Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri F2 55mm (modified to Nex)
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Petri F2 55mm (modified to Nex) Reply with quote

I picked this lens up for 3 from a charity shop and decided that it would be nice to use it, so i removed the petri mount, and glued it to a spare NEX mount for olympus that was faulty i removed the OM mount and used some epoxy glue to fix it to the NEX mount here are the results
#1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

#7


PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent performer! And top value for money as well!


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you possibly made more samples? I am considering adapting it too. I've just cleaned aperture blades from my sample. Let me say this is one of the best made lenses i've ever seen. It reminded me of good ol' Voigtlnders: fine mechanics, brass and metall only, genuine design. No cheapo! These are probably last original PETRI made lenses.


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several copies of the 1.8/55 and it renders exactly like this 2/55. IQ is wonderful, very sharp at infinity. It is very well made, similar to a Takumar.

Petri didn't make it however, they were made by someone else for them and I am pretty sure the maker changed over time as there are several very similar but different versions.

I converted one to EOS but I've since sold it, I use an untouched one with my NEX, I made an adapter from an old Petri TC and a NEX-C mount.


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have several copies of the 1.8/55 and it renders exactly like this 2/55. IQ is wonderful, very sharp at infinity. It is very well made, similar to a Takumar.

Petri didn't make it however, they were made by someone else for them and I am pretty sure the maker changed over time as there are several very similar but different versions.

I converted one to EOS but I've since sold it, I use an untouched one with my NEX, I made an adapter from an old Petri TC and a NEX-C mount.


I think you're wrong saying Petri didn't make it. This is surely pre-Cosina cooperation product. Really genuine in all terms. I've had it completely disassembled and mechanics does not resemble other 3rd party lens manufacturers. It might be smaller boutique contractor nevertheless if it works for PETRI exclusively one cannot go wrong by saying it is PETRI.

After reading those topics i am even more sure PETRI did made the lens itself (it made lenses for NIKON rangefinders for example):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petri_Camera
http://mattsclassiccameras.com/petri_vi.html
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Petri
http://www.cameraquest.com/nrfpetri.htm

See similarities with older Petri Orikkor:


And here (1959 model): http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex-q/7608851774/


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That M42 Petri is nothing like the bayonet mount 1.8/55. Out of the 5 copies of the 1.8/55 I have, there are clearly three different variants. There are so many different Petri lenses in the bayonet mount that I'm sure they bought them from more than one maker.

I doubt Sun or Cosina had anything to do with the 1.8/55, it's just so much better made than anything I've seen from those two makers and much better in IQ than any of the old Suns I've had. I had several Miranda lenses made by Sun that are the same age as the petris and there is zero similarity, the Mirandas are so-so in IQ and far behind the Petris.

I don't know who made the Petris but they are better than 90% of third party Japanese lenses of the 1960s.

Another thing that makes me think they bought from different makers is the differences between lenses in the Petri bayonet range. The 2.8/35 I have bears only superficial similarities to the 1.8/55s, I'm pretty sure they were made by different makers, the 2.8/35 is less well made.


Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I doubt Sun or Cosina had anything to do with the 1.8/55, it's just so much better made than anything I've seen from those two makers and much better in IQ than any of the old Suns I've had. I had several Miranda lenses made by Sun that are the same age as the petris and there is zero similarity, the Mirandas are so-so in IQ and far behind the Petris.

This is out of topic here but what proof do you have that Miranda lenses you tried are made by Sun? Did you ever try some REAL Sun lens?


PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart, I will take this lens out for a spin this week and get a few more samples up


PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised a few more from the Petri lens
#1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

#7


PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Pancolart, I will take this lens out for a spin this week and get a few more samples up

Thanks Eddie, seems a cool performer. Here photos of my sample so we can establish the model.




PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the exact same lens