Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Budget EOS Entry Level for 35mm manual lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Budget EOS Entry Level for 35mm manual lenses. Reply with quote

Hi

I have a selection of Meyer Optik Zebras, some CZJ and Super Taks with a Canon 550D.

I'd like to buy an entry level DSLR for my daughter, who uses my 550D as much as me when we're out and about. Smile

I've recently sold a Nikon DSLR which I had considered passing onto her, but due to my understanding that they are unable to use many non Nikon mount lenses, that I simply can not afford to buy Nikon glass and consider money better spent on one make of DSLR in the household, to share lenses etc.

What would you consider the point of entry for a DSLR for her, an eager novice already very comfortable with manual control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer, CZJ and Takumar lenses come (almost all) in M42.
The "best" camera system for M42 is probably EOS.
Nikon doesn't do well with M42 lenses due to the short register distance.

Why not get an EOS 1000D? Or a used 400D / 450D?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucis

Yes most lenses are M42, forgot also have OM zuikos 50mm 1.2 and 1.8 and mount adaptor to EOS. All work well on 550D I have.

The 1000D is more the price I was considering as long as there are no known issues with using such lenses.

I'll have to look more into the specs to see what advantages or disadvantages there maybe for the 400/450.

Thank you for your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

You think so? Pentax has a long history of M42 lenses, and sells their own "official" M42 adapters. In the consumer segment, Pentax also has a slightly more favorable crop factor - 1.53x/1.54x vs 1.6x, and unlike Canon, offers a number of DSLRs with in-body image stabilization.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diffid wrote:
Lucis

Yes most lenses are M42, forgot also have OM zuikos 50mm 1.2 and 1.8 and mount adaptor to EOS. All work well on 550D I have.

The 1000D is more the price I was considering as long as there are no known issues with using such lenses.

All depends on this: what's your budget? Because the 1000D (naked) can be found for very cheap - about 300 Euros in France. If you're looking for significantly less, I'd go for 300D-350D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ylyad

I was considering just the body and here in the UK the 1000d is about the same £300, there's £50 cash back too until end of June. The 1000d is botom of my price range I think. But another 550D body would be too much, incuding the Class 10 memory cards for the video functions, but of coarse cheaper cards for photos generally and photos is what my daughter enjoys taking.

Scheimpflug, I'll take a look at Pentax, but if there is little in spec difference, I must consider things like additional batteries or mount adaptors for example that can be shared between my 550D and a 1000d possibly. If they are the same.

I wonder how the viewfinder compares, the LCD is smaller at 2.5", I think a trip to a local store to try one out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

You think so? Pentax has a long history of M42 lenses, and sells their own "official" M42 adapters. In the consumer segment, Pentax also has a slightly more favorable crop factor - 1.53x/1.54x vs 1.6x, and unlike Canon, offers a number of DSLRs with in-body image stabilization.

Pentax is surely great for M42 lenses as well. But M42 often is only a start. Later Nikkors, Zuikos, Zeiss/Contax and Leicas follow. Thus, EOS is the best system. And it offers fullframe cams. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Pentax is surely great for M42 lenses as well. But M42 often is only a start. Later Nikkore, Zuikos, Zeiss/Contax and Leicas follow. Thus, EOS is the best system. And it offers fullframe cams. Wink

+1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diffid wrote:

I was considering just the body and here in the UK the 1000d is about the same £300, there's £50 cash back too until end of June. The 1000d is botom of my price range I think. But another 550D body would be too much, incuding the Class 10 memory cards for the video functions, but of coarse cheaper cards for photos generally and photos is what my daughter enjoys taking.

Scheimpflug, I'll take a look at Pentax, but if there is little in spec difference, I must consider things like additional batteries or mount adaptors for example that can be shared between my 550D and a 1000d possibly. If they are the same.

I wonder how the viewfinder compares, the LCD is smaller at 2.5", I think a trip to a local store to try one out.

No accessory sharing (batteries/chargers of 1000D are identical to 450D-500D, but 550D is a new generation) except for memory cards Smile
Viewfinder of 1000D is the one of 300D-350D-400D, so quite smaller and darker than the 550D (I confirm). Honestly, if 300£ is more than what you intended to buy, I'd recommend going to a used 350D (150 Euros) 400D (200 Euros) or even 300D (100 Euros), the advantages of the 1000D mainly being the larger screen and the continuous shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad

I thought as much about the accessories, too bad. My budget is £300 upwards rather than all I want to spend but can't really go to another 550D so I'm going to settle on a 1000d for her.

I appreciate the comparison to older models and suggestion in buying second hand. For the price of the 1000d, £275 compared to time / cost finding a decent second hand older model, I think the 1000d will be more than enough performance for her for now.

Thanks all for your input and I hope to show some results from us here on this great site. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Pentax is surely great for M42 lenses as well. But M42 often is only a start. Later Nikkors, Zuikos, Zeiss/Contax and Leicas follow. Thus, EOS is the best system. And it offers fullframe cams. Wink

Sure... but if full-frame was in the picture, then the solution would be much simpler- diffid could just buy a 5D for himself and give the 550D to his daughter. Very Happy

I wouldn't worry too much about sharing adapters... once you have two cameras for two people, there is a very good likelihood that they won't always be in the same place at the same time. "Sharing" is one of those things that works well in theory, but breaks down quickly if any important resource becomes scarce. With how cheap the adapters are, it would be advisable to purchase a few extras anyway, at which point the camera system doesn't really matter. Wink

Also, diffid, for batteries remember that many Pentax bodies take readily available AAs instead of proprietary lithium-ion batteries. This might be handy for your daughter, as the rechargeable NiMH batteries are extremely cheap, and you can always use disposable alkalines in a pinch if necessary (traveling, etc).

I'm not trying to steer you away from another Canon... just trying to make sure you know what is available. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ready to pay a little extra, I'd advise going to a 450D rather than a 1000D. Brighter and larger viewfinder (same as 550D) and better AF.

And I must say I thought about making a similar proposal to scheimpflug's Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug & ylyad

Ok, had a quick look at Pentax k-x, looks interesting, is the k-x what you were suggesting? Or other recommendations?

I will read up on Pentax later this evening, currently working so little time. Smile

Regarding adaptors for Pentax they do their own to M42 and K Mount? Are others available for example Olympus OM mount?

Thank you again. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no Smile I proposed 450D (Canon). But my initial thought was the following: YOU upgrade (50D - quite cheap these days - or higher: 7D or even 5DmkII) and you give the 550D to your daughter Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Pentax is surely great for M42 lenses as well. But M42 often is only a start. Later Nikkore, Zuikos, Zeiss/Contax and Leicas follow. Thus, EOS is the best system. And it offers fullframe cams. Wink

+1 Very Happy

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diffid wrote:
Scheimpflug & ylyad

Ok, had a quick look at Pentax k-x, looks interesting, is the k-x what you were suggesting? Or other recommendations?

I will read up on Pentax later this evening, currently working so little time. Smile

Regarding adaptors for Pentax they do their own to M42 and K Mount? Are others available for example Olympus OM mount?

Thank you again. Smile

Not available.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attia, is that the k-x not available or the OM mount. Smile

I have located a 450D body new at decent cost. So go for that or 1000d then. Smile

Is there any problems with metering accuracy in manual mode with the Canon DSLR''s like 550D, 450D, 1000D I haven't noticed anything so far with the 550D?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by "metering accuracy"? if it's the relevance of the AF confirm stuff, that's what I'd like to know too...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read places that users of Canon DSLR's say only AV mode meters accurately with manual lenses and stop down mode, probably not scientific tests. They mention under or overexposing inaccuracy, don't know what metering mode they were using.

I've had no problems with the 550D, although I generally only use spot metering, perhaps it is prior models of older design, perhaps no problems exist and it's users error or unfamiliarity?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diffid wrote:

I have located a 450D body new at decent cost. So go for that or 1000d then. Smile

Is there any problems with metering accuracy in manual mode with the Canon DSLR''s like 550D, 450D, 1000D I haven't noticed anything so far with the 550D?

I said exactly this , not available.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
diffid wrote:

I said exactly this , not available.

The K-x is available new from Adorama, and as a demo from B&H. Of course, there are hundreds of them on ebay as well. Wink

For the OM lenses, you can adapt the 50/1.2 via a Leitax conversion, but not yet the 50/1.8.

---

Regardless, this is getting away from what you are after. Wink My main point was just to add some balance to LucisPictor's "best M42 system" comment, as I believe the best M42 system in the budget consumer range is probably Pentax. For a system with the most compatibility across the board, outside of M42, you're probably best with a Canon. Wink

So, if you only have the two non-M42 lenses and you think your daughter could live without them, then you could get a Pentax with a M42 adapter and enjoy the Pentax benefits (in-body shake reduction, standard & inexpensive batteries, significantly better high-ISO performance (K-x), better crop factor, higher resolution (vs 1000D), HD video, etc). If you want to use every lens with every camera and have the most flexibility for other non-M42 lenses in the future, then buy a Canon. Wink

It's up to you. Just whatever you do, don't buy her a Nikon. Embarassed Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug

Yes the Pentax k-x has quite a lot on paper that looks more beneficial than the 1000D or 450D.

The overiding factor for my daughter is to have access to a range of lenses for macro, wide angle, short tele etc, college coarses require a range Smile

To buy these as new canon mount or other, the cost would be prohibitive, to use fair to good or better older manual lenses should come at a more reasonable price and there is the fun of discovering their quirks. Smile

There are a lot of M42 mount lenses about, going the Pentax route would I think be perfectly ok to achieve a range.

My 550D could be used should there be a need.

So the Pentax k-x looks good and the price very competitive.

Thanks again. So leaning towards the Pentax k-x. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pentax would be a good decision. I have one with m42 lenses and it works Fine.
To solute the Problem with the compability to your 550d simply buy a pentax to Canon Adapter. Haven't tried it but should work.
lg asa14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about a used Canon 20D - a robust and excellent camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Have you thought about a used Canon 20D - a robust and excellent camera

Or even a Canon 10D - I use one along with my 5DMKII and it is also a robust and excellent camera.