Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoods for Contax Zeiss lenses, do we need them?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Hoods for Contax Zeiss lenses, do we need them? Reply with quote

I've been looking for hoods for my Contax lenses, but they are very expensive for what they are. And to use them you usually need an even more expensive step-up ring as well.

My latest purchase was the Contax Vario-Sonnar 100-300. If I want the step up ring and the hood for this lens, I'm looking at an extra 60-100 euros.

The T* coating handles flare quite well and the lens has plenty of contrast. The step-up ring and the hood would also add a few centimeters to the setup.

Is it really worth it? What would I gain in IQ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look my pictures I never use hood on any lenses what has no built in hood, not only on Contax on much lesser lenses too.
I don't think so hood require on a top lens with top coating like T*.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shading the lens from stray light reduces flare regardless of how good the coatings are. Hoods also give physical protection to the fron of the lens, reducing the chance of dirtying or even damaging/scratching the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cost is a factor, can't you get cheap generic hoods? I assume these work almost as well as proper matching hoods (except for extreme wide angle lenses).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the original hood for the 100-300, the rubber version. It broke, but made no visible difference to my images anyway, so I haven't replaced it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoods for Contax Zeiss lenses, do we need them? Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I've been looking for hoods for my Contax lenses, but they are very expensive for what they are. And to use them you usually need an even more expensive step-up ring as well.
My latest purchase was the Contax Vario-Sonnar 100-300. If I want the step up ring and the hood for this lens, I'm looking at an extra 60-100 euros.
The T* coating handles flare quite well and the lens has plenty of contrast. The step-up ring and the hood would also add a few centimeters to the setup.
Is it really worth it? What would I gain in IQ?

- for several Contax SLR lenses, if not to say most of them, the hood is not indispensable meaning that the T* coating is enough; amongst the most notable examples, I would mention the 1.4/35 Distagon;

- for some Contax SLR lenses, that are more critical in optical design, the hood is recommended if not plainly needed. Some examples: Vario-Sonnar 28-85, Vario-Sonnar 35-135, Planar 2/135;

- metal hoods are in general recommended even if not optically needed, because they protect your lens' filter ring from accidental damage; for the same purpose, rubber hoods are useless;

- Contax lenses use thread mount filters, you don't need to buy the expensive original hoods, genericl metal hoods will do the job perfectly (of course you must choose them of correct lenght).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather think that rubber hoods should protect a lens or the filter threads better than a metal hood? The reason is simple, if the lens gets a slight hit or shock from something, the soft rubber dampens the shock while a metal hood either gets dented or – worse for the lens – transmits the shock to the lens barrel itself. Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top notch lenses and coatings dont need hoods as much as the old days but in some cases
having the hood can make a difference. If you really want the best setup, use a hood.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use hoods on every lens. Like Orio said you can buy good cheap generic ones.
Why compromise quality?