Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing the CHINON 35EE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Fixing the CHINON 35EE Reply with quote

Well, after the first desmay in front of what might have been (and was) a daunting task, It seems the things are getting better.
The camera is in very good shape externally:

After the first investigation, the battery holder was stuck with a battery inside. At first it was impossible to take it out, however a little hammering did the job and the battery finally came out.
The good surprise is that the flushed chemicals remained around the bottom of the camera (the battery cover) not affecting too much the contacts. Since the case is anodized, a little isopropylic alcohol did the miracle: The battery holder and cap are now pristine. Even the contacts.
I put an alcalyne battery on it (just to see if the needle was moving) and bingo!. Every mechanism seemed to work properly...
After this, the second step: cleaning and replacing the sealing.
The rubberish seal was fully degraded, a gummy paste that blackened everything it touched:

Two hours and a half, a lot of isopropylic alcohol (I use a 70% dillution) and a box of earsticks after, I got a clean state:

Now comes the last part: To properly place the new seals and carefully aspire all the inside...

Best regards,
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck! Seems you're doing great so far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Well, good luck! Seems you're doing great so far.

Thanks, I'm putting a lot of effort in it. It's my first...
I chose the Chinon to be the first because it's the cheapest of all the Rangefinders I've got so far (I got it for 4,5 pounds plus shipping... That does'nt mean that it's the worst one!).
Next will be the Konica C35V, that has proven to be good but failing on seals.
Next, the FED-2, the two Canonets (the original one and the 2Cool, the Konica C35 Auto, the Olympus 35RC and if the Zenit 122 would need new seals, it will be the last one (by now).
So I've got a lot of work in the queue.
What most frightens me at this time is to get the Canonet shutter to the right speeds. Seals seems to be matter of patience and careful work.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck Jes; you will have to write a lot of tutorial after all those experience

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
good luck Jes; you will have to write a lot of tutorial after all those experience

The tutorial is alredy written, I just follow it... (I use the Jon Goodman's one).
Yesterday night I put the new seals and a film on it. The camera seems to be in the best status, let's check its capacities with this film.
I didn't take any pictures, I was anxious to put the film in and to shot some pictures with it. The final seals were in place. Maybe not perfect (they are adhesive strips and quite difficult to place perfectly), but I think the result is acceptable...

Best regards,
Jes.