide for my taste as a fixed lens.
I would prefer the DP2. Wink
Or a digital Yashica Electro 35 with a 1.7/40. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the 28mm fov. I got one thinking it would make a good digital version of my GR1... But no. Speed of use and pocketability are not it's strong points.
The IQ however is excellent. And you can use it in manual mode, including manual focus, which means you can set everything up and then shoot quickly with no shutter delay or af hunting. Working like this, with the viewfinder on top, it's quick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it for 1,5 years and it is a great little camera with very, very good IQ.
Mine is very reliable but heard from some with quirky cameras.

A second later, I was drowned with my DP1, kicked from my feet by one of this kids, that were driven by that growing wave.
Removed the battery and gave the camera a few hours to dry in the sun.
Happened last year in summer. Still working strong.
Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing shot, Klaus!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that shot Klaus, I've never tried that kind of photography with the dp1, did you do it with MF or AF?

Here are some pics I took with the DP1 - just a few snapshots but maybe you can see the awesome picture quality of this little camera in a few of them Wink

I absolutely love this cam - especially cause you can have it with you all the time Razz

Looking forward to some great pics from you Klaus and all the other DP1 owners out there =)

cheers tom[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:

WOW! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Klaus, excellent shots from both of you! Shocked

I think Abbazz has the DP1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOptimist wrote:
I really like that shot Klaus, I've never tried that kind of photography with the dp1, did you do it with MF or AF?

Hi, just checked the picture infos. Used AF and bracketing.

From time to time, it is nice to have the DP1 coming with me. Easy to carry and not so noticeable as a DSLR.

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff here.
Klaus that was a brave capture but well worth it I would say Surprised

So the AF is a bit slow with these I have heard. Zone focusing should be easy enough.
Is the camera shutter instant when in pre-focus mode?
How about write times? I'm curious about maybe trying one of these or the DP2 as a discrete street shooter.
Would love some in depth thoughts on the capture rate.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes AF is really slow but you can eather prefocus or kinda guess the distance with the mf weel or set it to hyperfocal distance.

if that's done it captures next to instant - write times are also very slow but you can take pictures during writing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Af is not really fast, but ok and pretty accurate. The option of setting manual distances by turning the focussing wheel is perfect for many situations. And when set to manual focussing, the shutter responds instantly. Writing time is slow, but ok for me. Serial shooting (three shots) for bracketing or for normal shooting is, depending upon choosen time, very (!) fast.

It is not a point&shoot. No, it is a compose&shoot camera.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I last took the Dp for a run, so I thought it was time and I spent a bit with the little diva. Laughing

cheers tom[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diva is a good description.

How I love it and hate it...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a tragedy that Sigma has not developed the foveon in the way it should have done. Reminds me a lot of the Beta from Sony - much the better system disabled by closeted marketing. Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Foveon has its strenghts, but some corner of the image always looks as if there was a funfair nearby, and the bright and colourful lights hit your subject... The tendency towards Magenta is the worst of it all.

I often wish, there was just the plain old well-known 6MP Sony chip inside (like in D50, D70, some Pentax etc.), and there were some .NEF-files on the chip afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="patrickh"]It is a tragedy that Sigma has not developed the foveon in the way it should have done. Reminds me a lot of the Beta from Sony - much the better system disabled by closeted marketing. Embarassed

aint it the truth! such a great technology; such poor implementation. love the IQ; hate the camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
It is a tragedy that Sigma has not developed the foveon in the way it should have done. Reminds me a lot of the Beta from Sony - much the better system disabled by closeted marketing. Embarassed

Actually quite different from Beta/VHS, since Foven never was a superior sensor (to Bayer), but inferior even when new, rather obsolete today.

There are some major problems with the Foveon design, however it will be interesting to see, if Sony will follow through their recent patent of somewhat similar sensor, as it should address some of the Foveon sensor weaknesses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
it will be interesting to see, if Sony will follow through their recent patent of somewhat similar sensor, as it should address some of the Foveon sensor weaknesses.

i didnt know sony was approaching this...do you have any details, i would be interested to read about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
Anu wrote:
it will be interesting to see, if Sony will follow through their recent patent of somewhat similar sensor, as it should address some of the Foveon sensor weaknesses.

i didnt know sony was approaching this...do you have any details, i would be interested to read about it.

Well, no one really know's if they will actually go with this design, but here is a link to the relevant patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0303371.html.

My guess is that if Sony goes ahead with this sensor type, they will put it first into mirroless large sensor cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info anu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys prefer for processing the x3f-RAW-files? Sigma Photo Pro or Adobe Camera RAW?

I am stuck to Nikon Capture, and I wish it could open x3f-files... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPP. I never got good results with ACR, some users consider it to be the worst X3F converter.

Anyway, all X3F converters supporting DP series are based on Sigma core, so all the difference between their results are caused by different additional corrections (which can be done even after conversion by PP) and by exact version of the used Sigma core. Some converters use pretty outdated version.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK! Thanks for the info.

Seems I have to try harder with SPP...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved my DP1s today, Cooltouch graciously offered to receive it at his place in the States and forward it on to me down here in Aus, thanks Mike Very Happy

Here she is before i fit the grip, and screen protector. I have bought both hoods, the 46mm Sigma one and the 52mm lensmate one.

Hopefully i'll enjoy this compact the way you guys enjoy yours. Some stunning images you guys have posted...