Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

vario-sonar 28-70mm F3,5-4,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: vario-sonar 28-70mm F3,5-4,5 Reply with quote

I'm asking here,
Is Carlzeiss vario-sonar 28-70mm F3,5-4,5 Mount C/Y MMJ sharp enough?
Thanx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is reputed to NOT be the sharpest of Contax zooms.
Whether it is sharp enough or not, well, that is subjective...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon this lens used to be a "kit" lens with some (late) Contax bodies. Generally not the "best" one if you consider the other contenders: Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4 and 28-85/3.3-4, which both are excellent zooms; however, it still is a sharp, contrasty zoom, if a bit slow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rumoured to be a Sigma designed lens, and not up to the standards of the other Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
This is rumoured to be a Sigma designed lens, and not up to the standards of the other Zeiss lenses.

Of course it must have been up to the standards of Zeiss, otherwise they would not have sold it under their own name. Wink It was the cheapest Contax zoom though, and if you compare the MTF's of it with those from the 28-85, you see that the sharpness is indeed quite a bit less, especially wide-open. The only strong point (in terms of MTF) that the 28-70 has is that it doesn't seem to have any field curvature to speak of (very visible in the 28-85 drop off in the corners).

See MTF sheets here: http://www.zeiss.de/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/5ed01eb620d0b1cec12570f80033cada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the answers. Price mean quality tough.
One more ask, is it US$300 for its price is a good price for this lens?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

death wrote:
Thanx for all the answers. Price mean quality tough.
One more ask, is it US$300 for its price is a good price for this lens?

No too much! Pass seriously this lens is not better than a 3rd party lens. The only Zeiss lens I ever tried that made me want to sell immediately (the others I sold through pain).