Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Tessar 50mm f 3.5 alu. M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Tessar 50mm f 3.5 alu. M42 Reply with quote

Hi there i just got this baby today Very Happy
but i want to ask people here if this is a genuine Carl Zeiss lens
or is a fake . the reason that i ask this is that it has a red T that i only on the new Carl Zeiss (mostly on the lenses made for contax) also i have seen on the forum a thread that some Carl Zeiss lenses are in fact fake russian lenses .

Best regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they put T* on Contax lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got yourself a real one. I unfortunately have no experience with the lens but I know a few forum members have. Orio found it to have an incredible 3D quality if I'm not mistaken.

I have an industar 22 for zenit m39 that looks similar. It even has the red "п" coating as an analogous feature to the red "T" coating. These, I imagine, were often passed off as genuine tessars but they don't look THAT much alike.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply
Vulko you are right on the contax lenses the T is with a *
but now i have a problem this lens mount after the fillet ends
it continues with non fillet metal and my adapter does not allow it to go all the way so it does not mount perfectly (no infinity focus max focus distance is 5m or so) i think i need to buy other adaptor without a pin holder.

Thanks again for the reply
Best regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real one, not fake. This lens is not expensive no reason to make any fake.
Red T means more expensive version due it has famous T coating that is normal to find lenses with T and without T mostly this means nothing after 70 yrs. If lens was cleaned coating is gone a very few lens did survive 70 yrs without cleaning. I have both version in many lenses my exceptional quality Olympic Sonnar has no T at all and looking like garbage. I have a mint copy from same lens with T and it's quality is lot less than others.

I have also Biotar 75mm in both I didn't see any quality difference etc.

Your lens is a pre-war lens , don't be surprise if lack of contrast and not super sharp.A bit PS can help a lot to this little cute lens. I look forward your report. Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Attila
only one question i saw in other posts on the forum
the term pre-war what does it stand for?
made before world war 2?
sorry for my lack of knowledge Embarassed

Best regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arhi_tectu1 wrote:
Thanks for the info Attila
only one question i saw in other posts on the forum
the term pre-war what does it stand for?
made before world war 2?
sorry for my lack of knowledge Embarassed

Best regards
Catalin

yes, ww2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arhi_tectu1 wrote:
but now i have a problem this lens mount after the fillet ends it continues with non fillet metal and my adapter does not allow it to go all the way so it does not mount perfectly (no infinity focus max focus distance is 5m or so) i think i need to buy other adaptor without a pin holder.

Hi Catalin, yes you will need to get another plain M42 adapter without the flange that presses in the auto pin on other lenses. Here's one for Canon EOS:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ peterqd
thank you but i found one at a local store

best regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To define your lens more precisely, please go here:
http://photobutmore.de/exakta/zeiss/

Translated with google:
http://translate.google.de/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://photobutmore.de/exakta/zeiss/&act=url

With Nr.3467682, your lens seems to be from the batch:
"2nd Design - beginning with Nr. 3000000 -
the first post-war normal finish, manual aperture, polished aluminum ( 1949-54 )

Nr. > 3.3 million - focal length in mm - 1952"

..so, NOT a pre-war.

Fellows, please correct me, in case I got it all wrong with pre and post.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have right Hasan 34xxx is post war.