Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 200mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Tamron 200mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Rob how is that tele?
I may be able to get one at good price. But it must be very, very good, because I don't really need any more lenses in that focal range, I already have a Sonnar, Pentacon and Jupiter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rate it better than the Super Takumar f4 200, which I also have. there isn't much in it both have a touch of CA wide open but the tam is better also performance at f4 with the tamron is better than Takumar f4. It should have been an SP lens. I have some pictures from the lens posted also a note about it with a few more details on
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamronadaptall
By the way you don't have to buy a new adaptor for every Tamron lens they swap over as easy as changing your lens on the camera body.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

By the way you don't have to buy a new adaptor for every Tamron lens they swap over as easy as changing your lens on the camera body.

But if I swap the adaptor over, I will have to reposition the cardboard every time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
[But if I swap the adaptor over, I will have to reposition the cardboard every time.

Orio, what sort of M42/EOS adapter are you planning to use? If you use the sort with the flange, or "push ring" like this Click here to see on Ebay it will keep the aperture pin pressed in. There's no need to use any cardboard or anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Orio, what sort of M42/EOS adapter are you planning to use? If you use the sort with the flange, or "push ring" like this Click here to see on Ebay it will keep the aperture pin pressed in. There's no need to use any cardboard or anything else.

Are you sure? that would be great news.
So are you saying that the Adaptall M42 has a pin in the place where the Tamron lens has a spring?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way that seller is writing a not true thing. I can find these adapters in Italy from at least two sellers, one of them also sells them with the FA chip installed, and of black color (to prevent internal light bounces)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
By the way that seller is writing a not true thing. I can find these adapters in Italy from at least two sellers, one of them also sells them with the FA chip installed, and of black color (to prevent internal light bounces)

Yes, I have the black one too. If you screw the Adaptall mount into this adapter, it will keep the aperture pin pressed in. The Tamron lens with its M42 mount acts exactly like any other auto M42 lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Yes, I have the black one too. If you screw the Adaptall mount into this adapter, it will keep the aperture pin pressed in.

OK, that's a great relief! Smile
I didn't really like the idea to depend on that cardboard fix.

peterqd wrote:
The Tamron lens with its M42 mount acts exactly like any other auto M42 lens.

I hope that it keeps infinity then. Because NOT all my M42 lenses do once mounted on the adapter. The Jupiter-9, for instance, doesn't. And neither did my first copy of Pentacon 2.8/28 (which I sold because of that).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture of an English lane is with my 99p Tamron lens, hand held. (Model 03A - 80-210mm non-SP, which our member TamronSP describes as an average performer). The colours are not as rich as the Russian lenses, but they're nowhere near as washed out as the EF lenses IMHO. I am planning to give this lens to a young friend who is learning photography with one of my old Prakticas, and I think it's a perfect introduction to zoom. I wish I'd had this lens back in the 70s and 80s. The lady on the bicycle came round the corner as I was focussing and I didn't notice her!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the colors look ok, it's the detail that seems to be missing.

I have a Tamron 18-200 zoom autofocus apo bla bla which I bought for my 300D when I was not yet aware of the existence of the adapters.
I ordered this lens from abroad because I wanted it so much, what convinced me was the color compared to the horrible Sigma colors.
I already had the Sigma zoom 70-300 which was very contrasted and quite sharp. But I wanted the Tamron which is nowhere near the sharpness of Sigma, but had so much better color. Last winter, when I decided to sell some of my AF lenses, I got rid of the Sigma, in spite of fact that in my 200mm. test it performed much better than the Tamron for sharpness.
But I didn't care because the Tamron can give me saturated colors without me having to edit each image for color in Photoshop (which always cause quality deterioration).
Sigma colors were so pale.
I still have one Sigma AF lens, the 10-20 zoom, which I will keep because it's the only lens that lets me have superwide angle on the 400D.
But if I compare the IQ with the Flektogon, it makes me want to cry.
I paid for it almost 500 Eur and it was discounted.
I could have bought 4 Fleks with that money.
Or the latest version of a Leica lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reaction on this lens http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/54/29/, average performer is 103A the newest model. 03A is a great lens very close to SP product line.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
it's the detail that seems to be missing

Blame me for that Orio, not the lens. I'm not very good at holding the camera steady.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My first reaction on this lens http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/54/29/, average performer is 103A the newest model. 03A is a great lens very close to SP product line.

Your lens looks a little different to mine, Attila. Mine has a small sliding lens hood.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is 103A picture I made mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know?
I LOVE those British chimneys.
If I were in England, I would make a whole series on them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Sorry you have that the wrong way round the 103A is the newer model and the good performer. The 03A is the old one and not very good. The older one has the built in hood the newer one had no hood (103A)
You can confirm that on adaptall-2.com or http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/data/lenses/list_dis.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Funny I found 03A older model is better performer than newer 103A I have both lenses I am sure even if I confuse the pictures. Perhaps my copy from 03A is better than others and 103A is a lemon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Smile Funny I found 03A older model is better performer than newer 103A I have both lenses I am sure even if I confuse the pictures. Perhaps my copy from 03A is better than others and 103A is a lemon.

That is very strange. The 03A 80-210 (1979-82) is a very mediocre performer, perhaps one of the worse zooms Tamron made. It was replaced by the 103A in 1981 with a completely new optical design which does perform very well. Paying 99p for a 03a is fairly common nobody wants them but the confusion over them being the same name means you can usually pick up the 103A very cheap. Well worth buying if you want a fairly small 80-210 zoom but buying a f3.5 200 and 28 or 35-80 zoom is a better option
I doubt you have a 'Lemon' even a poor 103A would better the 03A. More likely is you have one that has been dropped or tampered with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, strange.