Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yet another quick 50mm test (Nokton 40/1.4 vs EF 50/1.4)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Yet another quick 50mm test (Nokton 40/1.4 vs EF 50/1.4) Reply with quote

Voigtlander 40/1.4 Nokton Classic vs Canon EF 50/1.4

Canon mounted on 550D, Nokton on GH1
First set is Canon, Nokton second.
For myself, now I'm not sure if my Nokton copy is bad or not... Just can't see any sharpness, especially at the edges.
Can anyone suggest any glass with a volume, or "pop", and sharpness similar to Canon's 50/1.4? I mean for the same kind of money.
The usability of Canon's SLRs is just not comparable to GH1, so I'm in search for a fast, sharp, but not harsh Micro 4/3 glass.
I was putting high hopes on the Nokton, and it does deliver in day-to-day usage, when stopped down. But for wide open, is there a better alternative?

@1.4

@2.8

@1.4

@2.8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wide open sharpness at 1.4, I think your best bet is C/Y Planar 50/1.4 or Nikon Ais 50/1.4. Nokton (I have 35/1.4) is not really that sharp wide open. Also, you are comparing two different sensor size...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
For wide open sharpness at 1.4, I think your best bet is C/Y Planar 50/1.4 or Nikon Ais 50/1.4. Nokton (I have 35/1.4) is not really that sharp wide open. Also, you are comparing two different sensor size...

Thanks for the recommendation. And what about shorter lenses, 40mm and down, any ideas?
Also, don't think sensor size makes a difference when pixel-peeking, but yes, Nokton on full-size sensor would probably render less blurry image wide-open.
BTW, had a look at infinity shots @ 8 and 11 aperture settings, from same lenses yesterday. Nokton seems a tad sharper and bit more contrasty especially at the edges. Even on the smaller sensor.
What I'm trying to achieve, is a compact and usable camera with one or two sharp but not harsh lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are shooting m43, there is nothing compare to the native 20/1.7. There are plenty of choices of good sharp lens below 50mm if you don't mind shooting at f2.8, Distagon 28/2.8 or Nikon Ais 28/2.8 comes to mind, whether it's harsh or not is quite personal... but if you are looking for anything faster, then I too wonder what the choices are...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
If you are shooting m43, there is nothing compare to the native 20/1.7. There are plenty of choices of good sharp lens below 50mm if you don't mind shooting at f2.8, Distagon 28/2.8 or Nikon Ais 28/2.8 comes to mind, whether it's harsh or not is quite personal... but if you are looking for anything faster, then I too wonder what the choices are...

I find 20/1.7 too flat on distances more than 2 meters or so. It is sharp, but it comes at a cost of "plastic" flat image.
It is great while close focused, though, and I keep it for that and size and AF. But medium tele/portrait, still exploring... M-glass looks promising in terms of compactness at least.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your biggest problem is likely the sensor size differences. To get the same subject Isolation properties of a 50mm f1.4 on a 1.6x sensor, you need a sharp 40mm f1.1! Also, Larger sensors just have more detail and pop, that's why so many love the FF cameras, or even Medium format.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
Your biggest problem is likely the sensor size differences. To get the same subject Isolation properties of a 50mm f1.4 on a 1.6x sensor, you need a sharp 40mm f1.1! Also, Larger sensors just have more detail and pop, that's why so many love the FF cameras, or even Medium format.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:

Well, I thought of that too, and actually expected larger DOF on M43 sensor. What I see though is absence of a sharp "in focus" plane at all.