Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

After the Rain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: After the Rain Reply with quote

direct:
http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/7025/aftertherainve5.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
Great choice in prose to accompany this, Cockburn's lyrics. That Nikkor
has a personality all its own, lovely shot! I like bad weather days... Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the song came to mind before the photo Smile

I will never part from my 85mm Nikkor, not even under gunfire threat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this one Having my usual late night, I only sleep about six hours.
Well I do like it. Nice balance between the blue and yellow, that can often be difficult. The words are a nice touch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Well I do like it. Nice balance between the blue and yellow, that can often be difficult. The words are a nice touch.

I have not touched the saturation. Those are the colors straight out of the Nikkor/Biotar.
Ain't that lens impressive? I am so glad I bought mine. I didn't know about the Biotar thing when I bought it. I have been lucky to know Antonioni's Blow Up movie. That is the lens that David Hemmings uses. So when I saw it on auction I said to myself "gotta have it" because of that movie.
Paths of life are sometimes strange.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add that the colors are due to the fact that I took the picture in the "magic hour" (would be better said "magic minute"), when the night turns into day. One minute before and it was too dark for the blue of the sky to be so intensley reflected on the asphalt. One minute after, and it was too bright and lost all poetry.

The reason why I loved so much to stay in Norway when I was there, is that this moment seems to stay longer. I was in Oslo one November and in the evening you had this type of day/night balance last for very long, like, half an hour. I took great pictures. I must get back to those slides sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the combination of pictures and poetry, if it is done well.

And yours is done well, Orio!

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:

I have not touched the saturation. Those are the colors straight out of the Nikkor/Biotar.
Ain't that lens impressive? I am so glad I bought mine. I didn't know about the Biotar thing when I bought it. I have been lucky to know Antonioni's Blow Up movie. That is the lens that David Hemmings uses. So when I saw it on auction I said to myself "gotta have it" because of that movie.
Paths of life are sometimes strange.

I love the film 'Blow Up'. David Bailey used to be my hero. Not so much for his photography as his attitude and life style. I never wanted to be a fashion photographer but he made me want to be a photographer. the film was based 100% on him. I saw a recent interview with him on TV and he said he couldn't believe all the info they had right 'Even the prices he paid for props' David was once doing a photo shoot for Vogue and the MD arrived at the office and asked whose Rolls Rolce was parked in his spot. When told it was David Baileys he frowned and said my God how much are we paying him?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I really like the combination of pictures and poetry, if it is done well.
And yours is done well, Orio!
Carsten

Thanks Carsten.
I love it too, but like you, I am very finicky. I don't like it as a "special effect" trick. It must be really appropriate or it works against the photo.
in this case, the song came to mind before the picture and was actually the reason for taking the picture, so it somehow felt appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

I love the film 'Blow Up'. David Bailey used to be my hero. Not so much for his photography as his attitude and life style. I never wanted to be a fashion photographer but he made me want to be a photographer. the film was based 100% on him.

Ah, you are telling me something that I ignored.
Hey, maybe Antonioni choosed Hemmings because he shares the same first name!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:

I love the film 'Blow Up'. David Bailey used to be my hero. Not so much for his photography as his attitude and life style. I never wanted to be a fashion photographer but he made me want to be a photographer. the film was based 100% on him.

Ah, you are telling me something that I ignored.
Hey, maybe Antonioni choosed Hemmings because he shares the same first name!

A mine of useless information!
He first picked Terrance Stamp for the part but he turned it down. Much to his regret. Antonioni spent almost a year in London doing his research. Much of it getting info on David Bailey and the life style he and the crowd of pop stars and gangsters were living. The film may at times seem a bit over the top but IMO it is actually tamed down. Oh the times I have spent shouting Yes, yes give a bit more and then jumping on the model !!! maybe thats why my fav and most used FF lens used to be 28mm! You can't get into it at 85mm.
The good old days. Now I use 300mm