Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Broken glass how impact picture quality.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Broken glass how impact picture quality. Reply with quote

This lens is one of my lenses who in worst shape. I bought 10 pcs in batch half of them was okay. Try to guess what kind of result I will get I never tried out yet how impact picture quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this lens really hurts!! Shocked

Since the rear element is broken I guess that it will have a considerable influence on image quality!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Looking at this lens really hurts!! Shocked

Since the rear element is broken I guess that it will have a considerable influence on image quality!

What do your expect ? Big spots, contrast less etc ? I am curious ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect lower contrast, reduced sharpness, very out of focus highlights that become discs might have the shape of the crack showing up in them as a dark shadow but it won't affect in focus areas.

Probably nowhere near as bad as anyone will expect though!

The only thing I'm thinking is that the worst damage is at the back so might have a more severe effect.

Those are my wild guesses!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus may vary across frame if last element is knocked out of alignment; might be obvious 'line' where focus changes, in same orientation as crack line (inverted on image).

Chip effectively blocking light reduces lens max aperture; chip should be invisible if aperture is closed past where chip is inside projected image circle.

In wide open out-of-focus bokeh highlights all dust scratch chip will be seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens was probably used in vietnam war

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say, the lens will do fine pictures after all.

I have seen lots of heavy used lenses in my career as a Pro photograph from my collegues. scratches on front and rear glasses, deep cracks and so one... mostly nothing affects the picture quality seriously, if the glass kept mechanical in place and the cemented elements are not broken/separated..

Only very small areas showing smaller contrast or CA in picture.. not more.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen this page http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html I guess the stuff on the front won't make much difference apart from reduced contrast and sharpness. The big crack on the rear element looks more serious though Very Happy I guess it will probably be visible in the photo as a thinnish out of focus line for the crack and a out of focus low contrast blob for the chip. Might be worse if the element has been knocked out of position. Will probably look a lot worse if there is a strong light source in the photo.

What's the other stuff on the rear element, are they scratches too? Looks like someone was trying to clean it with some wire wool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some shots & post them !!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:

Yes I will do, but interesting to know what people imagine in advance , especially interesting because most people not tolerate any scratch, haze or fungus.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of lenses with small scratches on the front elements & other than a slight loss of contrast, I see no other detrimental effects (I rarely shoot with a light source near the frame so I can't make any observations there). The fact that I shoot with a DX camera & that most of the scratches are toward the edge of the lens, the effect is even less. I only have one lens with a severe scratch & that is at the edge of the lens. No detrimental effects noted with that lens either...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prefer to have a lens that is free from scratches and fungus but in reality it usually makes very little difference until the damage is really bad.

I have a vivitar 75-205 and something has leaked right across one of the inner elements and it only shows up as a shadow in the shape of the dried liquid on oof highlights and even then it's only when you are taking a close up and the background is REALLY out of focus.

I bought two tamron zooms as part of a job lot and both have large scratches on the front elements but I can't notice any difference in the photos unless the sun is in frame which causes more flare than usual.

I also have a tokina 80-200 that has some fungus on several elements and I cannot see any effects even on oof highlights.

Obviously this lens is very bad but it might give surprising results.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Rockwell's tip for scratched front elements it to fill the scratch with black marker pen.

I rather think a severely cracked rear element is lens death.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use a black marker, use "India Ink"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Broken glass how impact picture quality. Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This lens is one of my lenses who in worst shape. I bought 10 pcs in batch half of them was okay. Try to guess what kind of result I will get I never tried out yet how impact picture quality.....

Attila, are 10pcs same 28/2.8? Why don't you use them and have some comparaison test from good/fair/flaw lenses thru DSLR? That's will be very referable. Wink
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIth the kind of damage on the rear glass, I expect detrimental effects on the images at all apertures and situations, but especially stopped down and in backlight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Screamin Scott wrote:

Yes I will do, but interesting to know what people imagine in advance , especially interesting because most people not tolerate any scratch, haze or fungus.

Just today looked at a lens and the seller very storgly emphazised the thing that "All the time I have had UV-filter on the lens .. "

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image quality is quite effected Smile no matter at which aperture result look like this. Click on to get high resolution image.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cover the crack and see if there is some effect?

EDIT: actually take off the rear element, cover the crack from front and put it back?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Try cover the crack and see if there is some effect?

EDIT: actually take off the rear element, cover the crack from front and put it back?

I think rare element is too badly damaged, sometimes I will continue trial when I will have time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you have cheap softfocus lens like this http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-135mm-f-2.8-with-Softfocus-Lens-Review.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio wrote:
now you have cheap softfocus lens like this http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-135mm-f-2.8-with-Softfocus-Lens-Review.aspx

Yes I thought exactly this Smile