Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My new "Railgun"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: My new "Railgun" Reply with quote

It is Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 240mm f/5.6 mounted on Sinar plate.

Setup. Nikon PB-3 bellow + extension tubes + lens mounted on Sinar plate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial 2 test shots , bit boring stuff LOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked You do mount this on a tripod?

Last edited by mo on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice experiment, quite a big slow 240mm!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is 420mm. F12 is needed on large format for sufficient dof. The lens performs pretty good on crop dslr imho, similar to looking at actual pixels from sharpest APS-C lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tells the green text in the front? Can you part the lens by taking off an element of the 240mm F5.6 lens to get a 420mm F12?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I see the two focal lengths now. For different size LF media sizes, the 'crop-factor'?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Not crop factor Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Oh! I see the two focal lengths now. For different size LF media sizes, the 'crop-factor'?

A lens focal length remains the same no matter what format it is on. We talk about crop factors and 35mm equivalents, but to my knowledge no lens maker has ever engraved a "crop factor adjusted" focal length on a lens. This lens is a "convertible" -- it's focal length can be changed by adding or removing groups of elements. Kind of like having a large format lens that comes with it's own teleconverter. Very Happy

Last edited by GeorgeDexter on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Not crop factor Reply with quote

GeorgeDexter wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

A lens focal length remains the same no matter what format it is on. We talk about crop factors and 35mm equivalents, but to my knowledge no lens maker has ever engraved a "crop factor adjusted" focal length on a lens. This lens is a
Quote:
convertible
-- it's focal length can be changed by adding or removing groups of elements. Kind of like having a large format lens that comes with it's own teleconverter. Very Happy

That makes more sense, thanks! No worries, I am well aware focal length does not change with media size; crop factor is useful only for comparing angle of view with different format cameras. Well, I have found one use for crop factor; that is for dof scale accuracy when using a lens for another format camera on crop-camera, multiply dof scale f/# by crop factor for setting lens aperture.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A lens focal length remains the same no matter what format it is on. We talk about crop factors and 35mm equivalents, but to my knowledge no lens maker has ever engraved a "crop factor adjusted" focal length on a lens.

They sometimes do Laughing! Engraved around the lens of my Kodak Easyshare C360 (digital P&S): "34mm-102mm (Equiv) AF 3x Opticall".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for sharing the infos !

No mo, I hand held it. Very Happy

I read somewhere, the 2 length engraved on the ring, like whats been mention, it is convertible by removing the rear group of the lens to achieve 420mm.

Actually, what is shown here is just a temporary holding. Now, I had removed the Sinar plate and mounted it the other way round. The name ring lens part mounted on the bellow and the rear lens part facing out. One funny thing I realised, changing the front and rear, the focusing point changed. For example, I mounted it like what the photo shown, the subject is sharp and in focus. I locked the bellow, removed the lens and put it the other way round, subject off focus ! Shocked Is it because of the different magnificant or something else causing it ?

By the way, the name ring lens part had a diameter of 67mm, thus it is mounted to the bellow securely via 67mm-62mm stepdown, 62-58mm stepdown, 58mm reverse ring to Nikon mount, Nikon mount extension tubes and finally to the bellow.

I will put up the photos soon. Now with everything mounted up, it looks like a Panzerfäuste ! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My another "railgun"

Schneider G-Claron 305mm f/9

This is one long long long lens ! almost 2 full sets of extension tubes at both ends of the bellow ! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subjects had to be far far away or high high up !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thought: Hmm, that's interesting

Second thought: Why?

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:

Laughing

Doing and using something different to get a different perspective ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing something different (especially if it's technology used) is I think the only thing keeping photography alive and developing, hence it is commendable in my opinion Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Second thought: Why? "

Because its there !

- Sir E. Hillary

It looks like this monster is good for 8x10, and possibly 11x14

Get an old camera (or make one), and this should make amazing pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep doing it because you can! Very Happy However you may need longer arms if you keep going and multiple tripods... Laughing Laughing Can you take a photo of those objects with a normal camera/lens just for comparison?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Esox lucius, I agreed with you.

Luis, you mean with a film back and ground glass setup that kind ?

Mo, ok sure. I think you want to see the distance or something ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a large format camera.

You have the really expensive part, lens and shutter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mo, ok sure. I think you want to see the distance or something

Yes, thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
tkbslc wrote:

Laughing

Doing and using something different to get a different perspective ? Rolling Eyes

I like to tinker, too, but you have to admit this is not at all a practical solution by any definition. There are plenty of 200-300mm options designed for an SLR that would likely perform considerably better and not require a tripod and 2 foot long focusing extension.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an excellent way to evaluate center sharpness of a LF lens, and if you can arrange for a mount with sufficient movements, across the covered circle too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's way cool....I'll have to give this a go!....I've been using extension tubes with lenses over 300mm to get close ups of hummingbirds....for certain with small animals,reptiles and birds the bellows would give you a lot of options....Thank you Krisgage very much for the idea and the inspiration! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
tkbslc wrote:

Laughing

Now that is an attitude I can agree with.