Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got my Vivitar Series 1 today...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Got my Vivitar Series 1 today... Reply with quote

Today in the Morning, the Postman brought this fine Lens to me. Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm, f 3,5 (Kiron Version) Got for 10,- GBP at eBay UK and it's really in mint Condition. Clear Lenses, no Scratches or something. Just fine. Front- and Rearcap and a Lenscase was also included

I've had to go to Work then but I've done a few Test Shots and I have to say: I'm impressed. For this Price it´s a fine Lens. A Bargain.

The first two Shots..

@70mm

@210mm

Last edited by tbrand on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low prices for these classic Series 1 Version 1 zooms just astound me. Mine (same version, 880g) was only US$32 (including shipping). I'll admit that I'm more likely to carry a Takumar-A 70-200/4 (660g), or Sears-Ricoh 70-210/4 (650g) or 80-200/4 (560g), all US$9 each, because of weight. But that Viv has a crispness that's hard to beat, especially at such rock-bottom cost.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use my JC Penney 80-200. It only weighs 528 grams, and on my Minolta X370 it feels just right.

But I do plan on picking up one of these Series1 Kiron made ViV. zooms while they are this cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making me feel I paid too much for my version 2 Tokina 710 gm model; fifty something $ if I remember correctly.

Like RioRico I am more apt to mount the Sears 80-200 for the lighter weight.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Guys are right. The Vivitar is no "Lightweight". Nothing to have in your Bag with you everytime.

Whatever, I like the Lens and my Purchase.

Otherwise I would like to know some Recommendations for lighter and good Tele Zooms with OM Mount to put on my E-520.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina version (Type 2 series 1 70-210) is quite a bit lighter but has less macro capability. The characteristics are the same between the version 1 (Kiron) and the version 2 (Tokina) except for the weight and less macro capability. The Tokina version is a little harder to find and will cost just a tad more. Paid 50 dollars US for my group 2 lens and 32 dollars US for my Group 1. The group 3 A lens will cost around 100+ in US dollars. The OM mount ones are not as available as the PK and C/FD and M/MD mount ones. I love them all and use them interchangeably.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great lens and a fantastic bargain. I have the Kiron and Tokina versions and the Tokina version is worth getting if you want a "compact" version of the lens. Nice pics btw. I think even with the weight issues, I think the optics are well worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another Shot of the Roof you´ve seen above at 70 + 210mm. Now I´ve added the Vivitar Macro-Teleconverter x2 and now you see the Roof

@420mm (free Hand)

I guess you can see, that the Image Quality is getting less, but it´s good enough for such a Bargain Lens with added Converter. I´ve seen much newer Lenses with crapier Image Quality at 420mm. Rolling Eyes