Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opinions about selling my Contax Zeiss 35-70 3.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Opinions about selling my Contax Zeiss 35-70 3.4 Reply with quote

Hi folks!

I've got a 35-70 lying around here; doing pretty much nothing with it since I'm more of a prime guy (despite the 'one zoom beats them all' reputation the 35-70 has). I'm considering selling the piece but there's one fairly big cosmetic flaw. I think the previous owner has been messing around with the rubber focus ring since it doesn't seem to fit properly and has been badly glued back on etc. The focussing action itself is fine btw, it's just the rubber ring. In other words, the focus ring is a mess, the rest of the lens is in very good condition (optically excellent according to my own tests).

The lens usually goes for 300/400 euros on ebay; any indication/opinion on how much the focus ring issue devaluates the lens?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say it is totally worthless and better to give it away for free (to me) Laughing

Kidding aside, maybe you can take a picture of the focusing rubber and post it here to see if you can find someone interested?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was planning to take pics indeed, but my camera is not here at the moment. The ring itself in combination with some gaffer tape (that's how i DIY'ed it) does what it's made to do, but it doesn't look good ofcourse. I don't know if these rubber rings are still being sold as replacements or anything.

I might upload some pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look usual prices and give to buyer 20% discount

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual prices vary quite a lot. 300 euros is a good price if the mechanics are perfects and some not too bad marks on the paint, maybe a very small scratch on the glass. 400 is a reasonable price if it's almost mint. 450 for mint, 500 for unused in box.

I think the push-pull zoom/focus ring very strongly determines the ergonomics of this lens. If the rubber grip is loose/damaged, it can be even less nice to use than it already is. I am returning a copy of this lens because the focus/zoom is too stiff/squeaky (and big mirror clearance problems on my 5D).

I would definitely try to get a replacement rubber grip -- contact Zeiss Japan; I heard they still service MM lenses, whereas Zeiss Germany doesn't do any servicing of AE/MM anymore (this is what I've been told anyway).

If there is nothing else wrong with the lens and you can fix the grip, there is no reason why you couldn't get at least 325-350 euros.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is fantastic lens ..

do not sell it ..

tf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions about selling my Contax Zeiss 35-70 3.4 Reply with quote

daas wrote:

I've got a 35-70 lying around here;

Saying something like that about a Zeiss lens is a blasphemy. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, lenses like this are often bought on the looks. If it's gofer tape on the focusing ring, it will likely fetch anywhere between 50-70% of the "like new" price if you auction it on eBay. Try getting the replacement rubber ring, or sending it out for a fix. This way, you'll get a lens with "like new" cosmetics (and most probably everything else if you send it to Zeiss) that will sell for more than the usual price.

Letting the buyer deal with the issue without giving a deep, deep discount for all the trouble is just not right IMO. And, finding a buyer who won't care for the badge and looks and will merit the lens by its optical performance won't be easy or fast without giving a deep (grin Shocked ) discount.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we should trade Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
And, finding a buyer who won't care for the badge and looks and will merit the lens by its optical performance won't be easy or fast without giving a deep (grin Shocked ) discount.

I think it will be easier on this board than on the bay, don't you think? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
aoleg wrote:
And, finding a buyer who won't care for the badge and looks and will merit the lens by its optical performance won't be easy or fast without giving a deep (grin Shocked ) discount.

I think it will be easier on this board than on the bay, don't you think? Smile

Nope. With eBay just around the corner, why getting a lens that will be hard to resell later on and NOT asking for a reasonable discount?

I once bought a late s/n AIS Nikkor 35/1.4. The only problem was the missing rubber focusing grip. I saved about $150 compared to samples in EX condition. Ordered a new grip from a camera repair store for $20. Installed it myself. Pocketed $130 for the trouble. Would I pay full price for that lens? I don't think so, considering all the searching/ordering/installnig involved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear some opinions from you guys. I thought about getting some kind of replacement rubber, but I don't know any shop that would sell them. But like AhamB suggested, I might try to contact Zeiss Japan (Kyocera right?) and see what they are willing to do.

@Himself and trifox: I should clarify that my main interest is DSLR cinema; I shoot music videos, shortfilms etc. with my Contax Zeiss lenses, and occasionally some stills. I'm trying to get a hold on the Distagon 35/1.4 (which is pretty hard), and am currently using the 135/2.8, 85/2.8, 50/1.4, 28/2 from Zeiss. So no Zeiss blasphemy here Wink... the ergonomics of the 35-70 aren't really suited for my purposes but I do know what it's capable of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daas wrote:
the ergonomics of the 35-70 aren't really suited for my purposes but I do know what it's capable of.

I would totally agree with that. The 35-70 isn't very suitable for cinema/video use.