Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fed 2 Jupiter 8 5cm 1954
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Fed 2 Jupiter 8 5cm 1954 Reply with quote

Seems this time I show more interest about film technology than lenses on digital Embarassed

Any experience ? I am also curious about Industar lenses also with 5cm label I left one in shop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Fed2 and found it really uncomfortable: tiny viewfinder, a diopter adjustment lever that never stays in place, and clunky operation even after a CLA.

If you want a nice mechanical RF without spending a fortune check out the older Canon models like the IVSB IIF etc.: they are tiny jewels of mechanical construction, have 3 viewfinder magnifications for 3 different focal lengths, and the later models (IVSB2 etc.) have a larger viewfinder. With some patience, you can get a body for around 100€ or little more than that.

If you want to stay with Russian RFs, a Zorki 3 or 3M (not a 3C) is probably your best bet: it's beautiful (not as much as Canons or Leicas though), and it has a large viewfinder. The Zorki 4 is less elegant but shares most of the same qualities and costs less. Both are relaitvely easy to CLA with some time and patience, there's plenty of detailed info on the net.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I wish to get experience with Russians I will look for Zorki 3 too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, the lens you left in shop was definitely Industar-26m 50 1:2.8.
Jupiter-8 is much better, so you made the right choice=)

As for FED-2, I like mine and still using it with the same lens as you have.
And here a little example(cross-processed, sorry):

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a FED2 and love it Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my FED 2d because of the diopter and rangefinder. It is a looooong base and very accurate. It is one of the easiest to focus RFs I have ever had. It ties an M3 I had 30 years ago in rangefinder focusing ease.
I would not say the Jupiter-8 is better, just different and a tad faster than the I-26.
I prefer the Industar-61 to the J-8 because the I-61 has aperture detents. The J-8 is very easy to knock off its aperture setting when focusing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At evening I had a chance to clean surface of lens, seems I have a new looking camera in perfect order + a little cute bug Laughing Due Indutar 61 pretty cheap I think I will buy that too. I like this little camera let we see how I like it after first roll Laughing I sold my Leica II after first roll, bottom loading cut film before load was inconvenience to me. Now I have a nice combo this camera + 8,5cm Jupiter-9 + 8,5cm viewer I think need to take Jupiter 12 3,5cm f2.8 too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your shutter speeds are dead on, and there are no light leaks ... Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I hope your shutter speeds are dead on, and there are no light leaks ... Cool

I always measure shutter speeds so no problem if it is not accurate I can count it and compensate. Light sealing hopefully not difficult fix.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did measure shutter speeds.

FED-2 B 1/30 1/60 1/125 1/250 1/500
ok 21,73 57,30 114,94 229,67 344,58

These are fine values really, so I am happy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Veijo love it too.

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/fed-2.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Veijo, but I am glad he likes FEDs.
You did very well on your shutters speeds; the real values nicely complement one another ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I almost finish first roll with this camera, I like it pretty much , diopter adjust arm keep quite well it's position on my camera.