Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just received a Contax IIa, shall I keep it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Just received a Contax IIa, shall I keep it? Reply with quote

I've always been fascinated by the Contax bodies, I think they are the most beautiful cameras ever designed, but so far I only had a Kiev 4 which I did not like much in use.

Last week I found a Contax IIa body at a decent price (100€ shipped), and I got it today. It's a good user camera, not in collector condition but with no major cosmetical issues, and it seems to be ok functionally: the rf patch has a decent contrast and does not seem to be misaligned, the shutter fires with certainty at all speeds, self timer works. It's not super smooth mechanically (it had a few tens of years of use with no CLA I guess) but not rough either, perfectly usable.

But now I'm having second thoughts: I have a closet full of rangefinders I rarely use despite loving them, many with much better ergonomics than the Contax (larger viewfinder, parallax corrected framelines, focus knob on the lens, etc.). So, despite having just ordered a cheap Helios 103, I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I need advice. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SURE!

Laughing

I have numerous Russian clone basically all and Contax I , Contax IIa, Contax III. Contax IIa if you talk about 'Made in Stuttgart' camera can't take Juipter-12 or pre-war Biogon. All other lenses are works and to me like in cars a Ferrari. If you can afford it surely keep it. My favorite from all KIEV-II and Contax IIa.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I need advice.

I had a IIa with lenses from 28mm to 135mm which I sold since I was using other cameras more often. By now I really regret it and every now and then I look on e...y for another one.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, it turns out I'll sell it, as I have just found a reasonably priced Nex 3 body which I'll use to "scan" mf and lf. So if anybody is interested, I'll resell it at the same price I paid for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a pity, when I read such thoughts...

The RF Contax is a camera that can give any satisfaction in photography. It's a historical piece, still perfectly usable.

Its lenses were the best any photographer could have in his time (if able to afford them!) and their Russian clones (except the Jupiter-12 that -as said- cannot be mounted on the IIa/IIIa) are extremely fine too.

I hope that the next owner of this technical jewel would enjoy it.

All the best,

Enzo