Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

astrophoto and sandstorm time lapse movie
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: astrophoto and sandstorm time lapse movie Reply with quote

Beautiful!

http://vimeo.com/22439234

Quote:
This was filmed between 4th and 11th April 2011. I had the pleasure of visiting El Teide.
Spain´s highest mountain @(3718m) is one of the best places in the world to photograph the stars and is also the location of Teide Observatories, considered to be one of the world´s best observatories.

The goal was to capture the beautiful Milky Way galaxy along with one of the most amazing mountains I know El Teide. I have to say this was one of the most exhausting trips I have done. There was a lot of hiking at high altitudes and probably less than 10 hours of sleep in total for the whole week. Having been here 10-11 times before I had a long list of must-see locations I wanted to capture for this movie, but I am still not 100% used to carrying around so much gear required for time-lapse movies.

A large sandstorm hit the Sahara Desert on the 9th April (bit.ly/​g3tsDW) and at approx 3am in the night the sandstorm hit me, making it nearly impossible to see the sky with my own eyes.

Interestingly enough my camera was set for a 5 hour sequence of the milky way during this time and I was sure my whole scene was ruined. To my surprise, my camera had managed to capture the sandstorm which was backlit by Grand Canary Island making it look like golden clouds. The Milky Way was shining through the clouds, making the stars sparkle in an interesting way. So if you ever wondered how the Milky Way would look through a Sahara sandstorm, look at 00:32.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wow...

one of the most amazing sequence of shots I've seen in a while. His other video (Auroras) is equally impressive.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terje is awesome master!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely incredible video.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the most impressiv time laps video collection i ever saw! ^^

touch the soul ...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning. Wonderful. Magnificent. And any other superlatives that might
be in our language. Shocked

Larry

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speechless...

he mentions the equipment... what is the needed equipment to make this type of movies? I assume some sort of timer control for firing the shutter... then what? Motorized pano trails?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, wonder where he live?!? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Speechless...

he mentions the equipment... what is the needed equipment to make this type of movies? I assume some sort of timer control for firing the shutter... then what? Motorized pano trails?

Here's the dolly Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Speechless...

Orio, perhaps some kind of standard intervalometer? In fact, don't some
cameras have intervalometers built in?

I too, would love to try this in the rain forest, where the fog drives in
from the ocean, then recedes to sunshine, which makes the rain
forest change to a large variance of colors, saturation, and light itself.

And, then I start thinking about battery drain, camera protection, lens
filters or not, etc.

EDIT: Oops I just saw the post above "Here's the Dolly". Smile

Hmmm...I see where the X100 has the 3/32 4-pole connector like
the Panasonic line. I would think that the focal length of the X100 might
be a nice wide view.

I bet though, that a good rectilinear super-wide with no heavy distortion,
would REALLY be cool.

CHECK OUT 1:18 TO 1:23! gORGEOUS!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Orio: for starters, one simple intervalometer is enough (there are cheap chinese ones on ebay, the original Canon TC-80N3 is so expensive for that kind of a device. there's also a device called the Little Bramper which is used by timelapse enthusiasts). and of course a tripod.

Laurence wrote:
CHECK OUT 1:18 TO 1:23! gORGEOUS!

I can see definitely how that scene can look visually stunning, but that red/orange light is the very thing that blocks our view from the night sky... In his case, he was high up in the mountain which lessens the bad effect of it, but there are fewer and fewer places like that...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wow! Thanks for sharing. Didn't realise our earth is still beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Thank you! Nice little 3-minute refreshing break for those stuck indoors or at work!. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
wow, wonder where he live?!? Very Happy

Close to you? Smile
https://www.facebook.com/TSOPhotography/