Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there such thing as a tripod-mount adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Is there such thing as a tripod-mount adapter? Reply with quote

As I normally use a tripod, due to the subjects & locations I tend to shoot, I have been wondering...

With special regard to my Tamron SP 60-300 Adaptall-2 lens, it has no ready way to attach a tripod collar, nor does there seem a way to do it without limiting the lens's functional movement. Which leads to my question:

Is there any such thing as a lens mount adapter, which includes an integral tripod mount? Due to the thickness of the AD2-to-EOS adapters, I believe this would certainly be possible, though probably rather expensive. But even so, it could be just what I need.

My other large lenses, Soligor 75-260 and Soligor 400, both have permanent integral tripod mount collars, so I'm not worried about those. But I'd hate to cantilever the SP 60-300 off my 400D, only to find out that the weight would damage the camera.

There seems to be a "large lens extension support" for the Manfrotto tripod legset I own, but it appears to simply utilise existing large-lens tripod collar mounts, and it is rather costly. It would also interfere with basic operation of a lens barrel which needs to be turned and push-pulled.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Am I wishing for something impossible?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sked,

I have the 60-300 also, and have occasionally wondered why Tamron didn't include a tripod adapter in the design. But then, Canon and Nikon both made 100-300mm f/5.6 zooms, and neither of these have tripod mounts either.

As you probably know, the tripod adapter that came with the 80-200/2.8 is removable, and from what I read somewhere out on the web, was intended for more than just the 80-200/2.8. However, I'll wager that 1) this adapter is about as rare as hens teeth when offered all by itself, and probably goes for a lot when you can find one, and 2) probably won't fit the 60-300 anyway (because I suspect the 60-300's barrel is too narrow).

I'm thinking that, if you're most interested in the 300mm end of the zoom's range, you might be able to cobble up something using hose clamps and some PVC tubing and fittings.

Or better yet -- if you have access to some woodworking tools, make yourself one similar to the 80-200's out of a good hardwood like rock maple or oak. In this case, you'll probably still want to clamp it on the barrel, so you would still lose some of the zoom range.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This big heavy lens hanging off a tripod-mounted camera worries me too; the lens gets pretty long zooming too, a longer lever! As you noticed there is no place to mount a ring on the lens; the back part rotates to adjust aperture and the rest of the lens barrel turns to focus. I don't have an AD2-EOS adapter, that would be the only place to attach a tripod-mount, however that only moves the cantilever from the camera mount to the AD2 mount, which doesn't appear to be much, if any, stronger. What would work well is some sort of double-mount that mounts both the camera and has a lens support with a rotating interior. That type of mount may actually exist. Something similar is used to align cameras with telescopes: http://www.alpineastro.com/digital_photography/digital_photography.htm#Micro%20Stage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Sirius gave me an idea of something that would work. You would have to fabricate it yourself, though, either out of metal or even hardwood. The idea is a cradle. You mount your camera to one end of the mount and have an adjustable semi-circular rest or cradle that supports the zoom somewhere toward its front. You could pad the rest with felt or similar, such that the zoom ring could still be rotated and push-pulled, while being supported.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon tripod collar available from HK and genuine Tamron also on Ebay I have it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp-80-200-2-8-ld-30a-t23253.html

Tripod mount is there genuine by Tamron.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a cheap chinese tripod mount ring like this one : Click here to see on Ebay.

As it is too large for the lens, I reduced the inner diameter of the ring with strips of adhesive felt pad.

The trick is to cut the strip narrower than the width of the ring. Otherwise, you cannot use the full zooming range.

Hard to explain with words but I can make pictures this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after spending some actual time looking into the matter, I'll most likely use Jieffe's approach. Most of the collars available don't seem as if they would interfere much with the zoom/focus barrel, and they are rather inexpensive. The only interference would be at the widest end, and this lens really is made for a longer reach.

Many thanks for everyone's feedback.
That's the main reason I keep coming back here. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
Well, after spending some actual time looking into the matter, I'll most likely use Jieffe's approach. Most of the collars available don't seem as if they would interfere much with the zoom/focus barrel, and they are rather inexpensive. The only interference would be at the widest end, and this lens really is made for a longer reach.

Many thanks for everyone's feedback.
That's the main reason I keep coming back here. Very Happy

Your very welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go ...

First, a beauty shot (I took it after disassembly, need to correct the horizontal alignment)

The tripod ring with felt pad applied.

Note that the felt strip is not covering the whole width of the ring. The width is the same as the space between the aperture ring and the zoom ring @ 60mm

The zoom ring was still a little too tight, so I added a fine strip of felt on the lens (the kind that comes in roll)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jieffe!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Manfrotto 293 telephoto lens support.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/3224

It's shown in the link above with a securing strap, but I've found that in practice it's not needed. I use it for my CZ Sonnar 180 and a long tele Yashica where I think the Manfrotto support is surer by far. The focussing ring on the Sonnar 180 is quite deep, but I don't have any problem focussing with it mounted on the 293. It has a 234RC tilt head included, which cleverly means that the camera can be mounted on it with any diameter of telephoto lens. I like it a lot, and often prefer it to built-in collars.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 359 support.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/3217

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
Thank you Jieffe!

Yes. Thank you, Jieffe.
This illustrates my concerns exactly.

I will probably find a source of flexible cork, rather than felt,
but this method is exactly what I had in mind.

While the attachment method will not interfere enough with
the lens to make it unusable, I can certainly understand why
you have made your applications of materials to give it
the best possible movement. I will certainly duplicate
your efforts, albeit with different materials.

I've been wanting to use this lens for quite some time,
and these suggestions have me thinking about all sorts
of ways.

I'm off to buy a collar, and fit it to my lens.
My thanks to all, for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:

Yes. Thank you, Jieffe.

The pleasure was mine Smile

Quote:
I will probably find a source of flexible cork, rather than felt,
but this method is exactly what I had in mind.

I used what I had in my workshop but I found that material to be quite adequate : thick and hard, yet flexible. Cork should do fine too.

Quote:
While the attachment method will not interfere enough with
the lens to make it unusable

With my method, the lens is 100% functionnal and feels secure.

Quote:
I've been wanting to use this lens for quite some time

"The zoom lens that thinks it is a prime" ... best description you can give to it !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
"The zoom lens that thinks it is a prime" ... best description you can give to it !

Indeed, and that's what most others seem to say about it:
An extremely capable lens, and it does not suffer from other lens'
formidable shortcomings.

I offer my thanks, Jieffe, as you have clearly illustrated
my intents to use this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
I used a cheap chinese tripod mount ring like this one : Click here to see on Ebay.

As it is too large for the lens, I reduced the inner diameter of the ring with strips of adhesive felt pad.

The trick is to cut the strip narrower than the width of the ring. Otherwise, you cannot use the full zooming range.

Hard to explain with words but I can make pictures this evening.

Excellent, Jieffe!
I had my eye on one of those for a Tamron 60-300 and thought about reducing the diameter - the glued felt idea is good, but how does it stand up to use and does it clamp tightly? I thought of wrapping the lens with self-amalgamating rubber tape, beloved of electricians everywhere, but it's good to see another take on it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
the glued felt idea is good, but how does it stand up to use and does it clamp tightly?

The felt is compact and keeps the lens firmly in the tripod ring, no wobbling at all. The grip is also better than electrician tape. If I had to do another one, I'd still use felt pad or cork.

I use electrician tape for other projects (securing hot shoe adapters for instance) but for this one, you'd need half a roll to get the proper thickness, not very practical ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local sources of felt are decidedly too thick.
I've had to limit my efforts to clamping the tripod ring around
another lens barrel's smaller diameter, in the hopes it will compress
the felt to a more manageable thickness.
So far, it has not been a sufficient remedy, and the focus barrel
is in direct contact with the tripod ring I have purchased.

If I can find it, I suspect a cork material will offer the proper
solution to my dillemma.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe, you're my new hero! Very Happy

The felt worked just fine.

I purchased this package of felt strips, intended for bottom of furniture
contacts to a floor:

It took some finagling on my part, clamping the collar around my Hanimar
70-140 for a few days. This was enough to compress the felt so I could
then clamp it around the 60-300, but it wasn't easy. I had to stand on the
collar, compressing it enough to thread the clamping screw into the body
of the collar's socket.

The felt strips are around 1/2-inch wide, and I cut them down to 5/16-inch
with a razor knife. I totally botched the first attempt, carving the strips
down so that the focus/zoom barrel collided with the new collar.
My second attempt was much more patient, and properly compressed
the felt before it was clamped around the lens.
The result is a secure and rigid mount, with full function of the lens.

If the felt proves to be an unsatisfactory clamp over time, I will next
go to a cork solution, but the felt is working its charms so far.

Here is the lens in all its encapsulated glory:

Focus/zoom barrel is free to operate, aperture ring is free to operate,
and the lens is suspended by a tripod ring.
It simply doesn't get any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
Jieffe, you're my new hero!

Very Happy

One day, I'll take the time to make an article with all the DIY stuff I accomplished so far ... mainly for my studio (external flash batteries, flashgun mods, ...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
One day, I'll take the time to make an article with all the DIY stuff I accomplished so far
Yes, please do!
I'm sure many of us could learn from you about these things.

Why I'm resurrecting this old thread:
Since I now have 2 cameras, I figured this is as good a time as any
to post a shot of the lens with collar, mounted to a tripod, with my
lovely new Canon EOS 40D attached. What a beautiful sight! Very Happy

This lens will most likely be included during my next visit to the museum.
I've been dying to try it out for real, and this collar solution allays
any fears I used to have about it.

I offer my thanks again to you Jieffe! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
Jieffe wrote:
One day, I'll take the time to make an article with all the DIY stuff I accomplished so far
Yes, please do!
I'm sure many of us could learn from you about these things.

Why I'm resurrecting this old thread:
Since I now have 2 cameras, I figured this is as good a time as any
to post a shot of the lens with collar, mounted to a tripod, with my
lovely new Canon EOS 40D attached. What a beautiful sight! Very Happy

This lens will most likely be included during my next visit to the museum.
I've been dying to try it out for real, and this collar solution allays
any fears I used to have about it.

I offer my thanks again to you Jieffe! Very Happy

This solution looks great on the Tamron 60-300mm. Could you guys tell me the diameter of the lens barrel, where you mounted the collar. I will have to order one for my new vintage Tamron Adaptall 2 60-300mm.

Thanks for your inspiration. Gotta love the internet!

Morten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some info about the chinese made tripod mount ring sizes in my piece here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/238879-modding-chinese-other-tripod-mounts-fit-eg-adaptall-lenses.html

23A is about 62mm around the barrel in front of the aperture ring; 19AH 70-210mm is about 64mm OD.