Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sample, Vivitar Series 1 version 2 70-210/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Sample, Vivitar Series 1 version 2 70-210/3.5 Reply with quote

I was walking down our road today & the local birds were in a big fuss & then I saw why.

This shot is cropped down.

This is cropped down big time.

Others with this lens please feel free to add your examples.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to exercise that lens more...Although I have the first three versions of the Series 1 70-210 by Kiron,Tokina and Komine I haven't shot them much at all digitally like I used to on film...will have to give them some exercise....I did recently shoot some other Vivitars in our collection though....one that surprised me was the Kiron built 75-205mm f3.8 close focus two-ring version....wide open & 100% crop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted the Tokina version of the lens early this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Boomer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice samples. Anyone have experience with the Cosina version?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
These are very nice samples.

Very nice indeed!

I think some of these older zooms are really coming back into favor on the crop-format digital cameras, as the cameras crop away the corners of the image where the lenses performed the worst. So you can take a zoom lens that had great center performance and so-so corner performance, and when you use it on a crop camera, it becomes a great lens corner-to-corner. Cool

martinsmith99 wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Cosina version?

There were actually several versions made by Cosina... one with 58mm filter threads, and one with 62mm. It seems to be unknown whether there were any optical differences, but either way the Cosina version is usually mentioned as being less desirable than the Kiron, Tokina, or Komine versions of the 70-210 Series 1. Hopefully someone who owns one can give you a better evaluation, as mine is just repeating what I have read with no personal experience. Embarassed

Do you own this one, or are you considering buying it? One great thing about the VS1 in general is that the prices are really low for a lens of this versatility and quality... and the Cosina versions are the cheapest and most available. Cool

There was also a "Q-dos" version made by Cosina, with a split filter in it to do red/cyan anaglyph 3D images. I would love to have one of these some day. Cool

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Just had to give it a go....a few more with the Tokina built 70-210...100% crops

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stalking cat. Those hummingbird shots are wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the Cosina versions a lot which was why I was asking. I have read that they aren't as good, but I'd prefer a trust-worthy opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! I have the first and second versions of this lens as well as the 75-205 3.8 Kiron version and I always come away impressed by the imagery these Series 1 lenses produce. The more I look into the Series 1 lenses, the more it's apparent that they might have been ahead of their time in lens technology. Wasn't the 70-210 3.5 the fastest constant aperture lens out there back in the day or do I need to research some more? Whatever the case, great glass by a greatly underestimated company.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple more I took with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:
Wasn't the 70-210 3.5 the fastest constant aperture lens out there back in the day or do I need to research some more? Whatever the case, great glass by a greatly underestimated company.

Do not forget that 1st 24x36 zoom lens was a 2.8 (kilfitt zoomar)

In that time, 3.5 was (and still is !) a great max aperture but you could also buy in long focals zooms
    Makinon / Miranda / Soligor 80-200 3.5
    Tokina / Soligor 70-220 3.5
    Sigma 80/200 3.5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have seen the Cosina versions a lot which was why I was asking. I have read that they aren't as good, but I'd prefer a trust-worthy opinion.

That could very well be an urban myth...The general characteristics of the first five versions of the lens including the last two Cosnia versions were basically similar...with the Cosnia versions I'm sure there were improvements made at the long end of the 70-210's optical abilities,that were equal to the third Komine version,with much improved contrast over the first two versions at 210mm...as well as improvements in multi-coating...

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

BTW....sometimes no matter how well the lovely models pose.... there is an occasional miscue....

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this for more about QDOS and also do it yourself 3D... most of us have an off-brand zoom we don't use much?

Mine is a Montgomery Ward which might be seeing a new life?

Doug

http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/Anaglyph.html

Scheimpflug wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
These are very nice samples.

Very nice indeed!

I think some of these older zooms are really coming back into favor on the crop-format digital cameras, as the cameras crop away the corners of the image where the lenses performed the worst. So you can take a zoom lens that had great center performance and so-so corner performance, and when you use it on a crop camera, it becomes a great lens corner-to-corner. Cool

martinsmith99 wrote:
Anyone have experience with the Cosina version?

There were actually several versions made by Cosina... one with 58mm filter threads, and one with 62mm. It seems to be unknown whether there were any optical differences, but either way the Cosina version is usually mentioned as being less desirable than the Kiron, Tokina, or Komine versions of the 70-210 Series 1. Hopefully someone who owns one can give you a better evaluation, as mine is just repeating what I have read with no personal experience. Embarassed

Do you own this one, or are you considering buying it? One great thing about the VS1 in general is that the prices are really low for a lens of this versatility and quality... and the Cosina versions are the cheapest and most available. Cool

There was also a "Q-dos" version made by Cosina, with a split filter in it to do red/cyan anaglyph 3D images. I would love to have one of these some day. Cool

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
See this for more about QDOS and also do it yourself 3D... most of us have an off-brand zoom we don't use much?

Mine is a Montgomery Ward which might be seeing a new life?

Doug

http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/Anaglyph.html

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Maybe you can Very Happy

I've been searching the web for some information and these forums look like just the place.

I'm currently trying to raise some £££ and have come across a camera that used to be my Dads. It is a Canon AL-1, but unfortunately the batteries that were in it have leaked Sad

However, attached to it is a Vivitar Series 1 Q-Dos lens 70-210mm.

Apart from vague memories of looking at 3D photos my Dad had taken with it, I know nothing more.

I want to put it for sale but have no idea on price.

Can any of you folks help out at all please?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested as I've been looking for some years! I have most all the Series One 70-210 (MK 1 thru 4 in various fitments)

If you want to sell, I'd buy!

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest Doug....I've just put a new thread in the marketplace here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
I would be very interested as I've been looking for some years! I have most all the Series One 70-210 (MK 1 thru 4 in various fitments)

If you want to sell, I'd buy!

Doug

It's all yours, Doug. I've spent all my money on film and antique lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some wonderful photos in this thread. I own the first three versions of these lens and must say they all perform very nicely.