Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

contax planar 80:1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: contax planar 80:1.4 Reply with quote

small sample from yesterday with planar 80:1.4 wide open on 5DII
you can select HD and view it full screen
resolution is 1280x720 but not as good as original
you can also download mp4 clip on the bottom of vimeo page
the 30mb video will play smoothly on your pc
http://vimeo.com/8542797

Last edited by poilu on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: excellent Reply with quote

+1

kds315* wrote:
Looks very good to me!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 2

very good colours, amd I got to be envious for the people there walking around in shirts! Here freezing Mad

What program do you use to edit your HD videos?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks lcallow

thanks Dr Klaus, & thanks for the vimeo thanks Very Happy

"Orio wrote:
What program do you use to edit your HD videos?

I tried premiere for the first time but I will also check vegas & other
How do you find wide open 1.4 for video Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I tried premiere for the first time but I will also check vegas & other

I would like one of those programs but they are so expensive.
I have two cheap video editing programs (Pinnacle and Magix), but I don't know if they manage HD - so far I only shot at VGA resolution (640x480)

poilu wrote:
How do you find wide open 1.4 for video Very Happy

Oh it's very good of course! When it's focused. The problem is, you need to have a feet-static subject. Otherwise to track focus requires a VERY trained hand. If you check my video made with the Contax 2.8/135 you will see the trouble. The 2.8 aperture is smaller than 1.4 but the longer focal lenght compensates. The DOF for the subject is very narrow, one step nearer or farther and the focus is already off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the video, very nice! But now I know why I prefer cameras with sensor-based IS. I can film with my Pentax K-7 and this Planar 85/1.4 and have no camera shake at all Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks spot, I wait some K-7 video of yours at 85:1.4 to see how good they are Very Happy

Last edited by poilu on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my movies definitely won't be better with regards to the subject, but at least less shake. And I don't have an 85/1.4 yet (f/1.5 is too fast Very Happy ) Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice sample... respect.

Me, iam waiting for better weather and especially more light to try out the movie feature.. Sad

So far, the Zeiss is doing a great job..

I am now interested to checkout this feature with my Samyang 1.4/85..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Me, iam waiting for better weather and especially more light to try out the movie feature..

yes, it will be nice when the DSLR Movies section will be dynamic

Quote:
I am now interested to checkout this feature with my Samyang 1.4/85..

already many samples on the net, check the 3D of this one Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, poilu!

great job - I love that video! and cool subject...

We are moving forward Wink

tf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Spring i want to do some macro movies with the Makro Elmarit. That should also be a good idea to see, how the ants and spiders are coming up.
Let us see, what spring can deliver in this medium.
In my thoughts i already write a small storyboard ..
shots and shots from reverse directions.. bit by bit i realize, what could fit to this medium.

And i am interested in find solutions for my Angenieux (two ring construction for zooming and focusing) to let the zoom work smoother than with the normal rings..

Maybe a rubber wrench would be a nice idea.. what do you think?

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice video poilu!
very beautiful colors and the camera handles the moving objects very well

I am surprised how much seems to be in focus even though you shot fully open - which, for the sake of showing the lens performance, of course is a good thing!
- but simply seen as a movie I find it disturbing when the subject comes out of focus so easily when moving just a bit towards / away from the camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks tF!

Henry wrote:
Maybe a rubber wrench would be a nice idea.. what do you think?

you have to google 'follow focus' and find a lot of diy method like this one

kuuan wrote:
but simply seen as a movie I find it disturbing when the subject comes out of focus so easily when moving just a bit towards / away from the camera

thanks, I did it for fun and didn't wait much
in real movies, they plan every move and a operator handle just the focus
for this small clip, I am quite happy with the results and find it usable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes poilu, your video is fantastic! great result, very well done, also specially the focusing. I am just wondering if stopping down 2 or 3 stops would be good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricl wrote:

Hello Orio

Try Sony Vegas 9 Pro. It will do HD video and it's not as expensive as Premiere.

652 Euros ???
No way.
I can buy a top scanner with that money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey poilu... nice video! desire for tinker?
http://www.diycamera.com/stabiliser/index.html

poilu wrote:

already many samples on the net, check the 3D of this one Shocked

this one is stunning like hell! i can't believe that it was taken with a 200€ lens. what a wonderful and clear rendering. now i have seen enough... i have to try that lens. and forget about the described aperture problems for the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, it's a fantastic manual lenses film.!!! I have to use on bookmark Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you may have stopped down that lense a bit, but in my experience in SLR video it never hurts to do so. Doing follow focus yourself is much, much easier if your shooting around F/4, as long as you have enough light (which you should outdoors). Remember that ISO isnt as "grainy" in video as there is a lot of movement, which in many lighting situations will mask the negative effects.

edit:

I would strongly recommend premiere over vegas, especially if you can aquire it with the full adobe suite. Integration of After Effects and Soundbooth is VERY useful for editing, especially in HD! If you have a mac, of course final cut is easiest.

If you want to learn the best, however, go with Avid. All of them are expensive, so buy or acquire by some other means.