Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Chrome nose lenses are made by Kiron. Photo evidence
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Chrome nose lenses are made by Kiron. Photo evidence Reply with quote

As you can see these are basically identical with the exception of the built in lens shade on the one with the Kiron serial number and the chrome nose on the other one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Not that you need it, but here's a piece of corroborating evidence, from a recent eBay auction:

While its nose is black rather than chrome, it otherwise seems, to my eye at least, to be a twin of your 35/2.8 chrome-nose - but with the proper Kiron "22" serial number designation.

Maybe this series of lenses straddled the ~1970 adoption of the Vivitar serial number code, switching from serial numbers that seem (based on scanty evidence, admittedly) to be related to focal length to "orthodox" serial numbers that fit into the overall numbering scheme.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hey there,

Not that you need it, but here's a piece of corroborating evidence, from a recent eBay auction:

While its nose is black rather than chrome, it otherwise seems, to my eye at least, to be a twin of your 35/2.8 chrome-nose - but with the proper Kiron "22" serial number designation.

Maybe this series of lenses straddled the ~1970 adoption of the Vivitar serial number code, switching from serial numbers that seem (based on scanty evidence, admittedly) to be related to focal length to "orthodox" serial numbers that fit into the overall numbering scheme.

Cheers,

Jon

Thank you Jon. I plan on buying and collecting the "Bright Band" lens as well as the "Chrome Nose" lens. They are right on that borderline of serial number change as you have stated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! I'll send them your way when I see 'em.

And I really like the "bright band" name - I vote we make it official.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two will start another "net" trend... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You two will start another "net" trend... Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
My pleasure! I'll send them your way when I see 'em.

And I really like the "bright band" name - I vote we make it official.

Cheers,

Jon

Thank you for that. I thought for a while what to call them to differentiate them from the Chrome nose ones and my wife brought up that name. I don't know if others will use it or not but I will.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to wrap my head around the Chrome Nose vs Bright Band families of Vivitar lenses. So the Chrome nose came first, probably in the late 1960s, and preceded Vivitar's serial number standardization but are believed to have been made by Kino Precision's Kiron subsidiary. Later, Vivitar standardized the serial numbers to 22xxxx, removed the chrome nose piece, leaving just the bright band. So the Bright Bands are really just a later revision of chrome noses, still made by Kino?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find this lens around branded as Panagor as well, still made by Kino though.