Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens evolution over the past 20 years
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Lens evolution over the past 20 years Reply with quote

I recently bought a mint Contax 2,8/135 on eBay.

I did not really need this lens, as I am quite covered in this focal length (see my signature).
However, I like Contax lenses and $200 was a good price.

Now I wonder, how has lens design evolved over the past 20 years?
In a Contax brochure of the 80's, Zeiss mentioned computer-aided lens computations etc.

We have much better computers now.

Putting quality control issues aside, do you think the top of the line Canon/Nikon of today can compete with the older Zeiss/Leica lenses?

Or, how do the new ZE/ZF lenses stack against their Contax counterparts?

Is it possible that my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is actually optically superior to the Zeiss prime I added to my collection?

This is not a trivial question. Perhaps it is even subjective.
However, there are members in this forum who could offer opinions that are more than a guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computers were used for lens computations as early as the 60s as far as I am aware.
For instance I am sure that Erhard Glatzel used computers for computations of the Contarex line of lenses and that was in the 60s.
Of course they were not the same computers as today Smile

The basics of the lens designs were laid down between the end of the 19th and the first 20-25 years of the 20th century.
I think one can safely say that whatever lens design came after, it was a derivation from the basic optical schemes invented in those times: the triplet, the planar, the ernostar/sonnar, the tessar.

Since the 20s, the major advancements was in the materials more than in the optical design. Lens coating, more and more refined optical glass.

I think the most important advancement in optical design after the aforementioned optical scheme of the old times, was the invention of the floating elements inside lenses, to optimize performance at all focusing distances. I think Erhard Glatzel was the one who first did that, but I am open to correction if not.

Computers aided of course in the speed - before computers, a lens computation could have taken (and sometimes did take) up to two years of calculations and sometimes even more!

I think one important thing to keep in mind is, lenses are business. So not always there is a progress as the times advance. It depends on the maker and on the market. Lenses are subject to a number of compromises: design time (a company can not pay designers for too long time on one single lens), cost of raw materials, manufacturing costs, etc.
For instance, there is evidence of fantastic lens prototypes that never saw the production light, because of budget and marketing reasons: one of the most famous, having reached almost mythological status, was Glatzel's Distagon 25mm f/1.4.
You can read about it here:
http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Glatzel-1,4-25/00_pag.htm

So the lenses that we have today, are not necessarily better (nor necessarily worse for that matter) than the older lenses. They are simply the result of what marketing research and cost/profit prospects have generated for today.
The moral is: one has to evaluate each lens individually: impossible to set a pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faster computers have helped lens evolution in at least five areas:

1. modeling -- designers can experiment with changes without having to produce a physical example to evaluate results.
2. zoom range -- increased computation speed has enabled complicated multi-element designs that would take years or even centuries to calculate and refine by hand.
3. aspherics -- increased computation speed enabled calculation of variations in individual element curvatures that benefit optical aberration corrections.
4. manufacturing -- computer-controlled lens grinding machines are much more accurate than hand grinding or non-computer-controlled grinders, and enable precision variations in curvatures, such as for aspheres.
5. cost reduction -- used to optimize materials use and manufacturing costs, not always beneficial to increased performance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
one of the most famous, having reached almost mythological status, was Glatzel's Distagon 25mm f/1.4.
http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Glatzel-1,4-25/00_pag.htm

So the lenses that we have today, are not necessarily better (nor necessarily worse for that matter) than the older lenses. They are simply the result of what marketing research and cost/profit prospects have generated for today.
The moral is: one has to evaluate each lens individually: impossible to set a pattern.

Thank you Orio.
Very interesting link. It also reminded me I have to resume reading Rudolf Kingslake's "Optics in photography".
Perhaps by the time I finish it, Google will have improved its Italian Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer-aided design you say... Well, I've got a very modern (developed and manufactured in 2010) Chinese Mitakon 85/2.0 lens. Sure enough, it's calculated with the most modern computers. It's still a classic Planar design of 6 symmetric elements. Its performance? Low resolution at f/2 and 2.8, field curvature beyond extreme, but high contrast and true colors (thanks to good coatings). I say, pre-war Sonnar 85/2 has an edge in performance here - except everything related to coatings (e.g. the modern lens has nire faithful colors, higher contrast and less flare).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generalizing is generally speaking a bad idea. Categorically speaking, I don't think today's newest designs by Canon/Nikon outperform older lens designs.

I am however convinced there exists a large number of modern design pro lenses, against whom the older Zeiss designs technically speaking stand no chance. The 14-24/2.8G AF-S Nikkor blows every other wide-angle out of the water, including the modern Z* SLR line. I am convinced the new 24/1.4G and 24-70/2.8G are two more modern wonders. Improved coating etc. also deliver razor-sharp telephoto lenses like 200-400/4G, 200/2G, 300/2.8G, 400/2.8G, 500/4G, 600/4G which do not have counterparts - certainly not in performance and often not even in line-up. Modern zooms have come far, outperforming older top primes already in the mid 1990s (17-35/2.8D Nikkor).

I can't speak of the Canon's glass as I have personally too little experience, but my Canon colleague's give similar testimonials.

An area where the modern lenses cannot and will not outperform the older designs is in fingerprint and dimensionality. While colors are more signature than realistic, the dimensionality and natural look in images from some of these classic designs is on a level no complex modern design can achieve. The more glass elements you put between the subject the more correcting elements you have to add, and consequently the less dimensional images you achieve. I find the Nikkor 50/1.4G AF-S one of the few modern lens designs which in best hands can deliver 3D which even comes close to the older Zeiss designs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern lens, for instance canon L can outperform most old lenses, but there are some of incredible old lens which can hardly be replaced. And that's not takumar 50 1.4 or similar, I'm talking about some lens that still costs 500+

And we still have modern zeiss lens which has similar signature as older lens.

I agree with Nikkor 50/1.4G AF-S, I have seen a lot of awesome samples.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
For instance, there is evidence of fantastic lens prototypes that never saw the production light, because of budget and marketing reasons: one of the most famous, having reached almost mythological status, was Glatzel's Distagon 25mm f/1.4.

prototype 13
36,5mm f/1,07
Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Is it possible that my 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is actually optically superior to the Zeiss prime I added to my collection?

I don't have any L lens but I think it should be easy to beat the Sonnar 135
good value for money (around 100 euros) but nothing special

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nkanellopoulos wrote:

I don't have any L lens but I think it should be easy to beat the Sonnar 135
good value for money (around 100 euros) but nothing special

Sonnar 135mm f2.8 perhaps weakest Contax lens what I known, good one as most 135mm but nothing special indeed. If you want to compare modern vs old look an expensive Contax not cheapest one. Like 35mm f1.4 , 135mm f2 etc Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely where most of the modern time & money for R&D and CAD goes into ZOOM lens designs as most prime lenses havn't advanced that much apart from coatings??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Surely where most of the modern time & money for R&D and CAD goes into ZOOM lens designs as most prime lenses havn't advanced that much apart from coatings??

If I see performance of my oldest and best lenses like Biotar 75mm, Pancolar 80 or Voigtlander Heliar (uncoated) I don't want better performance ever and I don't think so it is significant improvement is possible. Also if I spend huge amount a lens that should be unique, like old rare etc not a modern plastic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I am however convinced there exists a large number of modern design pro lenses, against whom the older Zeiss designs technically speaking stand no chance. The 14-24/2.8G AF-S Nikkor blows every other wide-angle out of the water, including the modern Z* SLR line.

I think the Distagon 21/2.8 is the exception to that. The Z* 25/2.8 is also very sharp across the frame for longer focus distances. The new ZA 24/2.0 for Sony as well. Probably beats the pants off the Nikkor at f/2.8.
Nevertheless the Nikkor zoom is a great feat by Nikon; you just have to like the rendering that they produce. It's very neutral and therefore boring and a bit lifeless to me.

Another example is the new Canon 100/2.8 L IS macro: a great lens but the Zeiss Z* Makro-Planar does blow it out of the water in terms of microcontrast, colour and general "pop" of the image.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/910856/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/933019/0#8810025

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I think one important thing to keep in mind is, lenses are business. So not always there is a progress as the times advance. It depends on the maker and on the market. Lenses are subject to a number of compromises: design time (a company can not pay designers for too long time on one single lens), cost of raw materials, manufacturing costs, etc.

We might expect new and unorthodox designs to emerge from university rather than corporate labs then. Have any student/class lens designs been adopted by industry?

Esox lucius wrote:
An area where the modern lenses cannot and will not outperform the older designs is in fingerprint and dimensionality. While colors are more signature than realistic, the dimensionality and natural look in images from some of these classic designs is on a level no complex modern design can achieve. The more glass elements you put between the subject the more correcting elements you have to add, and consequently the less dimensional images you achieve.

Then it would seem that the ideal formula for modern primes (should any firm be willing to make and market them) would be like (but hopefully better than) the Mitakon 85/2 mentioned above, a classic simple optical design combined with state-of-the-art (SOTA) coatings. I assume such simpler lenses would have attractively low manufacturing costs.

Which leads me to wonder: are SOTA optics design/fabrication packages available? Me, I've never taken an optics class; I'm an old (obsolete) electronics tech and software engineer. In early days of microprocessors, the Motorola MC68K family of CPUs was prominent. Motorola freely provided chip design software featuring modular function libraries. One could custom-design a CPU and its support functions (math, I/O, DSP, etc) for a complete microcomputer chip, and transmit the design to a Silicon Foundry making limited-production wafer runs. Such silicon foundries still exist. Where are the Lens Foundries?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RioRico for reminding me, I've been meaning to post about lens design softwares. I forget where I first heard of this, maybe here, maybe FM55; thanks to whomever posted about it.

http://www.opticalsoftware.net/index.php

The free WinLens3D Basic and the PreDesigner are a lot of fun to play with if you are into lens design...

There is also OLIVE (not free): http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=2118

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest leap was made at the end of '70 and during '80 with emergence of new low dispersion glass materials (Leica APO-TELYT 180 was first in 1975) and aspherical surfaces. During '80 and '90 Leica introduced a lot of APO lenses for R system.
1975 3,4/180 Apo-Telyt
1984 2,8/280 Apo-Telyt
1987 2,8/100 Apo-Macro-Elmarit
1992 2,8/400 Apo-Telyt
1994 2,0/180 Apo-Summicron
1994 4,0/280 Apo-Telyt
1998 modular system APO-Telyt-R 1:2.8/280, 1:2.8/400, 1:4/400, 1:4/560, 1:5.6/560, 1:5.6/800
1998 2,8/180 Apo-Elmarit
2002 2/90mm APO-Summicron ASPH
Not to mention the APO and APSH lenses for Leica M system. For the new S-system Leica develops strictly ASPH or APO primes.
After my experiences with APO-TELYT 3.4/180 I can't imagine how this lenses can be even improved (I know the APO-Summicron and Elmarit are reportedly better), it clearly outresolves 14Mpx sensor of my camera even wide open, not to mention the lack of CAs. The 2.8/100 Macro-Elmarit is considered best ~100mm macro made till this time - after almost 1/4 of century. But the quality comes at price.

Zeiss philosophy is to make competitive lenses without using special materials to keep prices "down". Till this time, they are still better than most of their competitors and in comparison to Leica, the lenses are truly affordable.
I think that in '70 Zeiss reached the level, where next improvement without using LD glass or ASPH surfaces is almost impossible. Unfortunately, at least longer focal lengths are impossible to correct to Leica (or APO Lanthar) levels without using those materials. Compare CAs of 23 years old 100mm APO-Macro and new 2/100mm Makro-Planar.

Pentax for example goes different route. Develops very compact primes with very good performance. Sure, not on pair with Leicas or Zeisses but for weight of one wide-angle Distagon 2.8/21, you can take complete prime set of Pentax Limiteds (DA15, 21, 40, 70). 600g Distagon vs. 587g Limiteds combined.

Canon developed lot of LD and ASPH prime designs too. But I'm not much into this system, so I can't comment. Ditto Nikon.

But the truth is, most R&D now goes to zooms.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
... can't imagine how this lenses can be even improved (I know the APO-Summicron and Elmarit are reportedly better),
But the truth is, most R&D now goes to zooms.

That's the question: demand for zooms is higher, and we all agree that zooms can still do better. So if prime lens' design cannot be improved, or only marginally (i.e. with extreme high costs), focus on zooms is normal. But don't worry, there will be times where progress on zooms will cost much higher than progress on prime lenses... And don't blame marketing too much, if there was no R&D and only marketing, this would not be sold Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:

Canon developed lot of LD and ASPH prime designs too. But I'm not much into this system, so I can't comment. Ditto Nikon.

I have quite a few Canon L lenses.
I think the performance of the 17mm tilt-shift, regarding CA, resolution and resistance to flare is phenomenal.
Canon says it has 4 UD elements and new coatings.
On the other hand, all of my Zeiss primes, both Contax and newer ZE, suffer from severe CA.

But photos made with Zeiss glass have another character.
After getting used to Zeiss, my recent pictures with the Canon 24-70,
a great and huge lens, now seem boring. Except the ones made with magic-hour light.
And I wonder, what would the result be if I had used Zeiss glass for these magic-hour shots?

CA crash test: 100% crop, extreme corner, overexposed. Canon TS-E 17mm @ f/7.1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:
I am however convinced there exists a large number of modern design pro lenses, against whom the older Zeiss designs technically speaking stand no chance. The 14-24/2.8G AF-S Nikkor blows every other wide-angle out of the water, including the modern Z* SLR line.

I think the Distagon 21/2.8 is the exception to that. The Z* 25/2.8 is also very sharp across the frame for longer focus distances. The new ZA 24/2.0 for Sony as well. Probably beats the pants off the Nikkor at f/2.8.
Nevertheless the Nikkor zoom is a great feat by Nikon; you just have to like the rendering that they produce. It's very neutral and therefore boring and a bit lifeless to me.

The Distagon 25/2.8 ZF vs. 14-24/2.8G is not a fair match: the ZF vignettes more, has more geometric distortion (the 14-24/2.8G is free of it at 24mm), shows more CA over the picture and corners are not brought into sharpness as fast as with the Nikkor. Tested on a D3 with two samples of both lenses.

The Distagon 21/2.8 ZF vs. 14-24/2.8G is a more even match, but losing by 1 goal does not change the final points: ZF has a lot more vignetting which is not removed by stopping down, at 21mm Nikkor barely shows geometric distortion whereas Distagon shows plenty. Detail is fantastic in both but CA in ZF is more, something that can be cured with proper post-processing (Nikon Capture NX2 removes automatically for 1st party lens, but not for 3rd party lenses. Lightroom may change that, but as long as RAW is encrypted 3rd party RAW converters lag behind). Tested on a D3 with 2 Nikkor samples and 3 ZF samples.

Brand heritage and legacy is stronger in the Zeiss than Nikkor, but that doesn't impact optical results. I know it is difficult to swallow, but in this case modern Nikkor wide-angle zoom beats both Zeiss modern wide-angle primes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I know it is difficult to swallow, but in this case modern Nikkor wide-angle zoom beats both Zeiss modern wide-angle primes.

I don't have to swallow anything. Smile If you want compare lenses by adding/subtracting points for sharpness, vignetting, distortion etc. then the Nikkor wins -- I didn't deny that. The rendering just doesn't impress me like the Zeiss does, which makes the choice easy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LTM 50mm f/3.5 collapsible Elmar is still the sharpest lens I've ever seen and/or used. In this thread, one owner documents 112 lp/mm with his copy:

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00LqNX?start=10

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of interesting points:

* Today's lenses can't use all the materials which were used in the old days and vice versa.
    * In the past the lenses didn't have to worry about AF, so focusing was easy to achieve by moving all the elements, avoiding changes in the optical formula.

IMHO, the three biggest practical changes have been the spread of very good zoom-lenses (70-200/2.8's and so on), and reduction of colour aberrations and shorter minimum focusing for tele-lenses. The strongest of old primes are still truly excellent performers, apart from often somewhatt strong axial CA or spherical aberrations.

I am sleepy, so anything I said above may be even more stupid than what I normally write.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find interesting the fact that Zeiss when releasing their new primes, even the very expensive video ones did not change the optical formula in majority of them. They did, however, improve the coating. Question is if they did this to preserve the old school look or just did not think they needed much improvement. What about adding a few fluorite and aspherical elements? I have read somewhere that Zeiss does not always mention what exotic glass goes inside their lenses. On the other hand, the new Sony Zeiss says it has lots of the stuff inside. Often I wonder, though, if this special ZA line is really better than the classic ZF? In some respects yes, in some no. All in all, it seems the new elements have not given a huge advantage in this case.
ps. IMO the Zeiss 100mm f2 would have benefited from APO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exotic lens materials have different thermal coefficients of expansion, i.e. useful temperature range is often reduced because of increased material expansion/contraction with temperature:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/technical-support/optics/optical-glass/