Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 with tubes.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 with tubes. Reply with quote

As I was coming in the house this morning I noticed a Dragonfly on a Lilly bud. I rushed in to get my camera & it was sitting on the table with the 44-2 on & a set of three tubes beside it. Rather than go upstairs for for my macro lens I put a 20mm tube on the 44-2 & went back to find the fly still sitting on the bud. To my surprise the fly filled the frame as you can see in this pic.

I decided that a 11mm tube would be more appropriate & went inside to switch tubes. When I came back outside the fly was gone & I spotted a very tiny spider - now I could have used the longer tube but I shot with the short one anyway. This pic has about 30% cropped off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning focus and bokeh #1. Good job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you need is the 'Red Green' approach and construct a device that has all your lenses and tubes to hand just as you need them, or a good slave. Wink

Nice pictures though, the Helios continues to amaze me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that first image especially stunning! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharpness of focus and bokeh in #1 does it for me Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! both are awesome Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

This lens continues to amaze me. Here is a very heavy crop of pic #1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can count the dots in the fly head. Great pic.!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done, Ron. I've taken some dragon flies recently, but have not yet resulted in one that clear. I even used the Flek, but focusing is very difficult up close like that. I've also found them very skittish. You are fortunate that he allowed you to get that close.

While I like the dragon fly picture better, the spider shot is a bigger accomplishment given the size of the bug. I spent over a week harassing an orchard spider in my yard, trying a host of lenses, but one I left out was the 44-2. Was that direct sunlight or flash? What aperture? My spider was 1/2" including long legs and it glowed in sunlight, creating an exposure challenge.

Nice job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Very nicely done, Ron. I've taken some dragon flies recently, but have not yet resulted in one that clear. I even used the Flek, but focusing is very difficult up close like that. I've also found them very skittish. You are fortunate that he allowed you to get that close.

Focus was indeed a challenge as I was hand-holding. I took three shots & this was the better one. Clipped off the wing tips with one of them because there was very little space with the fly nearly filling the frame.

While I like the dragon fly picture better, the spider shot is a bigger accomplishment given the size of the bug. I spent over a week harassing an orchard spider in my yard, trying a host of lenses, but one I left out was the 44-2. Was that direct sunlight or flash? What aperture? My spider was 1/2" including long legs and it glowed in sunlight, creating an exposure challenge.

It was indirect sunlight from behind, no flash. Similar size spider as yours, mine was about 3/8" (1cm) across including the legs. Since the spider was not about to fly off I set up a tripod with focusing rails - good in theory but the wind was moving the web in & out so there was no way to fix focus, so I shot in burst mode twice & picked the sharpest frame. The aperture was somewhere between f4 & f2, I forgot to turn the stop-down ring back. Embarassed

Nice job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kastro wrote:
Nice pics! Smile

Fidel ? Laughing (Castro)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, yes... My first name is Fidel... Smile

but its Kastro.. not to be confused with the cuban dictator guy Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron !!!
What great macro shots !!!
They(re really stunning.
I don't have such results with my Helios-44M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron: That spider I had photographed over a full week's time had its web destroyed by a torrential rainfall. It took four days, but he rebuilt it in a better location for photographing. I visited him yesterday, this time with the Helios on an extender, and took a few shots. Only one came close to focus because the web was in a constant movement in wind. Again, I had to handhold because of location and how close this lens needs to be. If I'm not careful with movement, he scoots off and hides in the bush.

I don't know how long the extension is, it's one I made by removing the glass from a 2x extender. I'll try again today in direct sunlight, faster exposure, and tripod if I can manage it. Here's the one shot that was in partial focus. The spider is 1/2" long including legs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kastro wrote:
Believe it or not, yes... My first name is Fidel... Smile

but its Kastro.. not to be confused with the cuban dictator guy Wink

How cool! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Stunning focus and bokeh #1. Good job.

+10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to shoot them, even a slight breeze causes the web to bounce like a trampoline. Good thing spiders are not prone to motion sickness. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for your kind comments.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ron, I was able to get a little closer today. This seems the best I can do. I'll leave the little guy alone now; he's been a good sport.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a colourful spider. I cannot say I have seen an open certre to a web before.

I was wondering if you could have gotten more DoF but your EXIF is blocked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron: I have no idea what the aperture was, but the shutter was 1/125 and ISO200. I didn't want to go higher ISO and the web was fluttering and waving in the breeze too much to go slower shutter, so I set the aperture at f/16 and then turned the stop down wheel until I had the exposure correct for the shutter speed. Actually I deliberately underexposed by a stop, so it was stopped down a little more. If I had to guess, I'd say I was in the f/8 area. I was also quite close, it is not a big crop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice macro especially #1.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice Ron. I think that combo likes you. Smile