Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ISCO Westron 35mm f3.5 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: ISCO Westron 35mm f3.5 M42 Reply with quote

Any experience ? I just bought a few days before , still untested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an f/2.8 version, not f/3.5. I do not know if the optics are similar. Many people say unkind things about ISCO glass in general, but I count this as one of the better of my 80+ lenses. It gives a great Leica-like feeling of 3D rendering. Maybe I was lucky?

Mine: Isco Westron M42 -- 35/2.8 -- near focus: 0.33m -- 13 iris blades -- 54mm(!!) front threads -- 250g -- # 719358 -- US$27.00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! Can you share samples taken with your lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've also got the 2.8 version, purchased from a kind MFL colleague, and I've been very pleased with it. (Contrary to the received wisdom, I've had very good success with Isco lenses generally.) Based on my experience so far, I would endorse RioRico's comments.

Here are a few samples; they may not fully demonstrate the lens's capabilities.

A couple of roses from the garden:

And a bokeh test (very nice, I think, for a 35mm):

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Univer: Wow, looks quite good! Interesting rendering and quite a good bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance today to go out and test it in nearly perfect weather.

http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-westron-35mm-f3-5-m42-budapest-citadella-g1-t31505.html

A good lens in my opinion with excellent color rendering and good sharpness and resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!

I should mention that I own another 35mm that is most likely an Isco: a 35/3.5 Berolina. It's a preset lens, and a very odd design: the front and back halves of the lens separate slightly as one focuses closer, revealing the helicoid inside. (The look, but not the actual construction, is not unlike that of the 35/3.5 Novoflex Noflexar.) There's also an automatic version of the same lens, and that version lacks the odd split-focusing feature. I believe the preset version is designated a "Type N."

That lens is among my favorites - at the focal length and generally speaking.

Congratulations, Attila, on acquiring a very nice lens.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jon! It is one of the smallest 35mm SLR lens what I seen, pretty much same looking than Biotar 35mm f2 which is a pre-war Arri-flex lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a few Isco-Göttingen lenses.
The one I like most is the 35/2.8 Berolina-Westromat.
It has a very peculiar background drawing I like.
It is one of my favourite lenses.
Here is one.

Michiel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sculptur wrote:
I do have a few Isco-Göttingen lenses.
The one I like most is the 35/2.8 Berolina-Westromat.
It has a very peculiar background drawing I like.
It is one of my favourite lenses.
Here is one.

Michiel

That I like alot. Might have to find me a copy. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On evilbay they already want ~100 euros for this lens (2.8 version)... *facepalm* Not the place to look for it, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great floral sample shots !

May I know the difference between ISCO-Gottingen Auto Westanar C 50mm f/2.8 and ISCO-Gottingen Auto Westanar 50mm f/2.8 ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a real stunning photo Sculptur - Michiel!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, indeed Michiel Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the samples above look very flat. The bokeh is nice but it's quite low contrast and colours look a bit washed out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I think the samples above look very flat. The bokeh is nice but it's quite low contrast and colours look a bit washed out.

I don't think they look flat; I actually perceive some depth in them. I agree that the colour saturation and contrast are not very high.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Thanx to this and a couple of other threads I had to get one Reply with quote

Heres my Berolina Westromat 35mm f2.8 copy I got today.
I love it!

This is at f4 i think. I cant be wide open but Im not 100% sure.
No PP except a little exposure boost.

This is wide open by hand at ISO 400 and the closest posible range, about 15 cm.
No PP at all.

The lens is one of my ugliest lenses ever but wow. This is a nice lens!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into both 35mm versions on a flea market today, but had no idea if they were any good. Now that I read prices on ebay, I'd kill myself. The seller wanted 17-18€ for 35/2.8. On the contrary, they were in a bad shape and I'm not sure if they could be cleaned.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Westron 3.5 was the "bargain" version. Not really good. I'd honestly pass on it for any price. The 2.8 version is a different formula, which usually has the Westromat name on it, is considerably better.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought one (ISCO-GOTTINGEN WESTRON 35mm 3.5) and just received it. Mine is the zebra version. I still haven't tested it.. but it looks really nice. Any example from this particular lens (3.5) ?