Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Retina Ia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Kodak Retina Ia Reply with quote

I picked up this little lovely cheaply (as usual), because there were a lot of cosmetic problems,

There was tape and labels all over it, and someone scratched a serial number on the back. But it cleaned up quite well. It was (fortunately) fully functional in every way, so beyond cleanup it was good to go.

The Retina Ia is of course the early 1950's cheaper version (no rangefinder) of the 35mm folders made by the Kodak-owned Nagel works. I have its upscale version of the same age, a sweet-looking IIa (rangefinder, f/2 Xenon) that has a stuck shutter; maybe thats a project for my old age !

Kodak Retinas are of course very well known, so I won't get into the long and glorious history, except to note that this is a fine piece of German machinery, slick, precise and lovely, a pleasure to use. The 2.8/50 Schneider Xenar is a Tessar-variant with a fine reputation (I used one for many years on my dads Retina Reflex), the shutter is a Synchro-Compur; it just doesn't get any better. And it is very compact, a truly pocketable camera.

The problems come with the inevitable compromises of a folder - it is not practical to use a hood if you are going to carry this around in your pocket; you have to be pretty good at guessing ranges with this version, and there seems to be a degree or flare (which is why I want a hood) - or possibly a slight light leak ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are lovely cameras, and your shots are very nice and atmospheric. i have a retina iii w the full complement of s-k retina lenses and just started again shooting film/slides--only one roll of slide film so far, but i really do enjoy it and the pictures came out just grand. i also use the lenses on my ep1 (which yield stunning results) and my 5d (less stunning, but very nice results).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, well done! I love samples too!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice presentation, as usual. The Retinas really have beautiful engineering, and an overall deco look to them. Heavy chunks though, make pockets sag Smile

The lens shade thing is a pain - they are easy enough to pop on and off though, and I find them easy to carry around open, with a wrist strap, when around shooting. Also, Kodak (and some others) sold thin filters you don't have to remove when closing up the camera.

BTW, the push on shad for the II series won't work with the c/C interchangeable lens models, as these have a metal tab that interferes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series. What B/W film you used? Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arista Premium 100 from Freestyle Photo. I think its actually Fomapan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kodak Retina Ia Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I picked up this little lovely cheaply (as usual), because there were a lot of cosmetic problems, ...

I found one of these in similar condition at an annual photo mart.

Unfortunately, for me, the wind-on mechanism had an issue (including that the film counter wouldn't operate), apparently a common problem.

After having my local guy look at it, I decided to donate it to him (for parts), as it appeared unlikely that it could be fixed. Sad

However, I now have a Retina 1 -in better condition- which works OK (but could stand a bit more use). It does produce that fascinating "retro" look. Smile

(It, also, created quite a sensation, when I took it into a "modern", mainly digital photographic store, where it was older than many of the parents of the counter staff.) Laughing

Interestingly, for the times, these cameras had the relatively high shutter speed of 1/500th sec combined with the small minimum apertures of f22, permitting the use of modern "high speed" colour emulsions of 400ISO: a "supersonic" and almost unbelievable speed for the time of manufacture, thus ensuring their continuing useability in these days, some 60 years later. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interesting, the shutter syncs flash at 1/500 !

Our friends with the DSLR's can't do that !