Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

From Russia with love - J9 many samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: From Russia with love - J9 many samples Reply with quote

Got myself my first Russian, a Jupiter-9 in silver, slr model with M39+M42. It's a 2 ring-aperture, stepless.

Samples with Pentax K5. Long tele hood. No filter. Many without PP, but all photos at f2 have black level adjusted.
It's simple amazing.

#1 f2.0 (black level adjusted)


#2 f2.0


#3 f2.0


#4 f2.0


#5 f2.8


#6 If I remember correct, this is at f2.8. I shot one session with f2.8 only.


#7 f4.0


#8 f4.0


#9 f8


#10 f8


#11 f11, infinity details


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples Smile


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am jealous...a very nice set from a really great lens.I hope you post more. Cool


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in Club! Smile Time to respect more other great Russian lenses. I love especially first 2 pictures.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all,
I feel welcome already Laughing

I have read about these years ago, but never in my buying list, partly because J9 and russian lenses in general, are relatively rare on the local market, partly it is like russian roulette between bad and good copies.

The only cons I have about the J9 is a bit focus play - it's not as precise as pentax or zeiss. I am ok with size and weight, and feel funny with the aperture control of this lens. My copy is not perfect mechanically, or perhaps all J9 lenses are like this, but the rending and bokeh is just stunning. F2 is a bit soft, but it can be sharp stepdown a bit.

Dear Mo,
As your request, I have few more to illustrate portrait distances:

#12 at f4. I put a white paper towel on the table for fill light.


#13 at f2.8


#14 at f2.8


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome!


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very interesting to observe the Jupiter's characteristic bokeh wide open. Pictures #2 and #14 show blur discs that have a bright spot in the middle and a bright edge on the outside of each ring. I have quite a few versions of the J9 lens, and different versions seem to render those discs dirrerently. By different versions, I mean alu/black and MC/non-MC varieties. I think this has something to do with under/overcorrected spherical aberration in the different versions of this lens.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have inspired me to give mine a more thorough shoot.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice shots here Very Happy
I was surprised to hear you say there was some focus play with the lens. I have a black one, M42 and I'm sure single coated, it is exceptional mechanically, an engineer's dream. Razz perhaps yours needs a little TLC Wink


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples the m39slr seems to be the best of the jupiters mine is the same and its a fab lens


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your copy is a good one, with nice detail and contrast. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BKSPicture wrote:
That looks awesome!

Thank you

woodrim wrote:
You have inspired me to give mine a more thorough shoot.

Serious? Thank you. We both have the Hexanon 85. I haven't use it enough. My copy has 1mm play in focus mech, but it would be interesting to see the J9 agains Hexanon Very Happy

SonicScot wrote:
Some very nice shots here Very Happy
I was surprised to hear you say there was some focus play with the lens. I have a black one, M42 and I'm sure single coated, it is exceptional mechanically, an engineer's dream. Razz perhaps yours needs a little TLC Wink

My copy has little play, more like the thread of the helicoid had been weared or unprecise engineered. It does help a lot when I tighten the lens, but still somewhat annoying.

eddieitman wrote:
Great samples the m39slr seems to be the best of the jupiters mine is the same and its a fab lens

Lightshow wrote:
Looks like your copy is a good one, with nice detail and contrast. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Thank you. This is my first and only. I am still not confident to get another, say Helios-40! Luck should count in too Very Happy

aoleg wrote:
It's very interesting to observe the Jupiter's characteristic bokeh wide open. Pictures #2 and #14 show blur discs that have a bright spot in the middle and a bright edge on the outside of each ring. I have quite a few versions of the J9 lens, and different versions seem to render those discs dirrerently. By different versions, I mean alu/black and MC/non-MC varieties. I think this has something to do with under/overcorrected spherical aberration in the different versions of this lens.

That info is interesting. I notice the rings, but at different distances, the high light ring effect is gone. I have a few other lenses that have wierd light bokeh in certain distances. #13 and #14 has the same light condition. Distance to subject #13 is about half of #14, while distance to background remains the same.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra images...lovely portraits ,like you they (J9) are pretty rare down my way...but I keep looking Laughing


PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
You have inspired me to give mine a more thorough shoot.

Quote:
Serious? Thank you. We both have the Hexanon 85. I haven't use it enough. My copy has 1mm play in focus mech, but it would be interesting to see the J9 agains Hexanon Very Happy



Yes, you have an excellent use of depth of field. Thanks for remembering the Hexanon 85/1.8; hopefully this weekend I'll give it a proper workout along with the J-9 and one or two others. It will all come down to what one likes better, sharpness, bokeh, color, or speed/depth of field.