Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Invite to Tamron lens gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Invite to Tamron lens gallery Reply with quote

You are invited to Join the Tamron Adaptall group.
A group on Flickr where you can see and Post your own Tamron adaptall lens pictures.
I hope you will come and join and help spread the word and interest in using Tamron lenses and manual focus lenses in general. Links to other manual focus lens galleries and info are most welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamronadaptall

Just started this week so please come on in and help out.

PS. You have to log into Fickr/Yahoo in order to see all the Tamron photos as Flickr has reviewed the content of my main account as ‘Moderate’. I was a bit surprised that they consider it only ‘Moderate’!

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to, but I only have a working AF lens by Tamron right now - is it accepted? Wink
I have a question about the 2.5/28
It has arrived this morning, and it seems to be stuck on the automatic position , as stopping down does not close the iris.
Will the iris work once the adaptall ring is mounted, or do I have a defective copy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I'll be happy to, but I only have a working AF lens by Tamron right now - is it accepted? Wink
I have a question about the 2.5/28
It has arrived this morning, and it seems to be stuck on the automatic position , as stopping down does not close the iris.
Will the iris work once the adaptall ring is mounted, or do I have a defective copy?

No it isn't stuck and it is as it should be. Adaptall 2 lenses never had a manual iris switch. No problem. What you do is look at your M42? adaptor, you see how the iris works? Get a bit of tape, cardboard or anything and push it under the ring so the iris is closed. Mount as normal and you have a lens that stops down manually. Check your bit of whatever now and again to make sure it is stopping the lens down. Maybe you could tell us if the f2.5 28 doesfit on the 5D?
if everything is Ok you now have an Adaptall lens and you will be so happy with it you will post some nice f2.5 28mm pics for us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

No it isn't stuck and it is as it should be. Adaptall 2 lenses never had a manual iris switch. No problem. What you do is look at your M42? adaptor,

Do you mean the Adaptall-M42 adaptor, or the M42-EOS adaptor?

Rob Leslie wrote:

you see how the iris works? Get a bit of tape, cardboard or anything and push it under the ring so the iris is closed. Mount as normal and you have a lens that stops down manually. Check your bit of whatever now and again to make sure it is stopping the lens down. Maybe you could tell us if the f2.5 28 doesfit on the 5D?

Gee the thing is becoming a bit too convoluted for my taste.
Yes there is a spring on the bottom part of the lens, I guess it is supposed to be covered by the adaptall ring. But it seems pretty stiff, I don't think that a piece of tape can keep it down, besides, where am I supposed to stick the tape onto? There isn't much room available around it.
I wish these things were made known before I bought the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem it is easy. Take your Tamron M42 mount, the one that fits the lens. look at the aperture pin and press it up and down with your finger. See what it does on the other side. The ring you see it pushing is what you want to jam open so that the lens is in stoped down mode. Then mount your adaptor to the lens, line up the green dot on the mount and the one on the lens. It will be a tight fit so give it a good turn to be sure it locks. Thats it you now have an M42 lens giving manual stop down. To release the adaptall mount from the lens push and hold down the little silver button at the mount end of the lens. Harder to write and explain than to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is, I made a quick test by holding the lens in front of the 5D, focused at infinity, and tried to position it correctly (i.e. focusing the horizon), I may or may not have hit it but so far it cleared the screen so apparently it may not be a problem lens.

What I'm not so happy about is that it seems to be very soft wide open, although this may have been influenced by the fact that I was holding the lens manually. Of course I could not try it stopped down.

I have read your mounting explanation, I am actually not worried about mounting the ring, I will figure it out (I did already have an adaptall ring time ago, on a 28-200 zoom I used to use with my FM2, I sold it a few months ago because the quality was not there compared with the prime lenses).
The thing that makes me wonder is how to stop the aperture mechanism permanently, when I use my lenses I really use them, in and out of bag quickly and often shooting outdoors for hours, will the cardboard remedy last intensive use or will it force me to fix it often?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have no problem. Wait till you get your M42 mount and you will see. I used 4 M42 mounts in such a way when I used to use Minolta/Sony, only once did I have to re-fix my bit of padding. There must be thousands of Canon, Minolta, and Sony users doing the same. I should not worry about the quality. This lens is only bettered by a few top price camera manufactures models.
This was a quick test shot with the Tamron f2.5 28mm Wide open I actually missed the focus a bit, sharpest point is just behind the flower. Even 28mm has a small DOF wide open and close.
F2.5 28mm full frame

28mm 100 crop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty good for macro. I see it focuses to 25cm, very good. I like to take advantage of close focusing with the wide angles.

I'll see, if I am happy with this lens I may try the 24mm. version that is advertised on the user manual.
24mm is a focal lenght that I really, really miss. Wider than the 28mm just enough to capture large buildings from not so far away, at the same time, not so wide like a 20mm, with which you often have to include in the frame unwanted parts.
I have a great lens in 24mm. (the Nikkor), but I can not use it on the 5D, and on the 400D it's not a 24mm anymore.
Of course I have no guarantee that the Tamron 24mm. can be mounted on 5D. But if this one will clear the mirror, than it may be worth a try.

One annoying thing with this adaptall system is that you have to buy a ring for each lens and this makes it not so economically profitable as it seems at first sight (buying 1 lens and 1 ring often means 2 shipping charges also, so if you sum up the various costs it doesn't stay so cheap anymore)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use one ring (Adaptall-2 mount) for all lenses.