Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggest a 150mm Prime Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Suggest a 150mm Prime Lens Reply with quote

Recently I found myself in the position of wishing I had a prime to fill the gap between my 135s and my 180 Nikkor. Of course I could use any number of zooms, but I'm never quite satisfied using a zoom.

I've realized I don't actually know that much about 150s. The only 150 I think of off the top of my head is a Meyer Telemegor, and that would be okay, but I'd like some more suggestions to look into. 155mm would be just as good - anything as long as it fits nicely in the middle between 135 and 180.

My preferred mounts are M39, M42, Exakta, Nikon, Leica M, DKL, T, and Konica AR, but I'm open to considering other options as well if there's a particularly good reason. C/Y and Contax Rangefinder are mounts I've been considering anyway.

I'll be using the lens on mirrorless digital: a Fujifilm X-T2, to be exact.

Thanks in advance! Hopefully this topic will be useful to other readers as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super-Takumar and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 4/150 are very good and a good sized fit for the Fuji.
You might also like to consider the Mamiya 645 150mm and the Pentax 67 2.8/150mm and 2.8/165mm lenses as possible alternatives.
The Pentaxes are excellent but quite big though.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya A 150mm 2.8. Good in every way so far on my a7. Had to get it from Japan, they sent it extraordinarily fast.

But my Minolta 70-210mm f4 is almost as good. I hear the 70-150mm is even better. But yeah, they are zooms.

Here are some pictures with each of them.

Mamiya gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=60398074%40N03&view_all=1&text=mamiya%20150mm

Minolta gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=60398074%40N03&view_all=1&text=minolta%2070-210

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look at a 70/75-150mm zoom. Most of them are pretty compact and they tend to perform well.
http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-the-best-75-150mm-zoom-lens-t75397.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider made 150/4 Tele Xenar lenses in C mount and Robot Royal mount, the Robot one covers full frame, the c mount may vignette. There are also Kalejnar 150/2.8 in Pentacon Six mount. And several enlarger lenses, Nikon EL 150/5.6, Rodagon and Componon in 150/5.6 and their Apo versions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Schneider made 150/4 Tele Xenar lenses in C mount and Robot Royal mount, the Robot one covers full frame, the c mount may vignette. There are also Kalejnar 150/2.8 in Pentacon Six mount. And several enlarger lenses, Nikon EL 150/5.6, Rodagon and Componon in 150/5.6 and their Apo versions.

This would have been my proposal too, there are some excellent 150mm enlarger lenses, but a bit clumsier to use compared to a real camera lens like the proposed Pentax 4/150mm. An then there is the 150mm Printing Nikkor, but only for shooting macro at amazing resolution (it is an APO lens)!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

This would have been my proposal too, there are some excellent 150mm enlarger lenses, but a bit clumsier to use compared to a real camera lens like the proposed Pentax 4/150mm. An then there is the 150mm Printing Nikkor, but only for shooting macro at amazing resolution (it is an APO lens)!

The Printing Nikkor 150 just covers APS C, right? Not a lens I would recommend unless you have a very specific need/want. Great lens for what it was designed to do.

If price and weight are no objection, there is also a 150/1.8 Astro Berlin Tachar. And there are projection lenses, I rather like the Leitz Elmaron 150/2.8.

But for general use, the 150mm I use most is the Sigma Apo Macro. Not available in manual focus mounts AFAIK though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:

I can report that the Kaleinar 3b is quite difficult to use, at least on an a7. It will help if the focus ring is smooth but mine isn't unfortunately.
Contrast is fairly low. Compared to my 150mm Mamiya and 180mm Sonnar I rank it at 3rd place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
The Super-Takumar and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 4/150 are very good and a good sized fit for the Fuji.
You might also like to consider the Mamiya 645 150mm and the Pentax 67 2.8/150mm and 2.8/165mm lenses as possible alternatives.
The Pentaxes are excellent but quite big though.
Tom

+1! Those are my suggestions too.

That's those medium format lenses are big; the M42 Taks are only slighly larger than the 135s, however f/4.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Schneider made 150/4 Tele Xenar lenses in C mount and Robot Royal mount, the Robot one covers full frame, the c mount may vignette.

I knew I had tested it once, the C mount version does vignette on APS-C:

http://forum.mflenses.com/quick-and-dirty-image-circle-comparisons-t76370.html

I now have Robot Royal to M39 adapters made by RafCamera, so I can use my Robot Royal lenses on a Leica M to Sony E helicoid. This combination gives me a nice small package with extended close focus capability.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for the Takumar 150mm also, had one for years, love it, smooth focus and not too heavy. I wouldn’t worry about it being f4, never been a concern, it’s just a joy to use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all the replies! You gave me a lot of ideas I hadn't considered, especially the Takumar.

The projector and medium format lenses are interesting, but while I will be using the 150 for many different applications, one of the most prominent will involve trekking through the woods and hills to advantageous shooting positions, so size, weight, and ease-of-use are a factor I'll be considering.

Speed is not a big consideration for this lens, since it will often be used stopped down anyway, except for certain portraits; but I probably won't use it much for portraits because I already have other telephoto lenses I prefer for portraits.

That 150 1.8 Astro Berlin is fascinating. I doubt I'll get one, but I'll have to look it up - it must be huge!

Thanks again for all the recommendations!

I notice there's also an old ISCO 150 Westanar 4.5 - I may have to investigate that...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
That 150 1.8 Astro Berlin is fascinating. I doubt I'll get one, but I'll have to look it up - it must be huge!

It is large indeed, I have a projection version of it. I would only recommend it if you really plan to use the f/1.8..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mamiya 150mm f2.8 A is definitely very worthy of consideration. It's probably the best lens I own. Sharp wide open right into the corners and really beautiful bokeh. Gallery of shots from mine.

Here it is mounted to my X-E3. For comparison I've put a Nikon 135 f2.8, a Tamron 180 f2.5 and the modern fuji 50-140 f2.8 next to it for size comparison. It's a bit smaller and lighter than the 180, but not by much. (67mm filter vs 77mm too)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

The Printing Nikkor 150 just covers APS C, right? Not a lens I would recommend unless you have a very specific need/want. Great lens for what it was designed to do.

If price and weight are no objection, there is also a 150/1.8 Astro Berlin Tachar. And there are projection lenses, I rather like the Leitz Elmaron 150/2.8.

But for general use, the 150mm I use most is the Sigma Apo Macro. Not available in manual focus mounts AFAIK though.

The Printing Nikkor 150mm A and N versions covers much more than full format if used within it designed linits (88mm image circle)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kds315*"]
dickb wrote:
An then there is the 150mm Printing Nikkor, but only for shooting macro at amazing resolution (it is an APO lens)!

Macro only, not for mid-distance or infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

The Printing Nikkor 150mm A and N versions covers much more than full format if used within it designed linits (88mm image circle)

Nikon literature states a 30mm image diameter for at least a version of the Printing Nikkor 150/2.8, at its intended 1:1 magnification. The usable image diameter may well be larger than that, but 88mm is a scarcely believable jump in size.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

Nikon literature states a 30mm image diameter for at least a version of the Printing Nikkor 150/2.8, at its intended 1:1 magnification. The usable image diameter may well be larger than that, but 88mm is a scarcely believable jump in size.

I'm happy that the Nikon lens developers did believe it when they made it possible:
https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/record3/pr2.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

While that may be the case, my (original?) version does not cover FF, the images circle being about 30mm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:
kds315* wrote:
dickb wrote:

I'm happy that the Nikon lens developers did believe it when they made it possible:
https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/record3/pr2.html

This site says there is a version with a 30mm image circle and two with a an 88mm image circle, and that the lenses are not marked A or N, so if you were to buy one for use on an APS-C or larger sensor, be careful which version you get. Also, the page refers to these lenses as Printing Nikkor 105mm F2.8A and Printing Nikkor 105mm F2.8N, so there are certainly some typos on this page. It mentions a picture angle of 5° 50′ for the first generation lens and 16° 43′ for the second gen, so my guess is there has been some incorrect copying / pasting going on. If you can refer to an alternative source for information on the second generation lens, I would like to see that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across the post I vaguely remembered from Jonathan Sager on the photomacrography.net forum

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38462

So far, I have found that there are at least three distinct models of 150mm Printing-Nikkor:

Version A: 150mm Printing-Nikkor 1/4-4X ~30-86mm IC
Version B: 150mm Printing-Nikkor fixed 1X ~30mm IC
Version C: 150mm Printing-Nikkor fixed 1X ~86mm IC

While researching the 150mm Printing-Nikkors I got in touch with the Technical Director at Fotokem. He was able to confirm the lens they used for IMAX transfers (IMAX and 65mm 5-perf film for Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk was processed at Fotokem for instance). There is a newer version of the 150mm Printing-Nikkor that has a 86mm image circle which is the primary "off-the-shelf" lens for IMAX 1:1 film printing. This is the only model Printing-Nikkor with a large image circle other than the variable model which only reaches this IC at 3X. BTW: The specs on redbook are for the newest 150mm PN from the early to mid 1990's even though the pics are of a variable model from the 70's/80's. I have the feeling this is the source of some of the confusion around image circle for the 150mm lens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei wrote:
The mamiya 150mm f2.8 A is definitely very worthy of consideration. It's probably the best lens I own. Sharp wide open right into the corners and really beautiful bokeh.

Thanks, Kyle! I will certainly give it a look. I like the Mamiya lenses I've used.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out the SMC Pentax-M 3.5/150.
It is a good lens with a small footprint - easily fits Fuji digital

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Also check out the SMC Pentax-M 3.5/150.
It is a good lens with a small footprint - easily fits Fuji digital

Very nice! I'll take a look at that one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an ISCO Westanar 4.5/150.