Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lense with aperture ring NOT divided into click stops ????
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Lense with aperture ring NOT divided into click stops ???? Reply with quote

Im looking for a nice MF lense that has an aperture ring that is NOT divided into click fstops. I need something that has a totally variable and smooth aperture control for video. I want to be able to use this lense on either a canon or nikon system...although if only canon is available (as I know adapting lenses to nikon is more difficult and I want to avoid glass adapters) that is ok too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take a preset lens and set it to its smallest aperture e.g. f22. Then you can open and close as far as you want, without click stops Smile

Cheap options are older 135mm lenses, the Helios 44-2 (not the 44M or 44M-4), the tiny Industar 50-2.

A really nice one to get would be a Pentacon 135/2.8 preset for fabulous bokeh!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also remove the tiny spring & metal ball that give the lenses the click.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a Tair 11A Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-war design postwar manufactured Biotar 58/2, 15-bladed diaphragm and stepless aperture control. You'll find lots of similar type lenses from that time period.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Just take a preset lens and set it to its smallest aperture e.g. f22. Then you can open and close as far as you want, without click stops Smile

Absolutely !
I like to shoot this way with the preset lenses, especially Steinheil München Quinar 2.8/135, or Helios-40 1.5/85. But they're not cheap ones...

The Pentacon 2.8/135 is a good one and a real bargain.
You can also find good russian preset lenses such as Tair-11A 2.8/135, Jupiter-37A 3.5/135 or Jupiter-9 2/85 or Industar-61A 2.8/50.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some M42 preset suggestions:

37mm Mir 1B f2.8
58mm Helios 44-2 f2
85mm Jupiter 9 f2
135mm lots to choose - Meyer-Pentacon Orestor f2.8, Jupiter 37 f3.5, Tair 11A f2,8, etc
200mm Meyer-Pentacon Orestegor f4

Also early pre-set Takumars are good if you can find any Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other gentlemen are completely right - any preset lens will do for this purpose. There is no need to modify a lens.

If you want to try it out, get a cheap one, one of the 1960's Japanese T-mount types. These can be adapted to any mount including Nikon, with a Nikon T-mount. You can easily find primes from 28mm to 800mm, and even some adequate long FL zooms.