Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 -> PK adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Pentax decided to change from M42 to the PK bayonet mount, they kept the same register distance, 45.46mm. This means when an M42 lens is fitted to a bayonet camera, the lens has to seat on the bayonet mount exactly as it would have done on an M42 camera, so there is no space available for a flange on the adapter, as on the M42-EOS adapter for example.

However, Roxsen sells two types of M42-PK adapters, with and without flanges. It is impossible to achieve infinity focus using a flanged type, like this: Click here to see on Ebay. The correct adapter is a simple ring which fits inside the bayonet mount and finishes flush with its face, like this: Click here to see on Ebay

I have both an original Pentax adapter and a cheap Chinese version. They both work well, the only difference I can notice is the quality of the chrome plating looks a little cheaper on the Chinese version.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an adapter that (as Peter nicely put it) "finishes flush with its face".
It was made by hama and works well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has 2 :

- the one made by Pentax : nice quality (brass coated ?) but need a tool to remove it from the camera, can't stay on the lens so switch from / to PK lens <-> M42 is painfull on action field.

- the flanged one's type, made from aluminium : it's actually screewed badly on the M42 Peleng's mount and I haven't got it removed the "normal" way: I guess it's not well build and has compatibility problem with some M42 lenses screw threads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
- the one made by Pentax : nice quality (brass coated ?) but need a tool to remove it from the camera, can't stay on the lens so switch from / to PK lens <-> M42 is painfull on action field.

Yes, that's a common "problem".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Here are some links: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=22380#22380

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The correct adapter is a simple ring which fits inside the bayonet mount and finishes flush with its face, like this: Click here to see on Ebay

I have that one. Sometimes it stays in the mount, sometimes comes off with the lens. Not very handy, but good enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
peterqd wrote:
The correct adapter is a simple ring which fits inside the bayonet mount and finishes flush with its face, like this: Click here to see on Ebay

I have that one. Sometimes it stays in the mount, sometimes comes off with the lens. Not very handy, but good enough for me.

This is probably happening because the little metal spring clip has broken off - I had one that broke exactly like that. It still worked OK, but the lens can fall off easily if you're not careful. It's so much better with the clip. Because it's only a small cost I think it would be wise to buy a new adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
need a tool to remove it from the camera, can't stay on the lens so switch from / to PK lens <-> M42 is painfull on action field.

You're right that the adapter can't stay on the lens, but I found it's quite easy to compress the spring clip with a finger nail and turn the adapter out of the bayonet. The tool isn't really needed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Riku wrote:
peterqd wrote:

This is probably happening because the little metal spring clip has broken off - I had one that broke exactly like that. It still worked OK, but the lens can fall off easily if you're not careful. It's so much better with the clip. Because it's only a small cost I think it would be wise to buy a new adapter.

Fortunately I don't have any heavy lenses. It still has the metal clip, but I guess it has bent in some way. I think I will buy another adapter soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the clip break on an original Pentax adapter and the adapter got stuck to the camera with the clip jamming it in Sad got it off after a long struggle with a screwdriver.

Last edited by Super Tak on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Flor27 wrote:
need a tool to remove it from the camera, can't stay on the lens so switch from / to PK lens <-> M42 is painfull on action field.

You're right that the adapter can't stay on the lens, but I found it's quite easy to compress the spring clip with a finger nail and turn the adapter out of the bayonet. The tool isn't really needed.

Yes, you're right. I just use my finger nail as well, very easy.