Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Vario-Sonnar: 28-85 or 35-135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Has anyone used this lens on a 5D ?
Are there mirror issues ?

I had one copy with no mirror issues at all, but my last copy locks up the mirror (doesn't come down) every single shot on my 5Dmk1. The aperture lever also gets stuck on 60-70mm focal lengths. There is some obvious deviations between different copies here. My first copy focused way beyond infinity and the 2nd one didn't comfortably make it to inifinity.

I'm returning my current copy, will probably try one a third time if I find one at a reasonable right price. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get a decent adapter for the 5D. If it's even just a little too thin, the mirror will hit the glass / mount / levers etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two different adapters and my first copy of the 35-70 worked fine on the thinnest one, whereas my second copy didn't work on the this adapter nor on a thicker adapter. There are significant deviations in the lens, not the adapter (in my case anyway).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to know, there must have been two versions then...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
There are significant deviations in the lens, not the adapter (in my case anyway).

I've had a similar experience. When I got my 10D several years ago, there seemed to be only two EOS-CY adaptors widely available, the Cameraquest adaptor, and that made by Bob Shell. I bought the Shell adaptor, which he said was made to highest tolerances in conjunction with advice from Zeiss. I think I paid about $150. It works on all my CZ lenses except the 180mm Sonnar, where I simply can't get enough torque to mount it without risking (i) blood spillage and (ii) being unable to get it off. I later bought one of the cheaper far eastern imports, which works with the Sonnar and other lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
except the 180mm Sonnar, where I simply can't get enough torque to mount it without risking (i) blood spillage and (ii) being unable to get it off.

LoL, that doesn't sound good. Laughing
I have cheap Canon-Nikon adapter that doesn't have any texture/ridges on the outside, just a sharp edge. Not pleasant for my hands to mount/unmount it (replaced now of course).

ManualFocus-G wrote:
That's interesting to know, there must have been two versions then...

It looks like it's just a difference in how the lenses are assembled. With my 2nd copy the aperture lever was simply sticking out quite a lot farther than on my first copy. The shroud/tube in which the rear element moves was also positioned a bit farther to the back on the 2nd copy, which is why my 5D's mirror was hitting it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I didn't want to open a new thread, my only question is that are there any mirror clearance problems with Canon 5D mkI and CZ 28-85mm?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: mirror clearance Reply with quote

Perhaps not useful to you, but I am using this vario sonnar on my 5ii without problems.

I believe the 5i is reputed to be even more tolerant of close fitting rear elements.

p.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! One more question: is the distortion at the wide that bad? It seems to be on par with kit zooms.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: distortion Reply with quote

I do not measure such matters, but according to the Zeiss datasheet, distortion is at is maximum of -3,5% at between 15 and 20mm. from the center at the 28mm setting. Presumably measured as they usually do, with a real specimen, not calculated.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Contax Vario-Sonnar: 28-85 or 35-135 Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
I am considering to get a Contax zoom.
I have seen some on eBay, in very good condition.

Both the 28-85 and the 35-135 are an attractive focal length for me.
In terms of optical quality, which one would you prefer?
Are they comparable with the Contax primes at, say, f/5.6 ?

I got my C/Y Zeiss VS 35-135/3.3-4.5 last week. Here's Tom Shea's review of C/Y Zeiss lenses: http://photo.net/equipment/contax/shea-lenses

I feel I am getting more and more like this lens. The VS 28-85mm is an excellent lens, but the VS 35-135mm performs better. Especially the sharpness, it's sharp throughout the whole range. Here are the weights of these lenses: the VS 28-85 735g; VS 35-135 860g, Nikon 24-70/2.8 900g, and 70-200/2.8 is 1530g. If we can carry the Nikons, why can't carry these C/Y Zeisses (except the Nikons are auto)? I am not sure will keep the 28-85 or the 35-135, probably the VS 35-135. Smile

Here are some test shots, hand-held, no PP. (C/Y Zeiss VS 35-135/3.3-4.5, Sony A7R):
@ f5.6

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20148/big_8065_DSC00142jpgnamed_3.jpg]
[/url]

Wide-open

Last edited by cellotone on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sharpness and colours, pretty good for an untouched image! Thanks for sharing them in big size!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
I read the Contax N 24-85 is even better, but becomes a bit expensive with the extra cost of Conurus conversion (which does buy you AF and auto aperture though), not to mention the few months of waiting time.

No need for a destructive Conurus conversion, you can mount the lens on a Sony A7 with a Kipon C/N to Sony-E adapter.

The Sony A7 / A7R / A7S series is really a dream made true for the vintage glass amateur...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no AF with the Kipon adapter.. if you want this, get "Fringer's full auto Contax N-Sony E adapter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFYUm5TxGNY

This one also works with NAM-1 for Contax 645.. Kipon doesn't

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
no AF with the Kipon adapter..

Hey, we're on MFLenses... We don't need no stinkin' AF! Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok accepted... but the Kipon adapter still doesn't work with NAM-1 which means no Apo-Makro-Planar T* 4/120 for the NEX/A7 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Metabones Leica R to Sony E mount adapter for my Leica R lenses. For my C/Y lenses, I am using a Rainbow Image C/Y to Sony E mount adapter, about $12 on eBay, the Metabones is still on the way. The in-expensive Rainbow adapter works fine on my Sony A7R. But I like the quality and tightness on the mounts of the Metabones adapter. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got a nice copy of the Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4/28-85mm which had been sitting in a local photo store for months. Since I have both the Zeiss CY 3.5/70-210mm as well as the later CY 4/80-200mm, and since both these CY tele zooms are relly good, I always had been lusting for either a Zeiss CY 35-70mm or the CY 28-85mm. Today I couldn't resist any more, especially since the lens looks like new and had a 82mm UV filter protecting its front lens.

Earlier on I already had been comparing this CY 3.3-4/28-85mm with the slightly slower (but aspherical) Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm. At infinity, and using 24 MP FF cameras, the lenses have a comparable perfomance level when it comes to resolution, contrast and CAs. The Minolta probably has stronger vignetting, and distortion-wise I haven't compared the lenses yet. Close range performance as well as bokeh are to be tested later, too.

The built quality and handling of the Zeiss CY 3.3-4/28-85mm is really good, although not as outstanding as the (Germany made) Zeiss Vario-Sonnar CY 3.5/70-210mm: There is slight wobbling when focusing and zooming, even though the lens doesn't seem to have seen a lot of use. A similar slight wobbling can be felt on my Minolta MD 35-70mm and 28-85mm zooms, too.

On the Zeiss CY 28-85mm the MFD for all focal lengths is 0.6m. Compared to the Canon nFD 4/28-85mm (0.9m), the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm (0.8m), the Nikoor AiS 28-85mm (0.8m) and the Yashica ML 28-85mm (1.7m) that's much more useful, especially for reportage purposes. Unlike all the other zooms mentioned, the Zeiss does not have an additional macro mode, probably to ensure the necessary mechanical precision and optical performance demanded by Zeiss. It will be interesting to see how all these lenses perform when compared side-by-side.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Today I got a nice copy of the Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4/28-85mm which had been sitting in a local photo store for months. Since I have both the Zeiss CY 3.5/70-210mm as well as the later CY 4/80-200mm, and since both these CY tele zooms are relly good, I always had been lusting for either a Zeiss CY 35-70mm or the CY 28-85mm. Today I couldn't resist any more, especially since the lens looks like new and had a 82mm UV filter protecting its front lens.

Earlier on I already had been comparing this CY 3.3-4/28-85mm with the slightly slower (but aspherical) Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm. At infinity, and using 24 MP FF cameras, the lenses have a comparable perfomance level when it comes to resolution, contrast and CAs. The Minolta probably has stronger vignetting, and distortion-wise I haven't compared the lenses yet. Close range performance as well as bokeh are to be tested later, too.

The built quality and handling of the Zeiss CY 3.3-4/28-85mm is really good, although not as outstanding as the (Germany made) Zeiss Vario-Sonnar CY 3.5/70-210mm: There is slight wobbling when focusing and zooming, even though the lens doesn't seem to have seen a lot of use. A similar slight wobbling can be felt on my Minolta MD 35-70mm and 28-85mm zooms, too.

On the Zeiss CY 28-85mm the MFD for all focal lengths is 0.6m. Compared to the Canon nFD 4/28-85mm (0.9m), the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/28-85mm (0.8m), the Nikoor AiS 28-85mm (0.8m) and the Yashica ML 28-85mm (1.7m) that's much more useful, especially for reportage purposes. Unlike all the other zooms mentioned, the Zeiss does not have an additional macro mode, probably to ensure the necessary mechanical precision and optical performance demanded by Zeiss. It will be interesting to see how all these lenses perform when compared side-by-side.
S

I have the one in the center- the Nikkor.
Other than a quick few rudimentary test scenics with it, I have not done much with it, which is sort of normal for me.
It certainly was a better performing lens than I had been expecting, and came in pristine condition.
Looking forward to what you find with it compared to the others...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Looking forward to what you find with it compared to the others...

-D.S.

Those mid-range zooms are notoriously difficult to compute. I wasn't aware of that fact until I personally met with the (then) head of optical computations of Sony camera lenses, back in 2010. He told me that constructing an excellent f2.8 "normal zoom" was much more difficult than e. g. a 2.8/16-35mm or a 2.8/70-200mm zoom! That's mainly because the lens designer - when designing a "normal zoom" - has to choose from two options:

1) main (master) lens positive, front element negative - thus basically a retrofocus wideangle design
2) rear element negative, front element positive - basically a tele lens design

If you choose 1) the "normal zoom" will be unsatisfactory in the tele range (and become huge as soon as go too far into the tele range)
If you choose 2) it's nearly impossible to get a decent performance below about 30mm

Therefore todays f2.8 "normal zooms" all are type 1), and don't go beyond 70mm. In fact the modern "24-70mm" zooms usually are 67mm or so at the "long" end. Not really "long" indeed!

Most of the above zooms are typ 1) too. Only exception is the Yashica which is type 2) and therefore has a MFD of 1.7m.
All vintage MF 35-105mm lenses I'm aware of are type 2 though, and have a relatively long MFD (usually 1.5m or so). Also the Minolta AF 4-4.5/28.135mm is type 2); to get a decent performance at the short end it was artificially limited to f4 at f=28mm (the aperture doesn't open completely at f=28mm).

S