Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ 135mm f3.5 Zebra Aperture fault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: CZJ 135mm f3.5 Zebra Aperture fault Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I originally posted this in the wrong place (newbie, sorry).

I would love to know if someone could help me.

I just got a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5 Zebra from ebay.
Unfortunately, the aperture control isn't doing it's job and the aperture is wide open. The seller said that he had been using it on a film SLR up until 5 years ago, but hadn't used it since.
The pin and side lever seem to be connected to each other and there is spring tension but just don't seem to be doing anything.
I'm happy to try and fix it myself. I have seen the Andrew Brown article but don't know whether the Zebra is the same internally.
The lens is working on my Canon 550d and is producing fantastic shots in its "wide open" state.
Has anyone got any experience of this problem that might lend a few words of advice? I don't want to mess it up as it's in really nice condition.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem and only a direct cleaning of the little buggers did the trick, they seem to lock up with the lack of usage, from dried oil I guess, it turns to glue to some extent, which of course is a pain in the ass. I simply used a swab with alcohol, I chose that specific liquid due to rapid evaporation but I do not know if it is the right tool for the job.

If you have any experience with dismantling lenses you can try to do it yourself, opening it's actually easy, fixing the blades is also easy the problem is putting it back together.
I ended up selling mine after fixing it, most frustrating photographic experience ever, didn't even get the chance to use the lens at all. When I finished successfully reassembling the damn thing the focus ring would at some point make the whole lens assemble pop out of place. The problem I believe was related to the number of turns you have to make when disassembling it, meaning, you need to count the number of turns that take to remove the barrel. I failed to due that and only realized it too late.

Failing to do that will result in a traumatic experience where you will need to guess by luck the right barrel thread to start twisting the barrel back into place. I never got it right that is why in the end, although it looked fine, it wouldn't work properly.

This was not meant to scare you, only to advise you. If you got a good deal on it take to a specialized shop (if there any for this old lenses anyway), taking into account the popularity of it it will be a nice investment.

This is a lens I have banned from my "to-purchase" list since the time I lost a 15 boxed exemplar that was taken by another buyer due to the seller not setting shipping costs for my country.......

You can read these instructions if you decide to risk it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ChromaticAbb

I would recommend about to make a mark with i.e. nail polish - easy to remove - rather of count turns ..

The moment when focusing barrel leaves multithread ring - make a mark and that's it.

By the way - the title of this thread is related to zebra version. Therefore, the disassembly is slightly different from Andrew Brown instructions

Confused

P.S. - Andrew Brown's instructions are little bit confusing still good though but definitely not the same as zebra version.

@ Karlos - if you don't feel confident enough, send the lens to me - I will repair for good price.

tf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.
I have to admit that I chickened out of attempting this reply and Trifox fixed it for me.
It is now working perfectly and impressing me every time that I use it.
Thanks for all the support. Look forward to seeing you again TF with another "project".
Best regards
Karlos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75437816@N07/7320539254/in/photostream/lightbox/