Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super tele 500mm, suggestions please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Super tele 500mm, suggestions please Reply with quote

Could you suggest some cheap and not too much big?Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 500mm f8 mirror lens by Tamron, Minolta, Pentax or Nikon. Or a Russian mirror lens, some of them are very good and inexpensive.

Last edited by Pontus on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Russian Model? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want really cheap try to get Beroflex, Tokina clones, Hanimex, Vivitar and Co. I guess other 8/500mm are fine too but be careful about one thing: nearly all those rebranded Japan / Korean clones are prone to have one of the rear elements hazed. I have at home few lenses with the same problem. Ask before you buy if rear elements are clean. Don't buy anything except 100% clean samples.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about new Samyang 500mm f8 and Samyang 500mm f6.3?
Good lenses? Any test? What do yuo think about?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy any really cheap one, result will be awful. Tamron SP500mm f8 not expensive, small and very good.
Best what I know Russian MTO 500mm f6.3 , but a giant, smaller one is MTO 500mm f8 IQ like Tamron price sometimes lower.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MC Rubinar 500/8 makro, which gives me inconsistent results: sometimes it looks great, sometimes not at all.
Probably it's inconsistence has something to do with my still not being much comfortable in shooting with such a long lens.
Anyway, it looks in perfect conditions, it came with a bunch of original filters, and I paid around 70-80 euros for that, so, for the price, I'd say that I'm happy with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about Soligor 500mm f8? Is it good?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:

Which one? Tokina made some, and also Sun Optical.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:

I had one. Not bad, not good, just mediocre. Low contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an mto 500\8 multi coated, and its a very good lens. only because its so small!! its like an average 135mm f2.8 (lets say) and weighs even less then that. more like my 135mm f2.5 takumar, but lighter. and gets you great images. be sure to look for latest version of the lens if you're interested, the MC one and small form factor.

but the later lenses are all Rubinar branded (model type) and have an enlarged aperture what was f8 became f6.3 or f5.6, but with that the whole lens gained weight and size... a matter that i think is crucial. for example if you go out birding, a big lens is more cumbersome and focusing can be an issue, but a smaller lens can be more handy hands held, and give the same IQ if not better.

i also have an MTO 11CA (1000MM\10) And the IQ is not in any way short of the 500\8 lens, just amazing images, great colors, and a working distance you couldnt imagince possible with very good results!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's a good price in euro for mto 500\8?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Soligor 800mm mirror with a rotating diaohragm that went from f8 to f16 which must have had a cast iron body for what it weighed with very ordinary IQ. I have the MTO 500s in both f6.3 and f8 which provide quite pleasing results.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Canon 7d, on aps-c better a 500mm or a 1000mm? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500m for sure, even that will be tricky without a good tripod and technique.