Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-11A Portrait
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Tair-11A Portrait Reply with quote

Don't panic, last one for this evening. Very Happy

Does someone said that you need 85mm for portraits? These was shot with 133mm. O.k., o.k., and a little bit manipulation with FixFoto...

Thanks for viewing.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tair-11A Portrait Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Don't panic, last one for this evening. Very Happy

Panic??
I want more!

Borges wrote:

Does someone said that you need 85mm for portraits? These was shot with 133mm. O.k., o.k., and a little bit manipulation with FixFoto...
Michael

It's funny: my best portraits have also been those with the 135mm.
I guess we are really from another era, my friend!

I love the expression of the child, the framing, and the black and white. But I'm not sure to love the postwork. I'm a bit finicky about postwork that is not to adjust the image parameters. Sometimes I apply that myself, too. It mostly happens when I have a photo that I like with problems that I can not hide otherwise (I admit it). In general, whenever I go for that, I first try and find a value, then cut it to half, then come back a couple of hours later and generally this results in cutting it to half again, if not even removing at all.
Is it possible to see the non postworked version?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent capture, result is fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, my best portraits are made with 135mm.

Edit: I forgot to add that I like the portret although is overexposed but I know you did it on purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done that much in portraits but I agree, the 135 is a good
range, and the J37A is ideal for face shots.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tair-11A Portrait Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, friends!
Orio wrote:

It's funny: my best portraits have also been those with the 135mm.
I guess we are really from another era, my friend!

Orio, for me with my photographical background this would be insolent. Until summer of 2005 I never ever used a cam that has more features like point and shoot. The output was only one film every two years - ugly snapshots. But this summer 2005 I touched a SLR for the first time and I was addicted. First manual lens, the jupiter, came a few month later. The cam was intended as a present for my wife Wink. The problem is that if I am addicted, I need input like others need alcohol. My wife does evening studies, so I had time. Time to read, to test, to search for even the most obscure informations about the lens I bought. And I also read one book after another about composition, beginning with Feininger.

I am sure that I reached this way a point of knowledge for that a not so maniac person needs a few years more. BUT I am lacking totaly in something like experience and feeling. The output is often pure luck. So I'm from no era. But thank you very much for all your comments. This helps to think about it, to get this experience and feel for the right composition.

Orio wrote:

O.k., this evening or tomorrow.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so Right!! Long tele's are perfect for portrait. One needs a large studio but the angle is perfekt.

This portrait is made with a 300mm wide open.

Can't remember any photoshop work. The lens is AF but I use it as an MF mostly. I show it only to confirm the use of long tele's for portrait.

Guido

http://home.scarlet.be/geystersveld/forum/yindy_kl.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tair-11A Portrait Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
BUT I am lacking totaly in something like experience and feeling. Michael

These are two very different things! I can not say anything about the experience, but you certainly are not lacking feeling!

Borges wrote:

The output is often pure luck.

This is true of any photographer, including the biggest names. The art of live photography (as opposed to studio set ups) is about time and life, and man can simply master neither. We do our best, but we are always carried away by the events like a river in flood. Learning how to photograph can be mostly nailed down to learning how to let yourself be carried by the currents.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135mm lenses lave always been perfect portrait lenses (along with the 85mm) on film. And they still are with fullframe cams.

Today with crop-DSLRs you normally look for those effects with a 50mm and a 85mm lens.

But it would be totally wrong to throw the 135mm lenses away, even if you shoot with a APS-DSLR.

Firstly, these lense can be very good and secondly they are really affordable!

Carsten

P.S.: Oh, I forgot: excellent picture!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tair-11A Portrait Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Yes. But I think has not much to do with the output concerning atmosphere and mood.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tair-11A Portrait Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Orio wrote:

Yes. But I think has not much to do with the output concerning atmosphere and mood.

You are right, your version looks better.
But I think it's more because of the B&W than because of the glow.

EDITed to add: I just tried the second one in Photoshop as B&W. It looks great.
Still, your postwork is a very fine work - don't get me wrong. It's just personal taste.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent portrait too.