Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing the Sigma Super Wide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: testing the Sigma Super Wide Reply with quote

Also a test for the light seals I installed in the Contax 137MD:

Expired KG200, either some I had or got from Moira, if yours, Moira, thanks! Smile

Lens gives Macro to 1:4, these were CVS processing/scans, had a lot of dust removal. Rolling Eyes

outfit:

[/url]

Lens gives some bodacious flare when aimed towards the sun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done Bill. The light seals and new leather have both been done very well so that Contax looks great now, well done!

I like all these shots a lot, they are all great so hard to pick a favourite, the red leaves perhaps.

I had this lens many moons ago badged Carl Zeiss Jena and I thought it was very good, I bought it new in 1993 from an ad in the back of Amateur Photographer and it served me very well, seems I was right about it being good because you make it look very good here. Smile

I only have two 24mms - Konica and Nikkor, and they are both great, but looking at this Sigma, it's a contender too, which is surprising for a Sigma of this age. Look forward to seeing more shots with it from you in future. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed your admirable retro shot of the PNC Bank entrance way. It takes a gutsy and courageous photographer, oblivious to possible negative police reaction, to risk taking that shot today.

Kudos.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly much better results than I would have expected. Nice one Bill

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the sun looks like ! Very good pictures, it captures the bright light very nicely, the colours are excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely results, that old Sigma looks nice and sharp Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a good lens............interesting to know and see the difference between this lens and superwide II.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, gents, I think for $50 for the lens I didn't get nicked-up too badly. Smile It'll be a 36mm
on the NEX which was also why I wanted it. Can't really find out the difference between this
and the II except maybe the II has better coating, but the barrel is mostly plastic, where this
one is metal.

@Guardian, not courage, but being oblivious helps. Laughing

Thanks, again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this one is probably a better purchase than the II as it's really solidly built. Dunno about coatings, but I found this one has very good coatings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look to have some pincushion distortion, but for a lens that wide at that price I don't think one could complain. Heck people pay more for an LCA which distorts far more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you mention it and I look again, I can see some pincushion distortion, but it isn't objectionable.

It is easy to correct in software, there is PTLens which is easy to use:

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Or you can do it in photoshop, Ken Rockwell always gives details of the correction settings he uses in his lens reviews.

I've never bothered to do any perspective correction with my Konica 24mm, here's some film shots with it for comparison:

I think the Konica has some barrel distortion but it's only really apparent on closer subjects, I think it's one of the most highly corrected 24mm lenses actually, it has a very high reputation.

24mm on 35mm film is a lot of fun imho, I really love the very wide perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24mm Sigma is well known good lens you did prove it Bill, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent performance from the photographer and the lens. I like the look created by KG200 too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Excellent performance from the photographer and the lens. I like the look created by KG200 too!

+1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, thanks again, I do like KG100 and 200 for their colors. One thing I'm also happy about is
hey, the meter works great in this camera (just like in the Contax 137MA). I shot this roll with
ISO set to 160 and zero exposure compensation.

Forgot to add, I also like the close-focusing ability of this lens, which sets it apart from other 24s.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results Bill, congrats to that find! How close does it focus?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thanks!

MFD is 0.6ft/0.18meters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Klaus, thanks!

MFD is 0.6ft/0.18meters

Now that's very comfortable for wide angle macros w/o need for a thin extension ring!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I think is the EOS AF version of this. I love it, but the AF Gave up a while ago (Yes, it was my main lens underground). It also sports an impressive scratch over the front element. It doesn't work with Anything newer than the EOS D60, so it's sat for quite some time in a bag. It was a fantastic lens on my EOS1 though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, the lens comes in several mounts, dunno if this is something you're interested in...

NewStuff, will look around and see if I can find the AF EOS version for my Canon EOS 1Ns, thanks for
your comments!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are using the lens on the Sony NEX-C3. Wanted to see how it held up
under the scrutinizing/unforgiving eye of a digital sensor. First one is at home
the others were on a walk at Wade Mountain today:

and it does do some flare if given the chance:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty nice Bill I'd say...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thanks, I'm happy with it. It's close to a 36mm (35mm equiv) and close-focuses
to about where the Flek 35, does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flare photo is pretty bad. thats unfortunate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
the flare photo is pretty bad. thats unfortunate

Thanks, agree. I included that photo as a warning to others, that this lens does have
a proclivity to flare when directed anywhere near the sun. I was using a WA hood, thinking
that it was still a 36mm FL on a 1.5x crop sensor, but had I used a normal hood, doubt it
would cure the flare and would add vignetting as well. For a 24mm, this is an inexpensive
lens that has a reputation for flaring, a deal breaker for some and definitely not found in a
pro's bag.

The Sony NEX did show the flare spots on the LCD, but I snapped the pic, anyway.