Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voiglander Bessa 6x9 Compur-Rapid, Voigtar lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Voiglander Bessa 6x9 Compur-Rapid, Voigtar lens Reply with quote

I picked this up in a lot of other things, I was not looking for this camera in particular. This is not a rare camera at all, but even so I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

This is a late-1930's version of the Bessa, with the best shutter available at the time, the Compur-Rapid, oddly matched with a "cheap" 3-element Voigtar lens. I understand there were all sorts of lens-shutter combinations, but I cannot understand the marketing logic of this.

Anyway, mine is in excellent working condition. What can I say ? The shutter is perfect (as best I can tell) the lens is clear, the ranges in the front-cell focus seem dead on, etc. Its not cosmetically perfect, but its still very nice for a 70-year old user camera. It is missing the 4.5x6 mask, as this model could handle both 6x9 and 4.5x6, but thats a small loss.

This is my first Voigtlander, and now I understand the reputation. Even this "cheap" model is solid, precise, and full of thoughtful features, including a very positive lens bed lock and a shutter trigger that does not look like its going to jam - I have several Zeiss types where that is a problem. I have only one criticism, in that the internal cover for the film window is hard to open and close.

Performance is excellent, by my standards, which pretty much amount to being able to easily take a nice picture. I had no problem at all getting perfect shots with this. I am quite happy about the contrast with this uncoated lens, used without a hood ! Perhaps one could say that the lens is not as sharp as it could be, and I think I can see poor resolution and distortion at the corners, but it would take a perfectionist to insist that a Skopar would always do better. Maybe Voigtlander knew what they were doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice samples! I've always said that if one wants a Voigtländer folder, that he/she should get a pre-war one. You simply cannot go wrong with any of the pre-war versions.

Oddly enough I have never seen old Compur Rapid shutters needing service. Even the 1s setting is always working as it should.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet looking lens, excellent results. I think that perhaps the simpler *quality* lenses can produce a good result more reliably.

My two from a similar time frame as yours both have Skopars but the results are much more vintage than what you get with the Voigtar. But a slightly later (still in the '30s) Bessa 66 with Skopar is brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great presentation , thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sample variation plays a part here. I'd say that particular Voigtar is as good as a Skopar and it might be a camera with a history of owners (at least one) who upgraded to a better shutter and kept a known good lens in place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I think sample variation plays a part here. I'd say that particular Voigtar is as good as a Skopar and it might be a camera with a history of owners (at least one) who upgraded to a better shutter and kept a known good lens in place.

+1 I have similar experience with Novars my first camera was very crap. Current one is stunning Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such gentle tone gradation. Lovely for women and children, I think ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but tough enough for a man! Laughing

(sorry, couldn't resist, wasn't that a soap commercial some years ago?)